SDQ to Puerto Plata

chi2009

May 1, 2009
I'm driving with my wife from SDQ to Puerto Plata (Sun Villages). Can anyone provide driving directions? I have a good map but wanted to see if anyone has any routes they would suggest.
Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The map is a piece of paper...Driving inthe DR is an aventure to say the least...Ahoot, just crossing from the airport to the Duarte Hwy is a major adventure.

Here is how I would do it. Simplicity not necessarily the fastest way.

As you leave the airport you want to go west towards Santo Domingo.

You will eventually need RD$30 for tolls.

as you approach Santo Domingo stay to the center and use the tunnel. As you come out of the tunnel look for markings on the roadway that say ELEVADO and follow them. Once on the elevated portion stay on the right, and as you come down, go right at the light (Maximo G?mez). Go one long block and take a left at the major intersection. This is J.F. Kennedy. You will be going west.

Follow JFK over three elevated portions and when you come down the third stay in the middle,( NOT going up which would take you back to the sea). You are now set for your trip north. Just follow traffic, be patient.

After the toll plaza, there are still a few traffic lights...yeah I know...Anyway,the going is fairly good and easy until you get to Santiago, about 1 1/2 hours after the toll plaza.

As you reach Santiago, there are a series of traffic lights, and at about the 6th one, be sure to be in the middle or the right lane. You will see the famous Monument up ahead. About 300 meters past that last light (across from a large Shell Station by the way) you bear to the right, go straight for 200 meters and bear around to the right again. You will see a large building on your right that says 'Hollywood', and a traffic light. Try and stay to the left now and go through the light North and West for probably 8 or 9 more lights and you come out on the other side of Santiago at a round about. Go half way around and continue West. that road will come to an end in Navarrete and you will then go to the right (North) all the way to the entrance of Sun Village, which will be on your left and fairly well marked as you approach Puerto Plata.

Good luck.

HB