Learning Concho Routes

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Hello everyone,

I want to become less dependent on walking and taking a taxi around Santiago, as taxi's are expensive.

Problem is I have no idea about conchos and their routes, I've tryed paying attention to the ones I see but it still confuses me. I've searched the forums but it seems either everyone knows already or nobody has asked before.

So here's the question,

What are the routes for the conchos and how do you keep track of them?

Thanks,
~xto

B

BettyDiamond

Do you mean guaguas or coaches ...motor conchos are motor bikes type things and will take you anywhere., they dont have a set route

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Like betty said...either you are that new to the DR to not understand the a motoconcho goes exactly where you tell them to....or you must be talking about a bus????

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Like betty said...either you are that new to the DR to not understand the a motoconcho goes exactly where you tell them to....or you must be talking about a bus????

In Santiago, carro conchos aka public taxi (not moto conchos), have a set route !

I don't know how the route system works over there, but it's better to ask a local.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
In Santiago are about 40 different carro publicos route, tell me from where to where you want to go and I'll help you. I've been in transport union in santiago for many years.

JJ

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I think most people refer to them as carro publicos or just publicos. The term concho is usually a short form of motoconcho which is basically a motorcycle taxi which as was said before goes where you want.

Gregg

Sorry, JJ - posting at same time as you.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The good is that all the carros publicos routes goes from one side of the city to the downtown or from one side to the other side going through the downtown.

All urvans routes are named by a letter.

A - From Ensanchez Libertad to Hoya del Caimito passing through the downton
B - From Yaguita de pastor to downtown
C - From Los Ciruelitos to Av. Valerio
E - From El Ejido to the downtown
F - From Cien Fuegos to the down town
G - From Gurabo to the downtown
H - From Hato Mayor to the downtown
K - From La UASD Av. Yapur Dumit to the downtown
L - From Matanzas To the downtown
M -This route makes circle around the city heading Av Estrella Sadhala and circunsvalacion
N - From Pekin and Crito Rey To the downtown passing through Nibaje
O - From La UASD Av. Marnaidy Reyna to the downtown
P - FRom calle Padre las casas & Buena vista ( la gallera ) to the downtown
R - From La Otra Banda to the downtown
T - from Tamboril to the downtown
Z - From punal guayabal to the downtown
ZP - from STI to the downtown

My respect to you Greg.

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I cannot improve on Bachata's post. However, if you go to the Municipal Office Building on Juan Pablo Duarte, they do have a major map of where the routes go....you can check out which ones you will be using.

Otherwise, copy what JJ wrote and ask locals...

HB

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
actually, here in santiago they are called CONCHOS. not motoconchos. and it's the non-santiagueros who refer to them as publicos.
they are the cars that you see on the street with letters on them. they're actually fairly simple to use if you know where you want to go. and they're only 13 pesos a ride.
the BUS, referred to as the OMSA is only 10 pesos (5 if it doesn't have AC) and go all over the city as well.

I think most people refer to them as carro publicos or just publicos. The term concho is usually a short form of motoconcho which is basically a motorcycle taxi which as was said before goes where you want.

Gregg

Sorry, JJ - posting at same time as you.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
actually, here in santiago they are called CONCHOS. not motoconchos. and it's the non-santiagueros who refer to them as publicos.
they are the cars that you see on the street with letters on them. they're actually fairly simple to use if you know where you want to go. and they're only 13 pesos a ride.
the BUS, referred to as the OMSA is only 10 pesos (5 if it doesn't have AC) and go all over the city as well.

Thanks for the regional correction - as always, a day in which something is learned is a great day.

Gregg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not just regional - 'carros p?blicos' are also called 'conchos' in Santo Domingo.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Yes as Hillbilly said it is a good idea to go to the ayuntamiento to get one of those route maps it is more exact and of course I forgot to mention some of them.

JJ

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Thanks everyone for the help!

Yea I meant conchos as in carros publicos, seems what everyone calls them down here.

Thanks for the list helps a lot.

2minicanYork

Feb 9, 2010
How do i get from plaza madera (Sadhal? y Av. Juan pablo duarte) to avenida rincon largo? I just moved to Santiago and i been taking taxi's to and from work :(

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
After all the years I've visited SD, I've got to admit that the public transportation 'system' baffles me too. I'm always either at the mercy of the taxi drivers or I walk. It's very limiting.

Can someone explain the types of vehicles used for public transport?

How do those rag-tag taxis that crowd as many people in as possible, work [I thought they were called the carros publico]? Do they have specified routes and if so, can someone explain what they are/how that works.

Are what you all have described as having these routes, guaguas?

This is very helpful, thanks!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
How do i get from plaza madera (Sadhal? y Av. Juan pablo duarte) to avenida rincon largo? I just moved to Santiago and i been taking taxi's to and from work :(

Calle Rincon Largo ends at Av. Juan Pablo Duarte, so you can walk to take a Carro publico Ruta A , just ask the driver to droop you off in front Codetel corner of Juan P.D. / Av. Estrella S. and you will be right there.

JJ

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow Bachata that's a very helpful list ...............When in Santiago I have taken conchos(carros publicos) which is what I call them...motoconchos(motor).........but the OP will defnilty have a colorful ride in those cars..........

last time I rode in one........one overweight passenger kept talking to the driver about how she was going to cook herself some pigs feet with white rice........:p .............

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
A bit OT; where exactly in Santiago downtown is the place that guaguas to other towns depart from?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Great posts Bachata.

As far as using the carros publicos as I still don't know all the names of the areas of Santiago if I need to use one I just ask the driver if it will take me close to where I need to go. Just like a true Santiaguero!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Most of the carro publicos routes merge the downtown so if you are able to walk a couple blocks to make the tranfer from one to the other you'll save a lot of money enterad of to take taxis.
Ex:
From PUCAMM to Las colinas a taxi ride cost RD. $ 120. but if you take a route K carro publico to the downtown and switch to a Route A Carro publico you will have to pay RD 15. each = RD $ 30. Big different, you better learn carros publicos routes, specially if you use this service in a daily basis.

JJ