Taxi from/to Playa Dorada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saradk

May 4, 2009
I will be staying at a Playa Dorada resort with a friend in June and am a little confused after reading about the place. I have read reviews from people who did not leave the resort the entire holiday, and that seems like a nightmare to me. We plan on going out in Puerto Plata at night, and I'm wondering if it is totally impossible to get taxis into town and back to the hotel, or why did these people not leave the resort????
Also, could anyone recommend some nice places to go out in Puerto Plata (bars, nightclubs..)? Preferably not too touristy, but also safe for 2 girls...

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
if the resort you are staying at is all inclusive, that is prolly why some people never left the entire time. they just didnt want to spend more money when they had already paid for the all inclusive.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Check out a place called "Homerun" 5 minutes from your resort, for a true local experience!

Cabarete is a fun evening out, I personally do not recommend Puerto Plata City for a night time trip for you.

tambo'

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
You could try to get in touch with Planner (one of the members of this forum) or, maybe, dv8. I went to a very nice dance place in POP with Planner, and also took dance lessons. It was a lot of fun and very safe.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
although very touristy, there are a number of discos in the plaza in the playa dorada complex.

they are all within a short walking distance of any of the hotels.

there will be locals there too but likely they are sankies...watch out for that!

as well, the hotel normally organizes outings after the nightly show to take you some of the discos in/out of the complex.

there is lots to do...you wont be bored

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You could try to get in touch with Planner (one of the members of this forum) or, maybe, dv8. I went to a very nice dance place in POP with Planner, and also took dance lessons. It was a lot of fun and very safe.
Going into Puerto Plata at night is certainly best done with a resident who knows his/her way around & how to react to the varying situations that will arise. Things like safety, drug use & drug related sales/scams have changed dramatically over the last 3-4 years ............ and NOT for the better.

I am led to believe that planner is no longer a contributor or member of this board. dv8 however is still around & may be helpful in this matter IF she has the time. There may be others who will offer their services but THEY will have to come forward themselves. ~ Grahame.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Thanks for keeping me within forum's rules and regulations! I know, I have a tendency to get out of those, occasionally...

Saradk

May 4, 2009
Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies and can't wait for the holiday now. My friend wants to go to a merengue bar/club.. any suggestions??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think in a long run it will be better for you girls to stay in playa dorada complex. you can go to MANGU or CRAZY MOON or HEMINGWAYS or BROADWAY - they play plenty of dominican music (merengue, salsa, bachata, reaggeton).
planner (who indeed is no longer a member of dr1) used to go to some dancing places in POP. i would not recommend you to go there unless accompanied by locals. i personally never visit those places.
if you want a taxi service i can ask one of my friends to help you. he drives a carro publico, is dominican and speaks english. he could maybe drive you around and even take you to cabarete. he is married to my friend and he is a good guy.
does DK in your login stands for denmark?

Saradk

May 4, 2009
Thanks :) It seems that getting a taxi for a few hours is indeed the best way to see the place. Any contacts would be nice, cheers :)

And yes, we're both from Denmark..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
great, because the wife of a taxi driver is from denmark as well. her hubby can even say few words in danish :cheeky:
i will send you a private message with my contact details and we will meet up when you girls are here.
if you have unlocked phone you can bring it here and just insert dominican sim card - cheap calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.