Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inconsiderate or incoherent?

I've suffered through driving from Santiago to Santo Domingo before dawn twice lately and am wondering what you all think. Does everyone drive with their bright headlights on because they are inconsiderate of the risk they pose to fellow drivers or because they are incoherent of the danger they create for everybody? I especially enjoy the big trucks and busses with their ultra ruthless super halogen lights. Que dolor por la cabeza!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lights

... others do not have lights at all.
    Guess they just do not care.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Because they don't know any better.

When they drive up behind you with their full beam on then overtake, now that aggravates me. I used to let them overtake, then sit behind them with my full beam on, give them a taste of their own medicine. After a while you begin to realize most of these types of drivers are brain donors and it's less stressful just letting them get on with it, rather than fight, you'll never win

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They don't give a [email protected], or just don't know there are 2 positions for the lights
    This is the reasons why I now avoid driving at night... I am very blinded by high beams...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhino r View Post
    Does everyone drive with their bright headlights on because they are inconsiderate of the risk they pose to fellow drivers or because they are incoherent of the danger they create for everybody?
    fellow drivers? what fellow drivers? there are other drivers using the road? really? who knew? they are enemy, then! competition!
    and in any case i see better with the long lights on!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of it is plain ignorance and because many of the drivers are more than likely drunk at night.

Also, there is a certain amount of cultural permissivess that allows one to inconvenience others for personal motives without expecting to be chastised or ridiculed. This is a common motif throughout the culture here and sometimes can get some taking used to.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post

Also, there is a certain amount of cultural permissivess that allows one to inconvenience others for personal motives without expecting to be chastised or ridiculed. This is a common motif throughout the culture here and sometimes can get some taking used to.
    How true is that!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

reality is that since the highways are not lit I myself FULL blast my lights to avoid hitting dogs and other nocturnal creatures

Post Thanks / Like

The "finger" works sometimes...
    Or I angle my rearview mirror so that it throws it back at the idiot.

I used to have a million candle searchlight on my old GMC...that worked sometimes...

I have to agree with Robert's comments that many are effectively brain donors who have taken early admission...

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Most of it is plain ignorance and because many of the drivers are more than likely drunk at night.

thats what makes this country so great...do what you want to do...no one really cares,and....it is the Dominican Republic...thats how they drive,and there is a pecking order on the roads...all busses and guaguas and taxis have right of way,no matter what...then Dominicans in SUVs,then Dominicans in regular Hondas,,and then gringos in their cars..and as a Dominican driver once yelled at my friend Carl...if you dont like the way we drive,go home...then Carl gave him the finger,the Dominican man smild and cut him off again....oh well....and then of course,the motos and pasolas do whatever they want,until they lose an arm or leg...
    bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast