Merengue in Montreal Canada

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Eddy...

I decided that I will not be going to festival this year for the first time in four years. Although the programme is awesome, I will be giving the festival a pass this year. I hope I don't regret it but I already made alternate plans for the weekend.

The weather also looks unstable both days. It seems like it will be similar to last Saturday in Montreal. There was spotty rain in the afternoon but not a down pour and it certainly did not stop me from doing my errands. I just walked in the drizzle and when it stopped the sun was back out. I saw Frank Reyes in Montreal in 2005. It would have been nice to see Gilberto Santa Rosa and Victor Manuelle. I think they are both very good PR Salsa singers. Gilberto has a little old school in his style. I guess it is just another reason for me to go back to San Juan, PR on vacation.

Eddy, let us know how it goes and I will be back next year for sure. I hope you are going both days. It's worth it.

-Marianopolita

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I decided that I will not be going to festival this year for the first time in four years. Although the programme is awesome, I will be giving the festival a pass this year. I hope I don't regret it but I already made alternate plans for the weekend.

The weather also looks unstable both days. It seems like it will be similar to last Saturday in Montreal. There was spotty rain in the afternoon but not a down pour and it certainly did not stop me from doing my errands. I just walked in the drizzle and when it stopped the sun was back out. I saw Frank Reyes in Montreal in 2005. It would have been nice to see Gilberto Santa Rosa and Victor Manuelle. I think they are both very good PR Salsa singers. Gilberto has a little old school in his style. I guess it is just another reason for me to go back to San Juan, PR on vacation.

Eddy, let us know how it goes and I will be back next year for sure. I hope you are going both days. It's worth it.

-Marianopolita
I hope the weather will be better this year. Last year I passed because it rained all weekend. It will be nice to touch base with Eddy Herrera after all these years. He used to be a regular "Semana Santa" guest at my restaurant in the old days. Hopefully I'll get some pics. and post them. "With someone's help of course because I've still not mastered it".

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Yes, I hope the weather holds up too

Well, I hope the weather holds up. Last year was a challenge. I went on the Saturday because I wanted to see El Chaval and the salsa was great too. However, when it started to pour the water even flooded the stage a bit which effected the sound but it gave El Chaval even more determination because he played that bachata like it was his last day on earth. The rain stopped eventually and the close of the evening was phenomenal.

I hope you do get to touch base with Eddy H. He is making a come back and is on tour right now if I am not mistaken. Two months ago there was a good article on 'El gal?n del merengue' in the Miami Herald. He has some nice merengues.

This is a recent picture from the article:

68hp3s.jpg

I will help you with the pics if you send me a PM. No problem.

-Marianopolita

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm currently in Montreal for the weekend and will try to make it there. First time up here...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Had a great time

The weather was perfect and the turnout super. Both Frank Reyes and Eddy Herrera had the crowd standing. The latter came in directly from N.Y. for the show without having rested from a performance last night in the big apple. Met some old Dominican friends from 15+ years ago. Hopefully some people will post pics of the event. I've got only a couple of decent ones. New camera and the stage lights (Of course I'm a crappy photographer to start with) results not too good.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I was there last night for Victor and Gilberto (Would have liked to be there for Frank and Eddy, but have to work Tomorrow so had to go back to Toronto). Weather kind of sucked (rainy and cold), but they put on a great show and definitely worth the money. It cleared up a bit by the end and the finale was great...

I'm hoping for Anthony Santos next year...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I was there last night for Victor and Gilberto (Would have liked to be there for Frank and Eddy, but have to work Tomorrow so had to go back to Toronto). Weather kind of sucked (rainy and cold), but they put on a great show and definitely worth the money. It cleared up a bit by the end and the finale was great...

I'm hoping for Anthony Santos next year...

Had me confused there for a sec. untill I realized you were talking about Saturday. LOL. You did miss a great show.