Sosua by the sea

H

Henk van Dam

Hello,

We're thinking about going to the Sosua by the Sea-resort. Does anybody have some expiriences with this resort ? Is it O.K. ? And what about the nearest beaches to this resort ?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Henk

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Sosua by the sea *PIC*

See a review at http://caribtravelnews.com/c0998_02.htm#domjames or by clicking on the link below.

The hotel is located right up against the sea, on a rock cliff.
There beach located directly on either side.

Facing the water, to the right is a small beach that is in practice, semi-private because it is bordered on both sides by rock cliffs so the only way to enter it would be from the water, or via Sosua by the Sea or 1 of two other small hotels located there.

On the left side is the beach of the Casa Marina Beach and Reef hotels. The beach is public although it too is bordered by rock cliffs on both sides so it is in practice, limited to guests of the Casa Marina or Sosua by the Sea.

At both beaches, one can rent beach chairs and get drinks.

See http://www.bocachicabeach.net/images/beach/casa_marina_beach.jpg or look below, which is the beach at Casa Marina, taken from the rock cliff at Sosua by the Sea.

C

ChicacagoChris

My experience in late November of this year at Sosua by the Sea "Sosua's Finest Hotel" was probably the worst that I have encountered on the north coast. There was little or no hot water and my toilet had difficulty with its pressure. Now that I think about it, there was little water pressure in the showher too. The room needed to be painted and I found the owner (whoever you are) to be particularly uncaring and arrogant. I would not spend another penny there. I lasted one day and checked out. I would not return without a plumbing overhaul, painting and a new owner. I would even settle for a plumbing overhaul and a new owner. It is highly overrated by its owner by puffing it as "Sosua's Finest Hotel." Apparently he has not been to any other hotels in Sosua, particularly the one next door.

C

ChicacagoChris

Oh yeah, and now that I think about it I believe they charged more than their internet advertised price too. My opinion and that's just one man's opinion, you can do better elsewhere.

J

John

try casa marina reef. it is by far much better than sosua by the sea and the price is more or less the same if you go all inclusive.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Sosua by the sea/Casa Marina Beach-Reef

I also had a plumbing problem when I stayed there (it's in the report). That and the air conditioner were the biggest problems I had though.

What I liked about it was the location, the look and layout, the bar (all top shelf available), the food (was very good), the ambiance (very quaint), the service (it blew away the Casa Marina next door), the staff (all were unusually warm and friendly), the size and comfort of the rooms, and the price. We paid US$50 including tax for two people. I never met the owner.

I've stayed there on 3 separate trips, most recently last year. It has always been a pretty good experience for me, and I've stayed in a lot of little hotels in the DR (mostly on the south coast). I rarely expect much from the little places, but I was surprised. You are right about there being a maintenance problem.

I also stayed next door at the Casa Marina Beach/Reef for a week. I had a less than stellar experience there. We paid about US$140 for two per night, significantly more than the Sosua by the Sea, had a MUCH smaller room, and the food and drink were worse. See the full report at http://www.dr1.com/hotels/database/NorSosCasaG3LNG63V.htm.

A

Art Covey

Have stayed at several large and small hotels in Sosua and have found Sosua by the Sea good valve and have stayed there about 4 times over the last 7 or 8 years.

C

ChicacagoChris

Yeah, maybe they all have their good and bad days but is the owner always like that?