Canadian Passport will expire

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
Hi guys I need help regarding renewing my password. I booked a week of between 15-22 of this month and now I notice my passport will expire in 5 days. Can you believe it!!!:mad: What is the fastest way I can renew it? I live in Toronto. Thanks.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
If its any relief you still do not need a passport to go to the DR, from Canada (Canadian citizen), if your not flying through the US.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
While I don't normally recommend this, as I always believe a passport is the best form of ID for any travel, let alone international travel; you do not need a passport for NON-STOP travel from Canada to the DR. Unless you have a stop in the US an original birth certificate and a government picture ID will suffice for both entry into the DR and return to Canada. If you have a stop in the US then you MUST have a passport.

The whole passport issue in the news off and on over the last few years is a US Homeland Security program called the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and whether or not Homeland Security likes it, it does not change the rules for travel between Canada and the DR; although they are apparently trying to insist that Canadians on non-stop flights which overfly US territory have passports - but so far this has been a non-starter.

Gregg

Edited to add...
Sorry carolathompson; posting at the same time.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
. Unless you have a stop in the US an original birth certificate and a government picture ID will suffice for both entry into the DR and return to Canada. If you have a stop in the US then you MUST have a passport.

Edited to add...
Sorry carolathompson; posting at the same time.

Thanks for the response. My flight is direct ;)
So what do I need? I drivers' license? I have a citizenship card but the pic is from 16 years ago when I was 13. Do I need any other documents like a visa to enter DR? Thanks again.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Thanks for the response. My flight is direct ;)
So what do I need? I drivers' license? I have a citizenship card but the pic is from 16 years ago when I was 13. Do I need any other documents like a visa to enter DR? Thanks again.

No Visa required AFAIK (a Tourist Card is probably included in your package or is available on arrival) but from your further info it sounds like you are a naturalized Canadian, not a native born Canadian. If this is the case your best bet is to pay the surcharges and get a passport as your birth certificate will not be from Canada but your original country and will not therefore prove citizenship (it is possible that your citizenship card as well as your Driver's License will do but you should call the DR Embassy in Ottawa to confirm this).

If there is doubt, pay the piper and get your passport. An Urgent application is $70CDN plus the cost of the passport and will get your passport in 24 hours. See: www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/service.aspx?lang=eng#urgent

Gregg