Identifying insects/bugs/beetles?

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Is there a sub-forum here with discussion and identification of various creepy crawlies? I saw a black "thing" with 8 distinct dark peach coloured irregularly shaped spots on its back, 6 legs, 2 antennae, a fine set of smallish sized pinchers, and well formed protruding black eyes. I'm looking for a name and more info. Can anybody help? I can try to link a photo if it would help. It was in the San Rafael de Yuma area.

Thanks for any guidance!

Kaki

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I really appreciate that jrhartley! My preliminary Google search found that site before I posted here and the info makes it look like what I saw was either of the crickets/katydids family by the legs (nothing like I've ever seen before though) or maybe a weevil by the face. It does appear to be an all-encompassing resource of Caribbean beetles, but didn't really give me anything about "my" specimen.

I may have to wait for direction in identification when I've posted a pic of the animal online.

Thanks very much!

Kaki

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nskii.jpeg/220px-Brachysomus_strawinskii.jpeg
220px-Brachysomus_strawinskii.jpeg

exophthalmus from the entiminae family - there is one in the beetle section of the site i gave you

the picture above is only a naughty relative

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Thanks...the last picture looks a lot like him (except for the lack of life! and erratic nature of the spots). Not so convinced by the picture of the couple!

I don't know how I missed it. I pored over that site a couple of times before I turned to the forum. Many eyes are better than two.

Kaki

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Thanks...the last picture looks a lot like him (except for the lack of life! and erratic nature of the spots). Not so convinced by the picture of the couple!

I don't know how I missed it. I pored over that site a couple of times before I turned to the forum. Many eyes are better than two.

Kaki
ha ha
yeap
Mike

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ox bettle ?

In the DR they are known as a Cateron. Its favorite food is the heart of all palms. It can clear out a new coconut plantation in a short time. They have large larvae that chomp through the heart of mostly new palms, finishing then off. Though they are amazing creatures especially how such a large beetle can fly with its little wings, they are considered pests. If it was nt for them there would be many more palms on the island. I thought that there name in English was Rhinoceros beetle?

B

BettyDiamond

is anyone else getting strange insects climbing the wall...they only go about a foot above the floor and look like minute crabs

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm, even if someone here knew what "crabs" looked like, I don't think you'd find anyone to admit to it. :p Perhaps some of the seasoned Sosua members could help you out!

B

BettyDiamond

it turned out that they were ticks - how can a house and garden become infested with ticks when I dont have a dog and how can they be irradicted when they hide in every crevice

I learnt they are related to spders and scorpions which doesnt make me feel any better

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Garapatas - ticks

You should spray the whole area with insecticide. They are looking for mammals especially cats and dogs. If you do have any animals then treat them as well.

B

BettyDiamond

the area has been sprayed but im not sure he was very thorough - I spent an afternoon picking them out of the seams of the couch with a knitting needle

they(the fumigators) guarantee to come back if the house is not clear- but I ve had two nightmares about the walls crawling with them so far - why dont they just bugger off next door lol

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Regular bug spray does them in. I once had an Alsatian dog that attracted all the bugs in the world. He had a nasty attack of Garapatas once and we were able to control them by zapping any that appeared until they disappeared. I would nt worry too much as they come in cycles and can be easily controlled.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
an interesting little bug

gonodontanitidimacula1.JPG

spotted this lurking under and leaf and wondered what it turned into

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
jr...
a garden muncher!
We have been lucky this year and haven't had hardly any green leave eating caterpillars. I found two that were all green.
The black ones can destroy a garden with-in a day of their eating habits.