guide for whales- Sabana de la Mar

ilovdr

Mar 7, 2009
I know whale season is either coming to a close or complete, however, we found a great guide that took us out to see the whales this past February. His name is Montezuma and he can be found in town if you just ask around. I'm not sure of the street because we randomly found him but it should not be a problem because he is a local legend and everyone knows about him. This was a confirmed story with everyone I spoke with but he swam across samana bay when he was in his 30's which took him an unbelievable 5 hours to complete. But that is irrelevant in terms of his tour guide qualities. He gave us the typical trip which included lunch, whales and a return trip for about $70 for 3 people. We also negotiated an extended stay on the island for some swimming and he waited for us until we were ready. Most of the other tour groups were rushed in and out but he was very flexible. The other great thing for us was that he spoke english. My spanish is not very good so this helped. I just thought I would put this out there. He was a great guide and an extremely friendly person. If you run into him or go on a trip with him tell him that Jason, Katie and Ruby said hi.

Apr 8, 2005
great story ... and interesting

Sounds like a good experience. You're the first person that I can remember going whale watching from Sabana de la Mar. Wow! Do many people do this?
May I ask, how did you find yourself to be in Sabana,,, For years I have wondered how feasable a whale watchin trip is, leaving from thePunta Cana area

Thanks.:squareeye