Do a Majority of you live in the DR ?

fullboat

Mar 25, 2009
Hello, I joined 60 days ago and was just wondering after reading some posts how many actually live there? Because there are alot of different answers to every post..Like some know the real answer and some are just guessing or they really do not know and just say anything only to be corrected by somebody else...

A

apostropheman

Do you...

Hello, I joined 60 days ago and was just wondering after reading some posts how many actually live there? Because there are alot of different answers to every post..Like some know the real answer and some are just guessing or they really do not know and just say anything only to be corrected by somebody else...
...actually live in the DR? ;):cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Another welcome, fullboat. The majority of posters probably don't live here when you include all the tourists who post their questions etc. So my guess would be that posters who live here would be the minority. Vocal, mind you ;).

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You have not responded to the "Do YOU live here yet fullboat so let me assume for the moment that you do not. If that IS the case, then when you get down here to spend a bit of 'Quality Time' in our midst you will find that there are in fact MANY answers to the same question. It really depends on 'who' you know, 'How' you respond to challenges/frustrations/ ............ & 'What' experiences you have. Messing all of these around in a pot helps determine the way you go after doing what it is you want to do or what you want to get! Oh yes, ...... & the amount of finances you have to throw at the problem has a GREAT bearing on how the true answer is achieved/found!

One of the most beautiful things (in MY opinion) about living in the DR is the inability to find 'BOXES' to put people/things into. We tend to be individuals & as such, find 'ways' of doing things that others would never dream of (or have the guts to do). You can be a round peg in a round hole, a square peg in a square hole .......... or any of the other variations & no-one will mind a jot. The only people who don't make it here though are those who try to be a square peg in a round hole (or some other configuration what just don't fit proper)!!

Welcome to the DR1 unity of Ist World misfits (& loving every moment of it!) ~ Grahame.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
I read the question as a very simple one.

Is the person answering while living in the DR at the time of posting, or are they commenting from their last week's vacation a year ago, or from a Google search. Can make a big difference in the validity and timeliness of the information provided.

The list of people saying where they reside in the DR1 thread is about a 2 to 1 that live outside the DR.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I think that one of the wonderful benefits and great joys of the DR1 Forum is the diversity of the people who post here. There are Dominicans who live in the DR, and Dominicans who do not; there are expats who live in the DR, and there are frequent visitors who live in various parts of the world. What I think all of those of us who post regularly have in common is our love for the DR and its people. We may disagree on a multitude of issues, we may have had different experiences that we report on in the forums, and we may be a little, ummm, forthright in our criticism at times, but, we all share that love and concern for the DR and its people. Most of us check the forum regularly, and give the benefit of our experience, wisdom, and yes, opinions, freely. Sometimes we get it right and when there are other views, others chime in. If you take the time to search a topic or read threads you cannot help but be enriched and better informed.

Reactions: FernieBee

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It?s EASY To Tell Who Actually Lives Here!!!

We don?t "SPIN" everything Dominican to the positive!
We know that the poor here,about 85 %, are NOT "Poor But Happy" as those who have only visited seem to think!
Poor have no health care, no police or fire protection,no education,totally corrupt public officials,and certainly "NO Justice"!
The "RICH" about 5%, or less, look at the poor as a sub-species to be exploited!

"Come On Down!" But bring lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
My March electric bill? 14,500 pesos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
And mine was 1200.00 pesos.. But then again, I only have a 6600 sq.ft. house with 6 BR and 7 baths, and only two A/C's.

My April electric bill was 545.60 pesos. My condo fee is 1550 pesos. I'm being nickled and dimed to death. ;)

To the person who bought my condo in Quincy, Massachusetts: Is the mortgage toxic yet? :cheeky:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My April electric bill was 545.60 pesos. My condo fee is 1550 pesos. I'm being nickled and dimed to death. ;)

To the person who bought my condo in Quincy, Massachusetts: Is the mortgage toxic yet? :cheeky:

$16 for a months worth of electricity and $45 FOR YOUR CONDO FEE. I hope you're not complaining. As far as mortgages here in Canada, I think they are the lowest they've ever been. I have two on two separate place 2,73% and one at 4%. Now if I could only do that in the DR.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
"Come On Down!" But bring lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
My March electric bill? 14,500 pesos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
A suggestion for you CCCCCCCCCCCC ............
Get the wife to switch off the CENTRAL HEATING system during the Winter months & then the AIR CONDITIONING system won't have to work quite so hard!

Agreed I have a solar system above the house to keep the water hot & that keeps my usage below the magical 700 KwH per month but even without that I never went above RD $7,500 per month!!

Mind you, I don't have your extensive family & hareem to look out for either!! ;) :pirate: ~ Grahame.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
$16 for a months worth of electricity and $45 FOR YOUR CONDO FEE. I hope you're not complaining. As far as mortgages here in Canada, I think they are the lowest they've ever been. I have two on two separate place 2,73% and one at 4%. Now if I could only do that in the DR.

I live in the capital Santo Tap?n.

I had planned to keep my condo up north but I had two back to back deadbeat tenants.

I had to eat an $850 US monthly mortgage for seven months until I sold it for an obscene profit in 2004. I paid off the US mortgage, bought a place here for cash, furnished it and banked the rest.

My condo fee in the arctic was $215 US per month and electric ran about $60 per month.

I had wanted to sue the deadbeat tenants but my attorney Bernie advised strongly against it.

Now I'd like to look them up, shake there hands and give them each a ten dollar bill.

My condo here is free and clear.

Sometimes through dumb luck you're in the right place at the right time.

Last edited: