Quickest Most Inexpensive Way?

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Can someone please assist in the quickest most inexpensive way to get from Iberostar Costa Dorado in Puerto Plata to The Barcelo Capella in Juan Dolio? Your assistance is greatly appreciated! :confused:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You'll have to choose between quick and inexpensive. From Iberostar you can take a cab (quick) or public transport (inexpensive) to Caribe or Metro in Pto Pta. Take that bus to SD, then a cab (only about $5) to the stop (parada) for Bavaro Express or a local bus company that goes east, they all pass Juan Dolio. You can walk or take a cab or moto from the highway at the entrance closest to the Barcelo. This trip will take the better part of a day...

The quickest would be to rent a car or take a taxi/hire a driver - the drive, via the Samana-SD highway is pretty easy, very scenic, and will probably take about 3.5 hours door to door. Taxi would probably run $150-$200...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
You'll have to choose between quick and inexpensive. From Iberostar you can take a cab (quick) or public transport (inexpensive) to Caribe or Metro in Pto Pta. Take that bus to SD, then a cab (only about $5) to the stop (parada) for Bavaro Express or a local bus company that goes east, they all pass Juan Dolio. You can walk or take a cab or moto from the highway at the entrance closest to the Barcelo. This trip will take the better part of a day...

The quickest would be to rent a car or take a taxi/hire a driver - the drive, via the Samana-SD highway is pretty easy, very scenic, and will probably take about 3.5 hours door to door. Taxi would probably run $150-$200...

May be better off going to Parque Enriquillo in SD and hopping on the La Romana bus.
Last time I took Bavaro Express the driver didnt want to let me off in JD as he said it was an express service:ermm: ....that was about 4 yrs ago so not sure if anything has changed in the interim.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
May be better off going to Parque Enriquillo in SD and hopping on the La Romana bus.
Last time I took Bavaro Express the driver didnt want to let me off in JD as he said it was an express service:ermm: ....that was about 4 yrs ago so not sure if anything has changed in the interim.

I got off in Juan Dolio coming from Bavaro...but taking a local Juan Dolio bus would probably make more sense...and be cheaper...

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
The quickest would be to rent a car or take a taxi/hire a driver - the drive, via the Samana-SD highway is pretty easy, very scenic, and will probably take about 3.5 hours door to door. Taxi would probably run $150-$200...[/QUOTE]

is it really 3.5 hrs ? i didnt know it would be so quick from pop area to laromana via the new highway.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not think that going from Puerto Plata via the new Samana highway would be any quicker that going to Sto Do via the Duarte Hwy and on to Juan Dolio...
The tolls are ten times higher for one, and it just seems roundabout for another.
Maybe if you were in Cabarete or Rio San Juan, certainly, but not POP.

I think I would take the Metro option to Santo Domingo, and then the La Romana bus from Parque Enriquillo, being sure to ask if they stop in Juan Dolio. This would be the cheapest option...

Have a good trip...

HB

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Thank You

Thank You all for your responses. I think I will go with the Metro, and continue on by taxi. What is the going rate for taxi from the bus station to The Barcelo Capella? I don't want to "get beat in the head" (an American phase we use for being over charged lol)

Thanks Again!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thank You all for your responses. I think I will go with the Metro, and continue on by taxi. What is the going rate for taxi from the bus station to The Barcelo Capella? I don't want to "get beat in the head" (an American phase we use for being over charged lol)

Thanks Again!

Going rate???? Anything the taxi driver wants to charge you...and definately not the cheapest.
Good luck and ensure you negotiate a rate before stepping inside the vehicle...although not guaranteed.
Cab ride will be approx 45 mins - 1hr, driver-dependant.

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Thank You all for your replies. I just returned from The Domincan Republic.

Everything worked out great! Prieto tours gave us courtest transportation to POP Metro bus station, then picked us up in Santo Domingo and transported us to Barcelo Capella.

Thanks again

Feb 7, 2007
La Romana "caliente" bus will go via Juan Dolio. Express bus will not. There are few calientes and more express buses to LRM.

Go to San Pedro bus stop in Parque Enriquillo (on Jose Marti almost crn. Mexico) and take the bus from there.