really stupid, but IMPORTANT question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
this one proably out-stupids all my other questions... but there is a reason.

we're going to pre-book our plane seats ahead of check-in. as it's my partners first time flying, I want to try and ensure she has the best experience possible. From my last visit, I recall an absolutely stunning view of the island as we apporached Puerto Plata AP, overland for a bit, then literally hugging the coastline all the way to landing.... but this was only through one side of the plane... the other side; just sea and sky.

from looking at the airport on Google Earth, I've sussed out the layout and figured out which side of the plane is 'landside' when approaching, but this depends on from which direction the plane lands.... so, a big help if someone could advise whether the planes approach to land at the sea end of the runway, heading inland, or vice versa?

feel free to vote this the most stupid question ever!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

we're going to pre-book our plane seats ahead of check-in. as it's my partners first time flying, I want to try and ensure she has the best experience possible. From my last visit, I recall an absolutely stunning view of the island as we apporached Puerto Plata AP, overland for a bit, then literally hugging the coastline all the way to landing.... but this was only through one side of the plane... the other side; just sea and sky.

from looking at the airport on Google Earth, I've sussed out the layout and figured out which side of the plane is 'landside' when approaching, but this depends on from which direction the plane lands.... so, a big help if someone could advise whether the planes approach to land at the sea end of the runway, heading inland, or vice versa?

That's not a stupid question. It depends on the prevailing winds.

There are some aviators living on the north coast who post here regularly. They know their weather and winds.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

As the previous poster said it depends on the wind direction at the time of your landing...

BUT almost every time we have landed in POP we land from the west so If the view of Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata, the land and mountains is your preferred view I would book a window seat on the right hand side of the airplane (when facing forward). Of course there are a number of other issues which could interfere with your plans but that is the best guess with no guarantees.

Gregg

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
thanks Celt. I'm guessing the landing stage of the route isn't the priority then, more like the main trajectory from Gatwick.... put simply, is the mainland to the left or right of the plane (from a passengers perspective) once clear of the Atlantic?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Per Celt............

...........i would think that the right side of the plane has the best view on most flights............

......even though the mainland would be on the "left" if coming in on a direct line from England to the DR, most approach on a northerly / southerly direction and until time of approach you are not going to see the mainland............

.......I vote for right side!

Unless of course, it is NOT a direct flight and you are stopping in Punta Cana first, then I would say Left Side.!!!!........

.......but to be even more accurate, find a flight path program and watch the path of one of the flights today or another day and see if they approach the island from the north directly or if they come in from say Puerto Rico side and hug the coastline...................

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
thanks guys... it's a direct flight from Gatwick to POP.

anyone know where I can find one of those flight path programs online?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
...........i would think that the right side of the plane has the best view on most flights............

.......I vote for right side!

Unless of course, it is NOT a direct flight and you are stopping in Punta Cana first, then I would say Left Side.!!!!........

I agree with the above. Having said that, even when I have landed at Punta Cana and then on to POP, even though you fly up the coast from east to west when coming from Punta Cana (meaning the land will be on your left side as a passenger), the plane has always then circled out to the right, turned and flew over POP in order to land in a west to east direction when landing on the runway. I would say your chances of getting the best view would be on the right-hand side with a window seat.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
When you fly from Miami to POP, very often the pilot will go over land near the Haiti/DR border and then hug the shoreline all the way to POP airport.

Coming from England, this will not be case though.

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Hi,
Usually from Emgland you approach head on the North coast of the island then bank left to line up with the runway.
Sooooooo left hand side for when you bank so you are looking down on the land, and quite often, the hotels of Playa Dorada.

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
choices..... so, right hand side for better chances of consistent good view, or left hand side for guaranteed excellent bank view....

how about a poll? Left or right? i'll go with the majority!

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
I could be wrong, but from what I am gathering from the different posters is, it depends on where you are coming from.

Miami ... you want to be on the right side of the plane.

England ... you want to be on the left.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Like some posters said:
It all depends on the wind direction!

It has zilch to do from where the flight originated from...

The reason runways have two sets of numbers at each end, neither being the same as the other, is to provide the best landing/takeoff conditions for the incoming/outgoing flight.

You could take a flight out of NYC to POP early morning and land using the east end of the runway, then the flight later arriving that same afternoon will land using the west end of the runway as the touch down entry.

You have better odds picking the next lotto winning numbers than making a 3 out of 3 match on landing headings for POP. The location of the airport also plays a big role on the often changing wind direction.

As the flight approaches the airport, the passengers will be able to see the coast line depending on the original flight path from origin.
A plane coming from JFK (NYC) to POP will allow the passengers seating on the right side to get a nice view of the approaching coastline. But for the same token, if wind direction applies, the same flight will provide the passengers on the left side to be able to hug the closest scenery on their windows as the plane makes the final landing approach using the east end of the runway as landing entry.

It all boils down to luck of wind direction/speed...

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
This time of year is when the trade winds are on the increase and they are from the east so at least 98% of the time landing will be from the west to the east. The usual pattern is east of Isabella for all flights. There are some exceptions because i've been on final from the west and passed to the south of Isabella after following the Haiti coast line in. In the odd no wind situation, control may allow pilot choice.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Book your seat in the right side, the wind in the DR blows east to west and the plains goes against the wind when landing.

JJ

May 5, 2007

You need to talk to someone who regularly operates out of POP. The numbers at the ends of the runways denote magnetic headings, there are two official runways but in actuality it is only one asphalt strip, the "two" runways being obtained from the same strip of asphalt depending on the direction you are using (That wasn't very clear)

The runway used will be dependent on prevailing wind as aircraft generally land and take off into the wind,
If there is minimal or no wind either runway can be used based upon needs of ATC and pilots.
So if wind is from West, plane will use runway 26 (heading of 260o magnetic)and if from East runway 8(heading of 080o magnetic). When I say East or West, the wind could be anywhere in a 180o arc as long as it is not more than 90o cross to the runway

Did I confuse you yet?
The runways not being exactly East/West may be confusing, so; Lets say instead of 08/26 we have runways 27(Direct West) and 9 (Direct East). If the wind is from the West (270o) we will land on runway 27, if wind is from East (090o) we will use runway 9

If all else fails, the captain will turn the carrier into the wind and you have “prevailing winds”

Easiest would be to contact someone at Aeropuertos Dominicanos Siglo XXI S.A. (Aerodom) and ask if there is a "normal" runway departure/arrival direction
I just noted that a resident of North Coast and pilot noted prevailing wind is from east, so runway 8 should be used making land on right side of aircraft

If all else fails, get up to use the Head prior to seat belt sign being illuminated and look out the window :glasses:

Last edited:

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
choices..... so, right hand side for better chances of consistent good view, or left hand side for guaranteed excellent bank view....

how about a poll? Left or right? i'll go with the majority!

My vote goes for left!!

All the times we have flown (Manchester to POP) during May/June/July we have had seats on the L/H side of the airplane just forward of the wing so, when the plane banks, you get a really good view of the coastline, Playa Dorada, Iberostar etc.

Basically I'm just echoing what rayleeds said :cheeky:

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Hi Reidy same here 8 times to the DR at this time of year and every time it has been West to East landing.
I hear what everyone else is saying but unless the winds buck the trend (always possible what with climate change etc;) ) take the left and whatever enjoy the DR

Regards
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.