Requirements for visitor visa U.K

tailor

Apr 11, 2009
My boyfriend from D.R is going to apply for visitor visa/tourist visa wanted to know is there any thing else he NEEDS to do before he goes to embassy this is what he has already :

Letter from his employer saying he WILL be returning to his job after two week visit and good character reference.( His employer has been to U.K 3times on visitor visa).He has passport, he has around $1000 in his bank account which he has been saving since sept 2008, he is going to say he has friends in U.K
NOT girlfriend as ive read this will give him more reason for not returning? is this true? My friend met him in september she is going to write him letter of invitation saying he can stay with her and her partner they own their house and both have very good jobs he is lawyer she is also profesional. Will this letter of invitation help?
He comes from very good genuine family (all went to university) whom he lives with, he doesnt have his own property but does own land, his family have two cars his brother is boss of large company in D.R and has been miami and puerto rico.

I know of lots of dominican men who have been approved of visitor visa in U.K, the main thing the embassy want is reason to return which he will definatly after two weeks. Does he have enough to proove this? and does the letter of invitation need to be translated in to spanish?
I have already read lots of visa info but couldnt find these answers?
Any help appreciated!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think his letter of invitation needs to be translated into Spanish because it's your government he is dealing with. The rest sounds reasonable but they might look at why he only started saving since Sept 08. It doesn't matter where his boss or anyone else have been, this is about him.

Let us know how he makes out

Last edited:

tailor

Apr 11, 2009
Ok. He started saving from september because that was when he met me and my friend. Is it better if he waits longer before going to the Embassy and how long is a good time to show hes been saving for?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok. He started saving from september because that was when he met me and my friend. Is it better if he waits longer before going to the Embassy and how long is a good time to show hes been saving for?

Exactly my point. Five years before meeting a foreigner might be a good time to start saving :cheeky:

There is no guarantee no matter what. All he can do is try

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Good luck with that

U.K visa is as hard like the Canadian Visa.

Very rare to see a crowd of people applying at the U.k embassy in Santo Domingo. if the guy never travelled before to a developed country chances are less to get the visa.

Is good to apply but do not expect to get it put it like a lottery ticket.
he can prob. easy get a visa to Spain before getting one for U.K

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
uk visa are hard to get if you are a men between 18 and 55.unless you are married to a resident here.
my mom was born in france but still got an algerian passeport and get it all the time easily because she is a middle age women.
a friend of mine got it once because i gave him a invitation,he was not dominican but algerian which is even harder but he was resident in france.
good luck,hope is working for you :)

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Would someone be able to clarify what the steps are for applying for a visitor's visa to the UK now that the application is on-line? I have read the following link but am still not entirely clear.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/84157-help-me-understand-visa-process-uk.html

As I understand it the first step is to complete the on-line application. What happens next? This link Visas for the UK says "Your visa application will be processed and decided by UK Border Agency staff.". Is there an interview with anyone at the British Embassy, or the opportunity to discuss your application with anyone? I got the impression that the whole process was handled on-line and it was not possible to speak with anyone.

I am aware that the chances of getting a visitor visa are low, and we did apply about 5 years ago under the old system.

Thank you for any advice.

Adrian.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
im gonna tell you my recent experience regarding my husband visa.we did the application online,printed the form,then he got an appointment in santo dominguo,he dropped all the papers there.they sent it to new york and we had the answer 11 days later by email and he collected his visa 10 later.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Would someone be able to clarify what the steps are for applying for a visitor's visa to the UK now that the application is on-line? I have read the following link but am still not entirely clear.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/84157-help-me-understand-visa-process-uk.html

As I understand it the first step is to complete the on-line application. What happens next? This link Visas for the UK says "Your visa application will be processed and decided by UK Border Agency staff.". Is there an interview with anyone at the British Embassy, or the opportunity to discuss your application with anyone? I got the impression that the whole process was handled on-line and it was not possible to speak with anyone.

I am aware that the chances of getting a visitor visa are low, and we did apply about 5 years ago under the old system.

Thank you for any advice.

Adrian.

First you fill out the online visitors visa application form, then you pay the fee which is also done online. Once the fee has been paid your form is automatically submitted to the British embassy in New York.

As soon as you have paid and your form has been submitted it will ask you to book an appointment at the British Embassy in Santo Domingo to drop off your supporting documents. This is also done online and you can usually get an appointment within a couple of days.

When you go to your appointment in SD you are given a number and when your number is called you go up to the desk and drop off a copy of your application with a passport sized photo attached, your supporting documents and your passport. They will then take your fingerprint and another photo. Then they will give you a receipt for your papers and that?s it. You don?t get to talk to anyone about your application.

If an interview is required this will be done over the phone with someone calling from the embassy in New York. They will call you beforhand to arrange a convenient time.

To give you an idea of timelines - when my partner applied for his visitors visa last August he submitted the online form on Wed evening around 8PM, dropped his paperwork off in SD on Friday morning at 9:30am and received an email the following Tues morning saying his visa had been issued. He picked up his passport and supporting documents that Friday in SD. You can also request for your passport and supporting documents to be sent back directly t you if you don't want to have to go back to SD to pick them up. He didn't have an interview. They did however call his work on the Friday moning when he was at his appointment in SD to verify that he worked there.

That was it - it was all completed unbelievably fast.

I hope that helps.....daydream.

Last edited:

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Daydream and dalila05,

Thank you for your replies. That was very helpful.

Adrian