Authorization letter for travel

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
We just found out that we have to get a letter to allow my stepson to travel with me in Aug. He will be staying behind with me an extra week.
I wanted to know why is it that a minor can travel with you into the country but on your way out you need a letter authorizing him to travel back home with you. Wouldn't it be the other way around.

Thanks

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Firma

we have to get a letter to allow my stepson to travel with me in Aug.

Although I do not know your itinarary and situation nor who has to issue or sign "a letter", I'd be cautious.
It very much depends on the character of the person whose signature is sought whether you'll end up in problems.

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
Well His father would have to sign the letter we were told by the Dominican Consulate. They said he could go in without a problem but since his father was not taking him out he would have to sign a consent. I just found it strange cause I am his stepmother and have legal gaurdianship of him and his sister. We are all American though. My stepson is only 6 years old he's a baby.

Thanks

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
Our travel plans take us to Melia in Punta Cana then I will take him to La Romana my home town I made another post asking how it was since it's been three years since my last trip. But really looking forward to it. The consulate mentioned that they were afraid of Kidnapping it sounded strange that someone who brought the child in would kidnapp the child to bring him out????

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"Baby" To Stay

The consulate mentioned that they were afraid of Kidnapping it sounded strange that someone who brought the child in would kidnapp the child to bring him out????

Hmm, and kidnap the "baby" to keep him in?? :cheeky:

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Kidnapping - as in someone in a custody battle who tries to take their child to another country without the other parent's consent.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Well His father would have to sign the letter we were told by the Dominican Consulate. They said he could go in without a problem but since his father was not taking him out he would have to sign a consent. I just found it strange cause I am his stepmother and have legal gaurdianship of him and his sister. We are all American though. My stepson is only 6 years old he's a baby.

Thanks

And you don't believe the Consulate ?? You don't want problems, well have the letter signed by the father and check with the Dominican consulate if you need that letter to be notorized.

As for the legal guardianship of the children, the father too has legal guardianship, doesn't he ?? and he won't be travelling with you.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
You have to satisfy the requirements of both the DR and the US border authorities. Are you the sole legal guardian named in the court order? If you were coming to Canada, you would bring your court order with you and if another person is also guardian you would bring a letter from that legal guardian.

In the case of the DR, I would imagine that the court order (if recognized in that jurisdiction) would have to be translated and notarized and a letter of permission from the other guardian would also be required. And when you reenter the USA without the other guardian, you also have to satisfy their requirements. Your situation is kind of complicated. Is the father coming with you to the DR and then leaving you in the DR for another week with his child? That might be part of the complication, entering the DR with both and then leaving with only one. Were the children born in the USA or DR? Would an American court order on legal guardianship be recognized in that jurisdiction if the children were born in the DR? This is an interesting case, best of luck!

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
His father will be traveling with us on the way down but has to return because of work. His father has Custody from his previouse marraige and once we got married we have a court appointed legal gaurdian agreement basically giving me the same rights as if I were his mother.
I believe the consulat I just didn't understand the rule. Why it was so easy for him to go in but not to leave. We are all US citizens he is only staying an extra three days.