Commonwealth of Haiti territory of the USA

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm I the only one who's heard of this? Giving back Guantanamo to Cuba. SOON. Deal in the making with Haiti. (Dominican content) How will this effect US tourism and investment here?
Providing this crap is true..

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
IMO, closing gitmo and moving prisoners to Haiti will gain that nation US dollars, DR might get radar intelligence for drug intervention and Cuba/US will and an irony.

May 8, 2009
I seem to recall hearing about some building activity in the south west part of Haiti (where there is nothing.) You used to be able to see it pretty clearly on google earth, but it has since been fuzzed out a bit. (No doubt by the U.S. government) I believe there is not even a road to get to what they are building out there.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Can you give me the Lat. / Long. so I can take a look on Google Earth, please Mr Coastlineconstruction.

I am curious.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
For the life of me, I can't find any info anywhere about the U.S. closing or returning the Navy base at Guantanamo to Cuba. All I can find is info about shutting down the detention center located on the base. (Basically, boarding up a few buildings.) Where do you find the info about shutting down the Navy Base?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Why in the world would the U.S give back a strategic piece of land on Cuban soil?
Remember the Cuban missile crisis in the early 60's? It is a military base.The U.S has a foothold and they will never ever give it back.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Can you post a link? A think this would be a fantastic idea, at least for me and the Haitian people because we would both get a whole lot of work because of it. :) You just made my day!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Can you post a link? A think this would be a fantastic idea, at least for me and the Haitian people because we would both get a whole lot of work because of it. :) You just made my day!

I don't want to start a debate on it. It was something I overheard in a conversation between people that were looking forward to going back to Haiti to open a school. (Not Haitians) Appeared to be serious and that they knew what they were talking about. Both having spent years in Haiti and from what I gathered were close to US military. I just wanted to know if anybody else had heard or read on the subject. Have to admit a US base in Haiti would solve both the Haitian and Dominican problems. But might seriously harm the tourism in this country.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
In reply to Eddy:

Why could a US military base in Haiti hurt tourism in the DR?

I also "overheard in a conversation" that there are plans for a major airport near Monte Cristi but on the Haitian side of the boarder. Anybody who knows more about this?

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I don't think the US will close the whole military base, only the detention facility. I never read about closing the whole base.

The Hun

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In reply to Eddy:

Why could a US military base in Haiti hurt tourism in the DR?

A lot of Canadians will be going there instead of here, and with a decent infrastructure (The USA will make sure of that) I think several Americans will do the same. The beaches are great and overall people are friendlier. After all, Haiti was a decent tourist destination long before the DR. When Baby Doc left, and democracy (sic) was put in place, things started to turn bad.

As far as Guantanamo not helping tourism or the Cuban people, I think we all know the answer to that one. As a rule, when there's a US military base in any area in the world, the people make $$$. (Sorry for getting a little off track)

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
A lot of Canadians will be going there instead of here, and with a decent infrastructure (The USA will make sure of that) I think several Americans will do the same. The beaches are great and overall people are friendlier. After all, Haiti was a decent tourist destination long before the DR. When Baby Doc left, and democracy (sic) was put in place, things started to turn bad.

Well, if this is the case than I can only hope it happens. Time to shake up DR authorities (and maybe the Dominicans) a bit.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well, if this is the case than I can only hope it happens. Time to shake up DR authorities (and maybe the Dominicans) a bit.

Stability and a better economy in Haiti can only bring good to the DR. Don't look for it to happen in any time soon - one generation at the very least for things to get started - it won't happen overnight.

Mar 2, 2008
"As far as Guantanamo not helping tourism or the Cuban people, I think we all know the answer to that one. As a rule, when there's a US military base in any area in the world, the people make $$$. (Sorry for getting a little off track)"

In most cases, I would agree with you, Eddy.

However, in the case of Gitmo, the base is so isolated from its surroundings, and set up so that it is completely independent of Cuba and its infrastructure, that the economic impact (one way or the other) with regard to Cuba is almost non-existent.

The same isolation probably would not be true at a new base in Haiti. But it is still unclear to what extent any economic interchange would exist at a new base in Haiti (servicemen taking leave, the purchase of supplies, jobs offered to locals, etc.)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
"As far as Guantanamo not helping tourism or the Cuban people, I think we all know the answer to that one. As a rule, when there's a US military base in any area in the world, the people make $$$. (Sorry for getting a little off track)"

In most cases, I would agree with you, Eddy.

However, in the case of Gitmo, the base is so isolated from its surroundings, and set up so that it is completely independent of Cuba and its infrastructure, that the economic impact (one way or the other) with regard to Cuba is almost non-existent.

The same isolation probably would not be true at a new base in Haiti. But it is still unclear to what extent any economic interchange would exist at a new base in Haiti (servicemen taking leave, the purchase of supplies, jobs offered to locals, etc.)
I should have added "other than Cuba" my bad

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
If a base opens in Haiti, all the girls from Sosua will apply for a visa for Haiti hehehe...

This way it will really hurt part of the tourism at least in Sosua.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I wasn't very clear, my point was that the base doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on tourism in Cuba!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I wasn't very clear, my point was that the base doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on tourism in Cuba!

I'm sure it has had no effect one way or another because of the political game going on. If and as soon as it sorts itself out, the presence of troops at "Gitmo" will really boost both tourism and overall economy of Cuba. (If they're still there of course. (Sh*t I'm getting off course again)