Money? Bring cash or use ATM?

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Hi everyone, I`ve been to the DR twice now on vacation and have always brought US$ with me. I`m coming to PP in July to stay with a friend for a few weeks and I`m wondering what I should do about money...We won`t be in the tourist areas, so I`m assuming that it would be better to use pesos? I`m just wondering if I should bring US$ and convert to pesos there ( worried about carrying alot of cash or leaving it in the house) or should I just use an ATM while there? I`ve heard that they can be pretty unreliable and I`m worried about getting there and not being able to access money...Any suggestions?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, do not come for the reason you are coming!

yeah, I know that it is sort of mean, but you are so innocent and gullible...
Unless you tell me that you are going to be on a mission trip with three pastors, i feel for you.

any money you will bring will go to the sanky that has you making this trip..so just bring all of your dollars and give them to him...IF that is why you are coming, of course.

Gee, why so negative?...hey young lady, read the posts...save yourself some heartache and hassles. He will never, ever get a visa to travel unless you sponsor him and then you will be on the hook for his expenses for three years...read the posts.

Oh yea, use ATMs, most are quite reliable, just be aware of your surroundings. If you do not feel comfortable to to another one. never accept help from anyone. use the ATMs at the major banks...

Good luck, but I don't expect this to end well...

HB, kind of sour, so Anna will probably erase this...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Good morning nsgirl, It really depends on how much cash you are talking about. When I first started coming here I did everything in U.S. funds. Not good. The exchange rate that I am getting right now is 35.90 to 36.00 pesos per dollar. For example the restaurants exchange at about 35 even. Do the math. Don't exchange in the banks, they are at about 35.50. Their rates suck. you will get a much better rate at the exchange houses. They are everywhere. Even they will differ from spot to spot. Exchange what you think you will need for your trip. When converting back to U.S. dollars the rates are terrible.
When using an atm for instant transactions, the exchange rate is poor and the atm charges a lot for the service. Each atm differs on the charges. You have to rate the pros and cons. The odds of you getting mugged, especially in a resort area are slim to none. Use common sense, don't wear expensive jewelry and don't flash cash. Carry your money in a pocket and not your purse. I split my money with the large denominations in one pocket and the small denominations in another. Common sense goes a long way here. Have a good and safe trip

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What is Hillbilly talking about. I think her message was meant for another thread. I misread your info. You are NOT staying at a resort. No difference. My info stays the same.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
What is Hillbilly talking about. I think her message was meant for another thread. I misread your info. You are NOT staying at a resort. No difference. My info stays the same.

IMHO, Hillbilly is reading between the lines...

I`ve been to the DR twice now on vacation...

Two AI vacations???

I`m coming to PP in July to stay with a friend for a few weeks...

Sanky???

...We won`t be in the tourist areas...

Getting the full family indoctrination and sankification???

nsgirl,

- Don't carry large amounts of money.
- Use ATMs located at bank branches during office hours (preferably ones with guards by the doors) and take out only enough to do you for a few days. This way the bank can access the ATM should there be any mishaps.
- Your "friend" should also have enough money to look after himself and not be relying on you. :rolleyes:

Gregg

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks guys! Just to clarify, I`m not coming for the reason that Hillbilly assumes:cheeky:I actually am coming to work with a lady from the US who does missionary work.I guess maybe I should have said that in my post.Her house has been robbed once or twice which is why I`m worried about bringing cash...I guess maybe I could bring some cash, and rely on using the ATM when that runs out.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Using the ATM should cost 1-3% off the forex rate which is pretty good to me, especially compared to some of the rates offered for some foreign cash.
Although I have never had any access problems, I would not want to be dependent on them working all the time so take plenty of cash too.
I would use the ATM early and save the cash for later in your trip.
If for some reason you can't get money out of the ATM, you don't want this to happen after you have blown all of your cash.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Using the ATM should cost 1-3% off the forex rate which is pretty good to me, especially compared to some of the rates offered for some foreign cash.
Although I have never had any access problems, I would not want to be dependent on them working all the time so take plenty of cash too.
I would use the ATM early and save the cash for later in your trip.
If for some reason you can't get money out of the ATM, you don't want this to happen after you have blown all of your cash.

Great advice, this is what we do. I always keep a couple of hundred US dollars tucked away just in case the ATM's give me trouble, but it's never been a problem.

lumberjack69

May 21, 2009
Comfort level of safety

Great advice, this is what we do. I always keep a couple of hundred US dollars tucked away just in case the ATM's give me trouble, but it's never been a problem.

Maybe this is fine if you are with a group but personally everywhere I travel in the world I have several safety money and ID related things I do. They are:
1. Bring the best estimate of what you are going to spend in Cash and exchange it wherever you get the best rate. Sometimes that is a bank like in Mexico and sometimes it is at a little exchange shack on the street. If you are only going for a few days do it once and getter done. If a week I like to exchange twice. 2 weeks perhaps 2-3 times ect. Always get some smaller bills while at the bank because if you don't speak the language they give you the least amount of bills necessary and many small stalls pretend not to have change. The largest they have is 2000 pesos which is about $55 so they are bulky. Get some 500's they are easy to use being just over $13 they cover many things.
2. Keep your money in multiple places. If you have a rental car perhaps hid a little in there and I mean hide. Not under the seat ect. Pop out a vent or get creative no more tips on my spots in cars. In your room or villa whatever use multiple spots if no safe is available. Check what is available at front desk they may have safe boxes. Use multiple pockets and socks or shoes if need be. Wear cheap fake jewelry or none at all that way if somone demands it big deal.
3. Bring at least two credit cards and remember they take Visa first MC second and Amex last, Discover doesn't even exist most places. Leave one card one place and the other somewhere else ie room/car/safe.
4. Make a copy of your photo page of your passport and carry it with you at all times. Just fold it up and put in wallet or pocket. Leave your passport in safest place you've got.
5. Remember Western Union is everywhere and worse case scenario call someone and get some money wired to you. It won't cost much more than ATM and credit card fees if you are staying awhile.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
For many years I use personal checks to get cash with cambios who know me well and trust. I found it a better option than ATMs or $US cash.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the tips everyone! I`m staying in a private home in the Los Maestros area of PP.I know that the owner had been robbed at least twice now, once by "fishing" through the windows and once someone came in while she was home ( she was in the back bedroom) and took off with her laptop and a few other things.There is a safe, but I do`t know how big it is and how easy it would be to take off with.I like the idea of using several hiding spots and spreading it around.I`m going for two weeks so I think I`ll probably take half cash and use the ATM for the other half.