Change of name ....help needed please!!!

miss confused

May 29, 2009
Hi
I've been reading the forums for over a year now but have never posted before. I was wondering if anyone could help me?
My boyfriend recently applied for a name change, through a lawyer, and the paperwork given to him said it would be completed by 15th May. Since this date he has been ringing and ringing the lawyer but he does not answer. My boyfriend is getting quite frustrated and I don't know what to suggest.How can he find out if his name has been changed and if it has how can he get proof?
We have our wedding booked for August and I really don't want this to spoil it. I live in England so I don't know how your systems work. Surely there must be a number he can ring???

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Hi
I've been reading the forums for over a year now but have never posted before. I was wondering if anyone could help me?
My boyfriend recently applied for a name change, through a lawyer, and the paperwork given to him said it would be completed by 15th May. Since this date he has been ringing and ringing the lawyer but he does not answer. My boyfriend is getting quite frustrated and I don't know what to suggest.How can he find out if his name has been changed and if it has how can he get proof?
We have our wedding booked for August and I really don't want this to spoil it. I live in England so I don't know how your systems work. Surely there must be a number he can ring???

A name change in this country is more difficult than you imagine. It has less to do with the law and more to do with the culture. Remember, your name(s) to a Dominican are an articulation of your ancestors (and history).

I was informed by a friend of an interesting challenge he encountered when he was changing his name. Basically the entity in the government who is responsible could literally not understand how anyone could change their name. You cannot change your ancestors and history, so how can you change your name.

But, it is legally possible to do although it takes much longer than people realize. In the US (where I am from) names mean nothing and change is as easy as a court order. Here? Way different!

miss confused

May 29, 2009
Thanks for the reply but my boyfriend is only changing one of his surnames (his mothers) because his never got changed when his mothers and brothers did. The problem we are faced with is : how can we find out if the lawyer did what he paid him to do (change his name) and how can we get copies of the papers?

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Has your boyfriend been to visit the lawyers office instead of calling all the time?

He really should go and talk to him face to face to see what's going on and make an appointment if necessary.

miss confused

May 29, 2009
Thanks for all your help!!

Thanks for the advice and help. I'll pass the details on to my boyfriend today. I'll let you know if he has any luck (crossed fingers).

miss confused

May 29, 2009
you will never believe it ....

Thanks for all the help guys but you'll never guess .... the lawyer actually returned my boyfriends call yesterday. He's now got an appointment to see him and the paperwork is done!! I'll keep a hold of the info given to me just in case though.
Thanks again