Suggestions

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
I welcome all suggestions. I am interested in finding a place to possibly retire to in the DR. I would like someplace that is within a 15 minute drive or so to the beach, restaurants and/or nightlife but does not have gringo prices. A place like Sousa would be out. No difference if on the north or south coast. Just someplace where rent is very affordable for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. Open to all suggestions. Thanks

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Condo

I think that those condos would certainly quailfy as places for gringos at gringo prices.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I welcome all suggestions. I am interested in finding a place to possibly retire to in the DR. I would like someplace that is within a 15 minute drive or so to the beach, restaurants and/or nightlife but does not have gringo prices. A place like Sousa would be out. No difference if on the north or south coast. Just someplace where rent is very affordable for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. Open to all suggestions. Thanks

Check Guesthouse Holland this for Juan Dolio on the South site, 2 minutes from the beach. Furthermore I have a an American friend in Boca Chica who has a 3 bedroom apartment for rent 10 minutes from the beach. If you would like to contact him send me a PM and I?ll forward you his details.
Brgds
Frank

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Why don't you clearly say what you consider "gringo prices", that way people will know where may be the best place to look at and get most bang for the buck.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Prices

Well from what I have been reading there are apartments available for US$250 to $350 for a 2 or three bedroom. Obviously not on the beach. Hoping to find an area 15 or 20 minutes from the beach and nightlife/restaurants. Not interested in a condo complex geared to tourists. Don't really care if north coast or south. Hope that helps.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

How about a nice home instead of an apartment? You can get one in town here (Cabrera, North Coast) for less than $200K that has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, oceanfront, etc.

Check out Cabrera Real Estate; Dominican Republic Real Estate Agency | Cabrera Real Estate | Abreu Realty | Playa Grande Properties | Rio San Juan Homes for Sale

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002

Perhaps you should consider more important matters.
Seek an area that has consistent, relatively reliable energy. good luck.
Also, seek an area that has the same w/respect to water. good luck.
Furthermore, close to a qualified hospital that can treat you in case of an emergency...good luck there. How about a supermarket, preferrably airconditioned with stocked items....only large cities; expect to pay more$$ for your usual items - local stuff is less expensive.
Nightlife? In a typical beach town its the usual bars, same old restaurants and perhaps some local girly hut.
There are tons of beaches--- suggest you concentrate on Juan Dolio- close to San Pedro (10 minutes) and Santo Domingo (30 minutes). If you want to "retire", you need more infrastructure and services than you can find in most places.
good luck.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
This is the first time that I have posted on DR1. I have been a regular reader for the past 4 to 5 years and decided it was about time I took part. It looks to me as though you are being pointed all over the island, with the best of intentions of course! How well do you know the island and are there any particular places that you have been that you liked? This may be a good starting point from where you can start to narrow down your search, just a thought!

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Island

I want to be directed all over the island. I am looking for suggestions. I am well aware of the conditions in the country. I know there are compromises in all things. Just looking for suggestions. Someplace decent with Dominican prices but not to far from a beach.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I want to be directed all over the island. I am looking for suggestions. I am well aware of the conditions in the country. I know there are compromises in all things. Just looking for suggestions. Someplace decent with Dominican prices but not to far from a beach.

Short of using the "search" function for each area of the island, it may be easier for prospective "helpers" to assist you if you narrow down your options and requirements (other than "non gringo").

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Difference in cost?

All things being equal is a 2 bedroom apt in La Romana the same cost as in Santo Domingo or Santiago? How much difference is there?

B

BettyDiamond

write a list of your requirments and price range and see if anyone can suggest if its a available - cheapest doesnt always work out the best though if everthing breaks down

as for saying which of your options is cheaper la romana santo domingo or santiago it all depends on the specific area , it varies widely in a short distance

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Of course Casa de Campo will be more expensive than Alma Rosa - but if you look at comparable neighbourhoods Romana will be cheaper.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Consultant

No..... I think DR1 is a very informative message board.... and I am looking for information. Duh

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You are right, DR1 can be VERY informative but I also
think mido is right too, at some point you should seek professional help from a recommended real estate office.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

Its not 15 minutes to the beach, but DR1 has voted Santiago the best city in the DR. Local prices, great nightlife, beautiful people. Try to live as close as you can to the best hospital... Hospital Metropolitano de Santiago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia