Punta Cana Grocery Help

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
We are looking to purchase a home in Punta Cana and were down to look at the area but we were perplexed on the lack of grocery stores available.

We went to la Marchetta. Fresh fruit was non existent, which was a shock to me as I expected an abundance of fruit in a tropical country. I also went to Caribe in Bavaro and was shocked by the lack of fresh fruit and vegetables. (vegetables were old and wilted)

People said to me that they make a trip to the Jumbo in La Romana. Is that possible?

How does a family coming there on vacation find fresh local fruit, vegetables and meats? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take a 3 hour round trip.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The quality and selection of fruit and vegetables varies in La Marqueta - don't despair! I agree, the few times I've been to Caribe it's been dreadful. Going all the way to La Romana could also be hit and miss because the quality of fruit and veg at Jumbo is inconsistent, but there is a much larger selection.

Try the roadside fruit and veg stalls in Ver?n, and definitely come to the small market that is held every Saturday morning 9-12 in Punta Cana Village, by MovieMax - A couple of farmers bring in a reasonably good selection of fruit and vegetables together with organic fare from the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation. You can also buy direct from the PCEF, they have a limited selection but their organically grown produce is succulent - usually arugula, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, aubergine/eggplant, basil, parsley, mint and honey.

Meats - try Delicana in Punta Cana Village or the Italian supermarket at Los Corales.

Manzanillo supermarket in Ver?n is surprisingly good on most counts, and the prices are closer to those in the capital on many products.

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
Most helpful thank you as we are looking to purchase in the Punta Cana Resort. I gather I will need to purchase a car. No delivery service is available for supermarkets?

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
I find that Iberia in Higuey can be relied upon for at least a few fresh fruits and vegetables....

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
when i was renting a appartment in el cortecito,we used to go to highey in iberia for the main groceries and the top up was in the local supermarket like amelia(mike i dont know if it still open?) or the one near the orchidea hotel managed by a italian guy(hes got quite a good selection of american and italian groceries).
i never found vegetables very good in d.r. you dont get much choice really,jumbo in la romana is bigger but not better.
near the guagua station for bavaro in higuey you got a local market where i managed to get some beautiful pepper,aubergine and tomatoes but they are not used to see foreigner so careful they gonna make you pay whatever they want.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes, Amalia is still open, but would not be my first choice for shopping in the area today.
for the asked fruits and veggies:
don't buy such at any supermarket,
buy them at the roadside vegiie stands or directly from the trucks/small pick up delivery trucks who sell their fresh products for much less everywhere on the streets.
they have fix days and times for the different areas they drive throu for their sales, just talk to your local neighbours to find out the times for your specific area.
in case of meat i find Supermercado Caribe good, but mostly we buy the meat from the butcher's truck passing our pueblo in cabeza de toro every tuesday and saturday morning, good selection and great quality, and of course cheaper than any supermarket or jumbo or Iberia or such, and no need for a car or to travel or such, just buy at the housedoor.
while Jumbo in La Romana has a big selection of products they are not always cheaper than others, they always have some special deals so the clients come to their shop and buy everything, including the expensive stuff, the typical tactics of all big stores worldwide i guess.
Iberia been my main spot for a weekly purchase before we got the shops in the Bavaro area.
since we have Supermercado Caribe a ride to Iberia in Higuey is not worth the money spent on Gas to get there.
the stores in Bavaro are not more expensive than the stores in Higuey, aside of the weekly special offers each store runs throu the commercials, but those offers for specific products are also present at the stores in Bavaro. one week it's the pasta, the other week it's the 2x1 on Mistolin, the next week the same for other products.
La Marquetta in Bavaro been never a fav place for me, i find the facilities dirty, no good selection, overpriced for no good quality, absolutely zero customers services if you wanna ask for something specifically.
fruits and veggies and meat:
buy them fresh and in top quality from the pick up trucks in front of your housedoor.

and to disagree to one of the prior statements:
the very most of the bigger supermarkets do homedelivery for a small fee, often they do it for free if you make a minimum purchase.
Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Most helpful thank you as we are looking to purchase in the Punta Cana Resort. I gather I will need to purchase a car. No delivery service is available for supermarkets?

You'll be just 4 minutes away from the Ecological Foundation which is the one Chirimoya mentioned. If you're going to be living down here full-time, I would definately recommend getting a car. It'll make life so much easier. If you're coming down a few weeks a year, then there are plenty of rental companies in the area that can offer you a reasonable deal.

For groceries, I usually go down to Jumbo or Santo Domingo once a month or every 2 months then do the rest here in the area. There's a Price Smart in Santo Domingo where you can stock up on everyday things. The roadside stand (on the right going towards Veron) is definately a good place to find fresh fruits. I've stopped there many times and they've always got nice stuff. Not huge quantities or selection but very fresh. Just make sure you wash them well with bottled or filtered water when you get home.

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
Thanks you for all your help. :) Its been most helpful and very interesting.
We are staying in the Punta Cana Resort since we are looking to buy there.
It seems that for fresh fruit, local stands are the best.
Punta Cana Ecological Foundation for vegetables.
Meat will be a bit of a problem. Possible bring it in, since I understand that local meat tends not to be as tender as ours in Canada.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A new fruit and veg shop has opened near the Coco Loco crossing, seems promising.

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
I forgot to mention that I have also had success buying fruit and veggies from the market that is across from the Plaza Artistica, in between the Barcelo Dominican Beach and the complex that has Las Vacas restaurant. There is a pollo frito stand next to it...wish I could remember the name, but it's hard to miss if you're driving/walking around the area.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Thanks you for all your help. :) Its been most helpful and very interesting.
We are staying in the Punta Cana Resort since we are looking to buy there.
It seems that for fresh fruit, local stands are the best.
Punta Cana Ecological Foundation for vegetables.
Meat will be a bit of a problem. Possible bring it in, since I understand that local meat tends not to be as tender as ours in Canada.

Which meat ??

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
She is a he :) Yes I meant beef. I thank you all very much. This forum has been most helpful and even more helpful then the local resources I tried. I will note these locations and try to find them one by one. I will attempt to rent a car and find these spots.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i had beef from the butcher's truck this eve, couldn't be better, i would not bother to bring meat from the outside, btw a huge bunch of rules/laws to follow to do so.
yes,
that fruit stand between the barcelo dominican beach hotel and el cortecito has mostly a good selection.
a bit more pricy than the stands in Veron or the truck in cabeza de toro, bust still very reasonable rates and good.
Mike

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
She is a he :) Yes I meant beef. I thank you all very much. This forum has been most helpful and even more helpful then the local resources I tried. I will note these locations and try to find them one by one. I will attempt to rent a car and find these spots.

Make a search cause theres a thread about beef in the D.R. how to aged it......