OTTT is OTT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is a link to the report by award winning investigative journalist Nuria Piera on nepotism in the Land Transport Department (OTTT).

Nuria

It makes for fascinating viewing, even by Nuria standards. The interviews with the director are - to say the least - an interesting glimpse into the entrenched mindset of corruption. He doesn't really deny anthing, because he feels it is normal, yet his body language and expressions show that on some level he knows it's wrong, or at least that having it aired publicly is Not A Good Thing. That's my interpretation anyway.

The whole notion of the motoconcho division and its vast payroll is pure comedy - even a Ukrainian satirical journalist couldn't make it up.

Personally I thought Nuria came down too strongly on him about his personal assets which are not as excessive - although his reaction to the questions about the military personnel guarding his empty property was illuminating - "?quien me va pagar mi vida?" - and she should have focused entirely on the nepotism - but watch the way she fires those questions at him - her courage as an investigative journalist is awe-inspiring.

Feb 7, 2007
This would be so funny if it wasn't so sad..... this was unbelievable ... but something that goes around in virtually all government offices in the DR .... for that reason the name comesolos

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I definitely got the sense that she picked an easy target - other directors may not have been so naive.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yeah I loved the part about the "Compadre" whom he's given a job because he's such a "good guy". So much so that the Compadre doesn't even have to show up to work. What's even more telling is that The President or anybody from his office has said nothing about this...they could care less.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Absolutely horrifying. I couldn't watch anymore. What's even worse: There was a one day outrage. One story in the papers, and we never heard of this again....But like I say, if this is what Dominicans want for their country, they can have it.

Mr. Lu

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A good start. The comments speak with one voice.

Maybe he should have taken up dentistry :D