Private Investigation-Proof Assets

Florida33

May 26, 2009
I was wonderinng if there is an agency in Santo Domingo or el Cibao which I am able to hire for P.I. reasons. I was married to a Dominican for 10 years and he fled the country with all our savings 8 months ago. I have heard he has property and businesses in his name and I need to get proof.

Anyone can help?

bearcat

Nov 12, 2008
Lady,

I feel sorry for you; but cut your loses and go home. I you hire someone there are few that can not be bought and worse they would continue to play you for money. In the event that you find assets the courts are a joke and a few dollars to a judge would mean that you get nothing. And finally worse if you become a problem you may be harmed. There is no law here.

Most Dominican steal quickly this person planned a long time which makes him dangerous. Go home and thank God it was not worse.

Bearcat

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Send a private message to my friend Charles at "lajackael". He is a licensed PI here in the DR and Virginia.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If the assets are legally registered to his name, wouldn't a good law firm be able to track it down?

... J-D.

Possibly, but at four times the price or more. All they will do is contract a PI and then mark the price up. Same with title searches a lot of times, they send a local surveyor to get the document and then mark it up, more so for foreigners - welcome to the DR.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Possibly, but at four times the price or more. All they will do is contract a PI and then mark the price up. Same with title searches a lot of times, they send a local surveyor to get the document and then mark it up, more so for foreigners - welcome to the DR.

Well, with all due respect, I believe anyone in any country would do the same thing. You want me to wash your car? I'll pay someone to do it and mark it up to charge to you.

More like Welcome to Capitalism.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
Lady,

I feel sorry for you; but cut your loses and go home. I you hire someone there are few that can not be bought and worse they would continue to play you for money. In the event that you find assets the courts are a joke and a few dollars to a judge would mean that you get nothing. And finally worse if you become a problem you may be harmed. There is no law here.

Most Dominican steal quickly this person planned a long time which makes him dangerous. Go home and thank God it was not worse.

Bearcat

Nah, that isn't quite correct. Sure it can happen but it's pretty unlikely.

Searching for assets requires a PI or intimate knowledge of the country, no doubt. But you don't tell the PI any more than they need to know. Just find the assets. Then you decide what to do about it.

That said, I will concur that fighting things in court here is largely a way to enrich the Dominican legal system. The laws remain old and rusty and things such as "damages" are almost unheard of.

Likely all the original poster can do it register her name as an owner (after providing proof, of course) which will prevent any of it from being sold. But just because you own it does not mean you can use it...that's another set of laws.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well, with all due respect, I believe anyone in any country would do the same thing. You want me to wash your car? I'll pay someone to do it and mark it up to charge to you.

It's a little exaggerated here to say the least.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

It only works if you add value to the proposition.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
It only works if you add value to the proposition.

True. The value proposition is that I know where to find someone to wash your car and/or you do not want to deal with it. The value offered is that I am doing it for you.

Look, I know people constantly pad things here for very odd reasons. But if someone is too uninformed, disconnected or simply lazy to do something and they want to effectively hire someone else to do it, then that is hardly a "Dominican problem."

I just get annoyed sometimes when people blame it on Dominicans when, in truth, it is common everywhere. Possibly better hidden, sure, but very common.

Respectfully,