US citizen moving to DR for 1 yr. Where do I start?

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
Hello,

I am moving to the DR in January 2010. Currently, I'm in corporate american, so recruiters are looking for positions in research for me. However, since I know I'm moving there I am saving and can survive the one yr. Especially since I'll be living with a host family.

My question is when and where do I begin my process as far as a VISA? Do I just simply come to DR and strt the paperwork or is there somethign I need to do now since I know when I'm moving there?

Please let me know. This is all new to me and the VISA/PASSPORT websites are vague about 1 yr living experiences. They mention 2 months or forever.

Thanks,
NYC2DR

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
when you say visa you mean your residency I suppose?

Americans do not need a visa to travel to the DR. You can move here and start your residency papers. This will cost a few bucks, use the search function here.

what kind of recruiters are working for you, not sure what kind of research you will be able to do here. Do you speak Spanish?

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
when you say visa you mean your residency I suppose?

Americans do not need a visa to travel to the DR. You can move here and start your residency papers. This will cost a few bucks, use the search function here.

what kind of recruiters are working for you, not sure what kind of research you will be able to do here. Do you speak Spanish?

I am basically asking if I come to live there for a year will I be illegal after a few months or is one year considered a long vacation. A long visit? What paperwork do I need to complete to be legal for my one year stay?

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
I have seen others post about getting a work visa here in the DR, but few of us have familiarity with that process. It sounds like going through the residency process just to live here for only one year, while possible, could be overkill. Perhaps a work visa is more appropriate if you can go that route.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a job here and that the pay for any kind of job is a fraction of what you would normally make in the US?

What is the "research" job you and your recruiters are looking for?

I'm am learning more each day how hard it is to fnd a job there. Yes, I am aware that the money will probably be a small fraction of what I'm used to. The recruters I'm working with are helping me to be a liaison between Clinical Trials that are apart of ongoing research in the DR and companies like the Center for Disease Control and the National Institute of Health here in the US. Cancer studies and vaccine/epidemiology studies are my focus.

I'm seeing now that the best plan is to save as much as possible before I come and live off of that. I'm living with a host family, so I won't have the need to pay a set rent. If I find an opportunity to work I will, but I'm not clear about any paperwork involved with me living there for a year and that is the source of my post.

Last edited:
R

rockero

HI NYC I Finally responded to your two messages from awhile back. Did you get them? I Checked in my sent message box and it shows nothing. I sent you my msn too,,Respond n this when you can.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Could you just pay the overstay tax ?
UPDATED!

30 days - 3 months RD$800
3 months - 9 months RD$1,000
9 months - one year RD$2,500

1 year - 1.5 years RD$4,000
1.5 years - 2 years RD$5,000
2 years - 2.5 years RD$6,500

2.5 years - 3 years RD$9,000
3 years - 5 years RD$14,000
5 years on $RD17,000

Kryptinite

Aug 27, 2009
I want to move to DR. I am us citizen with passport. I have a couple of questions? First i have an open court date, it is a class a mis, prob get like 1-2 year in jail. i am retired from military, so dont need a job in DR. Will i be sent back to US if i am for any reason to be stopped in DR? Also is there a statue of limitations on not going to court? My thoughts are 30 years in DR are better then 2 in jail. dont need to be told i am a scum bag for wanting to run, i feel bad enough for wanting to leave the country i served for 30 years! any positive feed back or advise is welcome

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I want to move to DR. I am us citizen with passport. I have a couple of questions? First i have an open court date, it is a class a mis, prob get like 1-2 year in jail. i am retired from military, so dont need a job in DR. Will i be sent back to US if i am for any reason to be stopped in DR? Also is there a statue of limitations on not going to court? My thoughts are 30 years in DR are better then 2 in jail. dont need to be told i am a scum bag for wanting to run, i feel bad enough for wanting to leave the country i served for 30 years! any positive feed back or advise is welcome

A class "A" misdemeanor will not be cause for you to be deported, as only felonies and above cases are shared via INTERPOL. The question on statute of limitations depends on your state's criminal code.

Without judging you, I would say that all our problems are best faced head on than later down the road without a notice.

Being that you'll have an outstanding court warrant, given your intent to run away from your court date; getting a DR residency will be out of the question! This becoming your first roadblock to obtaining a "normal" life while in the DR.

The only thing you'll have to face taking that road in the DR will have to depart and re-enter the country to and from another non-US country. That will allow you to drive legally in the DR for periods of time.

If you ever become involved in a legal or Police matter in the DR, think like a brawl or legal dispute, your past will create major problems for you!

If you live a straight "trouble" free life in the DR is doable...

You need to think this one hard and very carefully...

Running away from responsibilities that can affect your life long term, is never the best of choices...

A misd??? The most you could do for an A misdameanor is 1 year so if your facing 2 years its a felony.If you are stopped in DR(arrested) you could be deported back to the USA. There is no extradition treaty with the US per say but if you are a citizen of the USA,especially under Leonel,they will send you back to the states. If you are a Dominican citizen then it is less likely they would send you back to the states unless it was a high profile case.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Pichardo, very sound advice!
Fuku, Interpol seem very active here at present!

Hmmm....I know at least one murderer who travelled freely between Canada and the DR--Thomas Reinis, who I believe also murdered my uncle. When I tried to contact Interpol, they "refused to violate his privacy", even though he had escaped from a Canadian prison. At one point, I understand, Balaguer almost put him in charge of the Dominican FBI. I guess only murderers, thieves and fraud artists are safe from Interpol.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Kriptinite, you're going to risk the pension you served 30 years for, just to avoid a few months time in jail for a stupid moment? Man up, face the music, and get on with your life.

Come to the DR after you've paid the price and enjoy life in the DR with no regrets or worries.

Reactions: MikeFisher

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Class "a" Misd? 1 year? Sounds harsh...especially if it's your first offense...unless it was DUI (with injury) or a lot of "tobacco"...

If you ain't convicted yet, I'd wait and see...you'll forfet bond, your pension and be reclassified as "absconded".

"BE 21" Good luck.

Reactions: MikeFisher