What's for lunch today?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just thought I'd share with the DR family what I had for lunch today with the interest in knowing what other people are enjoying at lunch time. My meal today consisted of rice and beans and chicken breast with a green salad and a lemon juice vinaigrette and a glass of water. We typically eat beans and rice 5 times a week and mix it up with taco Tuesdays and potatoes instead of rice the other days of the week.

huo8cz.jpg

At night we typically have boiled plantains 4 times a week and the other nights usually sandwiches, hot dogs and fries. I won't eat boiled plantain but once a week max, and usually have a salad or sand which instead.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
it looks good to me. still haven't had my lunch yet.
let me tell you what I had last night for dinner. Teriyaki flavored shish kebobs medium-well over charcoals. It was angus beef. Then I made some butter, garlic toasted whole wheat bread over grill. yummmmy yum.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I had the same as you, Chip... minus the salad. Rice, beans, chicken and a glass of water. Typical school lunch here (I'm a teacher and eat what the kids eat).... sure beats the school lunches I had as a kid!! :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I had the same as you, Chip... minus the salad. Rice, beans, chicken and a glass of water. Typical school lunch here (I'm a teacher and eat what the kids eat).... sure beats the school lunches I had as a kid!! :)

Yeah, no doubt... probably peanut butter sandwiches. Speaking of salads, I can't go one day without eating one. I'm hooked on greens and lemon and orange vinagrettes.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
it looks good to me. still haven't had my lunch yet.
let me tell you what I had last night for dinner. Teriyaki flavored shish kebobs medium-well over charcoals. It was angus beef. Then I made some butter, garlic toasted whole wheat bread over grill. yummmmy yum.

Sounds tasty, hope your lunch is just as good - buen provecho!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rice, red beans and berenjenas asadas (roast aubergine/eggplant). I usually have salad but because I'm on my own I got lazy and didn't make one. When Mr C and Chirimoyito are here they have fish or chicken, I don't.

We only have rice and beans about twice a week, the other days it is some Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/Indian-type dish.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK, in a typical week I might make couscous with chickpeas and auyama, lentil dhal or vegetable curry of some sort with basmati rice, spinach and ricotta lasagne, pasta in home-made tomato sauce, tortilla espa?ola, crema de cepa de apio (cream of celery root) if I can get hold of it, tipile (DR version of tabboulleh), shrimp paella.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
OK, in a typical week I might make couscous with chickpeas and auyama, lentil dhal or vegetable curry of some sort with basmati rice, spinach and ricotta lasagne, pasta in home-made tomato sauce, tortilla espa?ola, crema de cepa de apio (cream of celery root) if I can get hold of it, tipile (DR version of tabboulleh), shrimp paella.

What's your recipe for the spinach lasagna? Do you know if it is just as good with squash?

Also, what is a tortilla espa?ola?

Please also post the recipe for the tipile and the shrimp paella.

I would like to try these recipes soon. Mil gracias!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I had homemade Shrimp Spring Rolls: bought all the ingredients in the Barrio Chino. Chiri, let me know next time you're in town and I make some extrassss.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I had a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread and a strawberry yogurt. Later, I will have green peppers with Hummus as a snack.

For dinner we are having penne with shrimp in vodka sauce and a spinach salad.

We only eat rice and beans a couple of times a month. My Husband wouldn't be happy eating Dominican food daily.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What's your recipe for the spinach lasagna? Do you know if it is just as good with squash?
Saut? some onions and garlic, add some dried oregano and bayleaf. Add spinach (or acelgas - chard - which unlike spinach is not slimy). add salt & pepper to taste. Cook until tender. Leave to cool, mash with some ricotta or the Dominican white cheese known as 'queso crema' - you can add some nutmeg too. Layer with lasagne, top with bechamel (white) sauce and some grated parmesan. 20 mins in a pre-heated medium oven should do it.

Squash is like zucchini, isn't it - if I replaced the spinach with zucchini I would add a lot of fresh basil because otherwise it would be a bit tasteless.

Also, what is a tortilla espa?ola?
Spanish omelette - made with olive oil, onions and potatoes. Also known as torta de patatas. You saute the onions and the potatoes, mix with beaten eggs and cook in a good non-stick frying pan.

Please also post the recipe for the tipile and the shrimp paella.
Tipili (Bulgur salad) - Dominican Cooking
My version has less onion and much more parsley, and I also add mint, in true Lebanese style.

Shrimp paella - you need to make a 'sofrito' type base with onions, tomatoes, green peppers and green peas, seasoned with a small amount of saffron and herbs like parsley and/or thyme. Stir in the desired amount of uncooked rice (short grain white rice) and add the appropriate amount of stock. (Approximately 2 cups liquid to one cup rice, but follow the instructions on the rice packet). Cook covered on a low flame, keep checking to make sure it's not too dry, adding water/stock if necessary. If it is too wet, leave the top off to reduce liquid. When it's nearly done, stir in the cooked shrimps, add salt and pepper to taste, serve with lemon wedges.

These are all off the top of my head - sorry no exact measures or anything.

Buen provecho.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Saut? some onions and garlic, add some dried oregano and bayleaf. Add spinach (or acelgas - chard - which unlike spinach is not slimy). add salt & pepper to taste. Cook until tender. Leave to cool, mash with some ricotta or the Dominican white cheese known as 'queso crema' - you can add some nutmeg too. Layer with lasagne, top with bechamel (white) sauce and some grated parmesan. 20 mins in a pre-heated medium oven should do it.

Squash is like zucchini, isn't it - if I replaced the spinach with zucchini I would add a lot of fresh basil because otherwise it would be a bit tasteless.

Spanish omelette - made with olive oil, onions and potatoes. Also known as torta de patatas. You saute the onions and the potatoes, mix with beaten eggs and cook in a good non-stick frying pan.

Tipili (Bulgur salad) - Dominican Cooking
My version has less onion and much more parsley, and I also add mint, in true Lebanese style.

Shrimp paella - you need to make a 'sofrito' type base with onions, tomatoes, green peppers and green peas, seasoned with a small amount of saffron and herbs like parsley and/or thyme. Stir in the desired amount of uncooked rice (short grain white rice) and add the appropriate amount of stock. (Approximately 2 cups liquid to one cup rice, but follow the instructions on the rice packet). Cook covered on a low flame, keep checking to make sure it's not too dry, adding water/stock if necessary. If it is too wet, leave the top off to reduce liquid. When it's nearly done, stir in the cooked shrimps, add salt and pepper to taste, serve with lemon wedges.

These are all off the top of my head - sorry no exact measures or anything.

Buen provecho.

Thanks, I think I'll try the omelette for breakfast tomorrow.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Lunch today was Beef Loin New York Steak (rare) with a sliced onion sauteed in garlic oil with a chopped habanero pepper, home grown oregano and a light sprinkling of Adobo, two baked potatoes, a Hass avocado and a glass of Foodies merlot. Life is good, only wish I'd had this in the DR!

A

apostropheman

I had a 12 grain bagel, with light cream cheese, and a large coffee from Tim Horton's, while driving. :( It does not deserve to appear in a picture...:ermm:

Man I wish I was in the DR! ;):bunny::bunny:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had homemade Shrimp Spring Rolls: bought all the ingredients in the Barrio Chino. Chiri, let me know next time you're in town and I make some extrassss.
My mouth is watering... should be there before the end of this month so will definitely call by.