North Coast Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancoldblues

Feb 2, 2009
Hi. I'm just wondering about road conditions/safety of the main road going along the Northern coast from Puerto Plata to Samana. We have never been to the DR and are planning to rent a mid-sized car. I hear so many people say how dangerous it is to drive in the DR and that the drivers are crazy and that the roads are bad etc... If anyone could give me a heads up on any potential hazards on this particular stretch of highway, I would greatly apprieciate it. Any other tips for getting around safely are also welcome. I would like to get to the beach without having a heart attack first!
Thanks so much. This forum has been a wondering source of info for me!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I would suggest you rent a small SUV. The roads are ok but ruff in some spots and some cars bottom out. Shouldn't be much diff. in price. Once you get outside the town it's not too bad. Just let them pass you, their going to anyway.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
We just drove that stretch a few weeks ago. Definitely get an SUV as there are some stretches with horrible pot holes in them. If you haven't driven in the D.R. before I'd really recommend you take a bus instead as it takes some time to get used to the way people drive there and a long trip like this might not be the best way to get that experience. Driving at night in particular is bad. At least half the drivers will have their high beams on at all times. Tons of motorcycles with no lights at all. Pedestrians in the middle of no where. On the other hand, it is a beautiful drive and well worth the trip. Good luck and enjoy one way or the other.

Dec 25, 2007
you have to focus on watching for pot holes, your rear view mirror, oncoming traffic and the right side of the road all the time. The people are very casual about the moves and the danger they put themselves in. They are use to this and quite good at it. Im impressed there are not more accidents. Once you get past Sabaneta it gets much better, more relaxed. The pavement is marked for two lanes, it is acually three. Favor the right side a little when people pass keeping an eye out for merging traffic. The taxis are the worst, time is money.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Certainly one of the easiest and prettiest trips around. Ever changing vegetation, pretty straight forward road in usually "OK" condition (for local standards). Comparably "little" traffic.

Yet, advice number one: Take the bus. It's MUCH cheaper. Likely safer. You'll get to enjoy the views and talk to people and still be "protected". You will get more "uninterested" interaction on a bus than when driving around in a car.

But if you really can't resist the urge:

• As advised above, rent a SUV. Be very careful whom you rent from and READ the contract (don't let it just being "explained" to you). Understand that some small (no-brand name) rental companies rent vehicles which belong to individuals for a quick buck. They may be under insured, both liability and vehicle ins. and you may be good for a hefty co-pay (can easily be 2, 3 or 4 thousand Dollars)!
  • Drive slowly but with a certain authority.
  • Keep your lights on during day light too.
  • Yes, focus on pot holes BUT ALSO on the oncoming traffic, usually only focusing on pot holes and thus likely to come on your side, if yours is better.
  • Always keep a full tank of gas. Some stations are far from each other and out there, some stations may at times not carry the fuel you need.
  • Carry LOCAL cash.
  • Carry some USD traveler checks for urgencies.
  • Get a local throw away cell phone with about 500 Pesos credit, so you can call your rental company and your hotel or other local trusted contact in case of an emergency.
  • Get a map (Sirena on the Puerto Plata Malecon sells them).
  • Search this forum for detailed directions to Samana (there was an in depth thread about a year or so ago. Point which mostly stands out: In Nagua at the big intersection, you need to go LEFT and NOT continue straight or you will go to San Francisco de Macoriz.
  • If you are going to Las Terrenas, you will leave the main road LEFT up into the peninsula's mountains just after reaching the peninsula. This is an often steep, narrow and windy road. For most of us, whom are used to mountain roads, this is not a problem. We HONK on curves we can't see the oncoming traffic and drive slowly and try to look as far forward as possible for traffic coming. To the locals, this 15 mile road is know as DANGEROUS, mostly because the don't follow above behaviour and don't count with oncoming traffic when they can't see it. So don't count on them always coming on to you at an appropriate speed and on the expected side of the road.
'nuff said?

.. J-D.

Last edited:

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
JD said it all the best. Must mention that the windy road to Las Terrenas was in horrible condition when we went up it with some of the most impressive pot holes you will see the entire drive. However it was completely worth it as the views along the way and finally at the top were wonderful.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
We just drove that stretch a few weeks ago. Definitely get an SUV as there are some stretches with horrible pot holes in them. If you haven't driven in the D.R. before I'd really recommend you take a bus instead as it takes some time to get used to the way people drive there and a long trip like this might not be the best way to get that experience. Driving at night in particular is bad. At least half the drivers will have their high beams on at all times. Tons of motorcycles with no lights at all. Pedestrians in the middle of no where. On the other hand, it is a beautiful drive and well worth the trip. Good luck and enjoy one way or the other.

What no farm animals? Its always more fun when you throw a few animals into the mix.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
It's no so bad, the only thing is you can go on for miles with a nice surface without a pothole in site and then when you are relaxed and speed up a bit a big one will hit you - not many cars can survive that kind of punishment. (Or people for that matter, I was on a passenger seat and was woken up with a bang every 10 minutes or so !)

Have fun though, it is pretty quiet. Stop at Rio San Juan beach and wherever else you find interesting and make it a whole day trip....

joel spencer

Dec 29, 2003
Worst drivers and roads in the world.

Here are the rules of the road:

Driving in the DR, particularly in Santiago, is a challenging, frustrating, and aggravating experience. When I was thinking about buying a car I predicted that I would either be dead or in jail within 6 months of my purchase. Dead at the hand of another motorist, by gunfire or in an accident, or in jail for killing someone with my own bare hands. This Friday will mark four weeks as a driver and I am still alive and free. Sadly, my prediction is looking more and more accurate. I think that my prediction had some validity. The sense of decorum exhibited in every day life here, whether exhibited in a bank while waiting on line or driving on a street or highway, can be explained with a simple example. Imagine a shoe box filled with ants. Cut a small hole at one end slightly above the bottom of the box. Now place some sugar outside the box. Can you possibly imagine the ants forming a single file line in order to get out of the box in an orderly fashion or, more likely, can you imagine the ants climbing on top of one another in a death struggle to be the first one to get out of the box? What you get with the ants is the Dominican driving experience. To give you a little better feeling for the driving experience here I would like to present the Dominican road rules as written by someone else and amended by me:

#1. Use your horn a lot, for any reason or no reason at all. Blast the guy in front of you for stopping for a red light. In a traffic jam, lean on that horn and add all the racket you can to the general confusion. It won’t help one little bit, but you’ll have the satisfaction of making yourself heard (maybe); something like a child throwing a tantrum.

#2 Always drive at top speed. Patience is a sign of weakness.

#3. If there is a vehicle in front of you, pass it. It doesn’t matter if you have to go around it, over it, under it, or through it; you MUST get in front of it. Even if you are a bus driver and you are going to pull over and stop as soon as you have passed the other vehicle.

#4. If you are a male driver, never let a female driver pass you. A real man can’t put up with that kind of nonsense.

#5. Don’t make left turns. The driver behind you will try to pass on your left while you are doing it, because God forbid he should have to slow down or stop while you make your turn. Pull over to the right and wait until the road is clear for five miles in either direction before you turn; OR, get into the wrong lane half a mile before your turn and make your left from there.

#6. If the driver ahead of you is making a left turn, ram him.

#7. If you are coming out of a driveway or side street, and the only vehicle coming is a motorbike, pull out in front of him. In a collision between a car and a motorbike, the motorbike is going to lose, so obviously it’s up to him to stop.

#8. Ignore traffic lights. They’re only there to impress the tourists.

#9. If you are in a traffic jam, and you see an open lane which might possibly be used to unsnarl the mess, block it as quickly as possible. And don’t forget that horn.

#10. If the vehicle in front of you is passing a vehicle in front of him, pass them both so that you have three vehicles side by side in a line across the highway, going in the same direction. If you’re a public car driver, this is a great way to scare the hell out of any tourists in your car.

#11. When driving at night keep your high beams on all the time. If drivers of oncoming cars find them too bright, well, that’s what sunglasses are for.

#12. Seat belts are silly gringo decorations.

#13. If you see that the car you are overtaking is being driven by someone you know, stay alongside him for a few miles so you can have a chat.

#14. Indicator lights are there to warn other drivers of what you intend to do, but since every other driver on the road is an enemy, why should you give them any warnings?

#15. When you park your car, remember that NO PARKING signs do not apply to you personally.

#16. On the highway stay in whatever lane you choose. If you choose the left lane (considered the passing lane in many countries) stay there and drive at whatever speed you choose. Don't move aside to let someone pass. You were there first. Hold your ground.

#17. My father once said a long time ago that no matter how fast you drive there is always someone who is going to drive faster. With the exception of the people observing rule #16, everyone drives faster than you.

#18. When driving if you get the urge to pee, DO IT. Do it wherever you are. If you are on the highway pull over. If you are on a city street, park and whiz against the nearest building. What do you think your ancestors did?

#19. If there is a left turn only lane at a traffic light that has a left turn only signal, if there are less cars in that lane than the others, enter it whether you are turning left or not. You will save time forcing your way into the other lanes and sometimes if you are really lucky and there is no one in the lane a jack rabbit start will get you ahead of everyone else. This is a great chance to show your driving skill if the turn light has turned red but is still green for those going straight and now you have to merge in at high speed.

Of course, given the number of motorcycles on the road here, there are some special rules for them, too.

#1. When driving along that stretch of highway which runs through a beach town, go at your flat out, top speed. It’s your right to endanger yourself and the community; and besides, people love to hear the noise your engine makes when you have the throttle wide open - day or night.

#2. If you see a traffic jam up ahead, just use the sidewalks. If you should run down a pedestrian, it’s his fault for not jumping out of the way quickly enough.

#3. When you park your motorbike, leave it in a place where it will cause the greatest inconvenience; the road, the entrance to a driveway, the doorway of a store, etc.

#4. Hang your helmet on your handlebar so if you have an accident, people will have something to scrape your brains into after they’ve been splattered all over the road.

#5. It is not necessary to repair broken headlights or tail lights. Car drivers should be able to see you in their high beams, and they generally drive as if you’re not there anyhow.

Oh yes; a driver’s licence is nice, but who really needs one? If you do apply for one remember to bring $500 pesos ($15.00US) to insure that you pass.

Got the idea?

This is from my blog: Two Sheets on a cold night

iluvsosua

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 17, 2008
Be very careful driving...I was going fom Sosua to Caberete to pick up my friend from surfing school and some guy plowed into a horse and killed it. On the way back he left it dead n the street and 2 guys dragged it to the side of the road. Next day, went to drop her off and the dead horse was still there.....disgusting! people there do no give one ounce of respect towards animals!

Status
Not open for further replies.