LAWYERS - Don't Bother...re - Immigration Canada

laurar

Jun 19, 2008
Unfortunatley it was our mistake hiring a lawyer to help with our process I had just wanted to make sure that all our paperwork was totally complete with no errors so that we would have not delays. I have had more than enough help here on DR1 who are more informative than the lawyer. You do not know how appreciative I am of that the information I have recieved here.

Anyhow my beef today is I phoned the lawyer (and I would love to use a few choice words but I am trying to be polite) and asked for a copy of our application so that my husband and I can go over things, his response to me was
"No amount of coaching your husband is going to help"

Who the hell does he think he is he has made me feel so degraded from the beginning I am so, so angry at the present moment and just need to vent to anyone who would take time to listen.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
I think the problem in good part is not that you chose A lawyer, but that you chose THE WRONG lawyer. It's an unfortunate fact of life here that poor lawyers, (be they arrogant, incompetent, corrupt, lazy, unorganized, etc) are not in short supply.

There are good lawyers here who respect both their clients and their profession. The trick is finding them. Word of mouth remains the best way.

Better luck next time, I know how frustrating it can be.

laurar

Jun 19, 2008
Your correct, the only problem where I live we had two to choose from, guess I choose the wrong one!!

Johana

May 24, 2006
Wow - that's pretty cold considering that you are paying for their services.
Before I knew my husband wouldn't have an interview I took the application and made up a list of questions which related to everything in the application. Considering other posters have mentioned that the interview questions were related to the application and that yes getting a couple of questions wrong can mean that a visa is denied then the lawyer is wrong and going over the application can help!!!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Unfortunatley it was our mistake hiring a lawyer to help with our process I had just wanted to make sure that all our paperwork was totally complete with no errors so that we would have not delays. I have had more than enough help here on DR1 who are more informative than the lawyer. You do not know how appreciative I am of that the information I have recieved here.

Anyhow my beef today is I phoned the lawyer (and I would love to use a few choice words but I am trying to be polite) and asked for a copy of our application so that my husband and I can go over things, his response to me was
"No amount of coaching your husband is going to help"

Who the hell does he think he is he has made me feel so degraded from the beginning I am so, so angry at the present moment and just need to vent to anyone who would take time to listen.

Call and ask for a photo copy. He will charge you for it and the courier. Did you pay a retainer? Have the photocopy sent to you, he will deduct it and refund whatever is left. Tell him you no longer need his services. If he gives you a hard time, complain to the the Upper Canada Law Society. Complaints

I have great respect for lawyers, they are well worth the money for divorce, refugee claims etc. And I think you get what you pay for... but in this type of immigration application (family sponsorship) I don't think you need a lawyer. And I think he's wrong, you need to prepare for an interview. A good lawyer knows that coaching is essential. They will even hire OTHER people to coach their clients to win.

Don't get angry, stand up for yourself.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I agree - get whatever information you can get now and be prepared for an interview. It seems like everyone is going through them lately.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Especially....if you had a lawyer do the papers and you didn't do them together with your husband.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Call and ask for a photo copy. He will charge you for it and the courier. Did you pay a retainer? Have the photocopy sent to you, he will deduct it and refund whatever is left. Tell him you no longer need his services. If he gives you a hard time, complain to the the Upper Canada Law Society. Complaints

I have great respect for lawyers, they are well worth the money for divorce, refugee claims etc. And I think you get what you pay for... but in this type of immigration application (family sponsorship) I don't think you need a lawyer. And I think he's wrong, you need to prepare for an interview. A good lawyer knows that coaching is essential. They will even hire OTHER people to coach their clients to win.

Don't get angry, stand up for yourself.

Where is the lawyer practising in the D.R. or in Canada ?