Fast track for retirees

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Anyone experience the fast track for retirees process that was discussed here back in 2005? What are the pros and cons of the process. Back then BushBaby was cautioning
Look at the broader picture folks. Learn the existing laws & offers already on the table (the Official ones AND the un-official ones) before jumping on this bandwagon. Methinks BIG Brother is after a bigger slice of your pie!!
Do you still feel that way? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mack

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Thanks Celt202. It was those postings I had read and was referring to in my OP. I was hoping for some feed back from someone/anyone who had been through the process. Is it worth the hassle? Or is it like Ford suggested?
I think its a start, but yes, if the government uses the information collected to generate a new source of income from enforcing the laws already on the books to collect taxes on foreign earned income - then it is a lightly veiled ploy to scam retirees.
Mack.

Mar 2, 2008
Mack,

I don't see any advantage in using that option. In my opinion, there is no reason to accelerate the process. What would a person really gain?

Some might have a concern regarding a specifically short time line. But if that is the case, they probably did not do enough planning and preparation beforehand.

A person can get a temporary visa rather quickly. The year's wait for the permanent visa provides valuable time for expatriates to become acclimated to their new culture, language, and environment. There is no need to rush it.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Thanks catcher,
My main concerns are the legal driver licence/insurance thing, the hassle and the 1,000.00 peso charge each for my wife and I when we leave and I would generally be more comfortable being "legal" 'cause that's just the way I am. Our plan is not to be permanent residents period but we would like to spend at least the worst 4 northern winter months here every year. If I understand the process correctly the temporary visa comes because you are applying for a permanent visa?
Mack.

Mar 2, 2008
"but we would like to spend at least the worst 4 northern winter months here every year."

Who could blame you for that?;)

And I certainly understand about the expense, and there just doesn't seem to be an easy way around it. That is something you have to decide, no question.

Of course, there is no reason why you have to stay year round even if you did have a permanent visa.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
catcher,
Since I'm not getting much response to the post I guess the answer is as you said
I don't see any advantage in using that option. In my opinion, there is no reason to accelerate the process. What would a person really gain?
any recomendations as to who to use.... other than the obvious Snr Guzman.
Or is he just that good, priced right, etc. etc. that guy would be off his rocker to use anybody else ;)
Mack.