Very hot

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, I do agree. One of the reasons is that the sun is almost vertically above us on its way South to the Equator and beyond...

I keep saying we'll have at least a small quake if this keeps up...or maybe a good hurricane, early in the season...

HB

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Barahona is HOT. Especially with no inversor/generator and blackouts from 3 a.m. to 1 a.m. Oh, and with a zinc roof it's miserable to even be inside.

What are some ways to keep cool? Here are my tips, add more if you got 'em:

-Go to the beach/river/pool. Consider this a preventative medical treatment.
-Wear light-colored clothes, no layers.
-At night, if you are really hot, dunk your sheet in water, ring it out and sleep with it damp. Or do the same with a bandana.
-Bathe twice a day for the cold water if not for the cleanliness.
-Drink lots of cold water.
-Buy a Skim Ice. Then buy another.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'll be in southern Europe in a couple of days time, rolling my eyes as everyone complains about the heat there. It doesn't compare.

Nov 25, 2008
Don't complain,at least here in Santiago we have options to get away from the heat at a close distance [mountains, rivers, pools], no option for Santo Domingo, even the beach is unbearable

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
What is considered 'very hot' and unbearable varies for each person...

I think it's all relative and the type of heat one is used to. In my opinion, the DR is hot but there is a lot of humidity. The actual temperature is only 30C- 33C most days and that's normal summer heat even for us here in Montreal and Toronto. In my experience, in Southern Europe the temperature is in the low to mid thirties (but much higher in Madrid, Spain) and it's a dry summer sun. Therefore going to beach and doing outside activities is fun although a siesta in the afternoon is quite common.

I prefer a warmer climate in general and 30C-35C is what I am used to in the summer time here so in the DR I don't understand what people find is 'so hot'. In my experience so far the worse heat I have felt was in Panama City, Panama (several trips) with extreme humidity. On a good day it was 37C actual temperature. In my opinion, that's 'very hot' until I ever experience something like 45C typical of countries like Mauritania and Niger which is the normal daytime high. Sahara desert climate.

-Marianopolita

I'll be in southern Europe in a couple of days time, rolling my eyes as everyone complains about the heat there. It doesn't compare.

Last edited:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
.........something like 45C typical of countries like Mauritania and Niger which is the normal daytime high. Sahara desert climate.

-Marianopolita

Don't forget central Algeria, which is where I am at the moment enjoying a balmy +45 degrees C.

I can't wait to get home to Santo Domingo so I can cool off.

Reactions: Lucille

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Toober_sdq

Yes, you are right. I just named two countries off the top of my head but I am always fascinated with Niger because 70% of the country is the Sahara Desert and basically African countries that are part of the Sahara have a very warm climate and some more than others. Niger and Chad are two of them and Central Algeria like you said. You must be in Tindouf with that temperature. Am I right?

6ss7io.gif

BTW- This is one of my hobbies. Looking at world maps and studying the climate and areas of interest. In general, I am trying to learn more about Africa and the huge and diverse continent that it is. Including the weather.

-Marianopolita.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I am in a little town called Hassi Messaoud. It is more like central north east Algeria. After my earlier post I was corrected by one of my colleagues that it reached 54C here today.

When I walk ourside I feel like I am on the surface of Mars.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I believe it is actually more typically hotter in SD than Santiago because of the generally higher humidity. I have lived here now for three years and would never consider getting an ac for my house, but I would if I lived in the capital, it is just too muggy.

As far as being hot, the DR doesn't compare to the low country South Carolina. You can stand in the shade at 8 in the morning and sweat like a pig, whereas here in Santiago, you'll never sweat if you are in the shade, even at midday.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Incredible...

That's exactly what I am referring to when I said 'very hot' and weather in general is relative. That temperature 54C is incredible and of course the DR 30's would feel cool or a relief. No joke. From looking at the temperature of the Saharan countries 30C is the overnight low! I find SD to be very humid but nothing to be overwhelmed about compared to other places in North America in the summertime. Miami is also very hot and what about Texas and Arizona. Those are hot states at this time of year.

Just as a general comment the weather over the past few years has been bizarre and unpredictable. The whole theory of global warming in my opinion is very questionable. We have been hearing about it for years now and I am yet to be convinced. I have observed here on my side of the planet that the seasons have changed drastically and summer is taking longer to kick in but September is a full warm month and it never used to be like that. My theory in general about global warming is the warm countries are getting warmer and cold countries (in general, ones with four seasons) are getting colder.

This is what it says on the Weather Network currently:

Weather Forecast: Tindouf, Algeria
Local Time: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 5:04 PM

vnm2he.jpg

44?C
A few clouds

Anyway stay cool if you can in Algeria and safe travels back to SDQ.

-Marianopolita.

I am in a little town called Hassi Messaoud. It is more like central north east Algeria. After my earlier post I was corrected by one of my colleagues that it reached 54C here today.

When I walk ourside I feel like I am on the surface of Mars.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ