Customs and bring second hand clothes for charity

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm a member of a travel community. One of the other members is visiting DR in May and wants to take 3 suitcases full of second hand clothes and shoes to give for charity and he asked me if he's gonna have to declare at customs or if he might get into trouble with customs if he doesn't and they think the items are for sale.

Any other advice and/or recommendation is welcome

TIA

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
The little I know right now is that he's traveling to La Caleta where he says he has friends. He wants to give the families of that area those items.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks guys.

The person gave me some info. Part of the clothes will go to orphanages in Santo Domingo.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I just brought three suitcases of soccer jerseys (240 in total) to PUJ on April 18 on behalf of the Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation.

l just walked through the airport and the Aduana section like I owned the place and out the door to my waiting taxi.

Now being used by local kid's baseball teams.

309ou3n.jpg

Gregg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We always bring extra suitcases with kids clothes - all my 3 yr old grandson's outgrown stuff too - and give it away in the campo (where it's not unusual to see little kids bare-assed). We've been doing it since our now grown children were babies. Everyone we know saves the clothes for us, sometimes we can't fit it all in. We have never been stopped at the airport in the past 20 years or so. Before that it was sometimes a nightmare at SDQ with suitcases being emptied. Now my husband keeps his mouth closed so they don't know he's Dominican, and I greet everyone in English. If you look 'touristy' they will not even stop you.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You can bring clothes to give to the needy. they don't want companies dumping cloths on the market, but breing things for people who need it is ok. They won't have any problem.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
With the airlines being so strict on baggage allowence, are you not getting charged big time for being over? From Toronto, its $20 per kil. I was over last trip, but not by much, and she did let me go, as I said you can keep all the stuff I was bringing for the kids, and she was nice about it. But I did see others,and hear others complaining about the charges for being over.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I going to POP in July and had been wondering about this...I always take alot of gifts with me when the hubby and I vacation but they are all packed in with my things. This time I`m going for two weeks and not doing the AI thing. I`m flying Air Canada who I`m told allows 2, 50lbs checked bags.I`ve been gathering clothing, toys, shoes, medical supplies all kinds of stuff to take.My plan was not to say anything....but I see that many people have mentioned a new customs form that you have to fill out upon arrival and wonder if this may give me any problems? Would a letter from a charity solve the problem if it were to arise?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
With the airlines being so strict on baggage allowence, are you not getting charged big time for being over? From Toronto, its $20 per kil. I was over last trip, but not by much, and she did let me go, as I said you can keep all the stuff I was bringing for the kids, and she was nice about it. But I did see others,and hear others complaining about the charges for being over.

We're allowed 2 bags per person, 50 lbs each. Plus a carry-on each. Summer clothes don't take up a lot of room, and we have clothes that we leave at our house there so we don't need to bring much for ourselves. I actually buy extra suitcases at thrift stores or yard sales to put the give-away stuff in, and we give those away too so we don't have to drag them back. Some of the campo people use them like dresser drawers.
When we flew down in October there were 5 of us - 10 suitcases plus 5 carry-ons - that's a lot of space. In March there were just 2 of us, but we still brought a lot and stayed under the allowance.