WILL writing needs/advice for UK citizens

KD2415

Jul 20, 2009
Hi there,

I've just joined this Forum and despite finding a few threads that dealt with similar questions, I thought it necessary to start a new thread as some of my questions might be case or country specific. However, I do apologise if this has already been covered.

The situation is as follows:-

A good friend of mine and myself, being single at the time, purchased a condo in Cabarete, each owning a 50% stake.

Both of us have since married (my wife is Greek domiciled) and my friends wife is a fellow Brit. However, we are all resident in the UK.

I've been told recently, that we may need to have a WILL written in the DR and then simply a reference to it in our UK WILLS.

Is this true?

Do we need to attach a copy of a DR WILL to our UK WILLS?

Do we need to register a DR WILL in the DR?

Does a DR WILL have to be in Spanish?

What is the approx cost of setting up a DR WILL?

What advice can you give to ensure that there are no legal problems if one or both of us is deceased?

We would like to allow the surviving couple to be able to purchase the deceased 50% stake within certain time frame following death. E.g. 1 year.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
GO SEE A GOOD LAWYER!!

This is something beyond the ken of us here....it is complicated with international law overtones..

Go see Guzman, or Pellerano (in Santo Domingo) or Cabral (in Santiago), they know how to deal with these issues......

This is not something you want any cheapo shyster to latch onto...(not that there are not expensive shysters, too!!)

HB

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Hilbilly's is the only advice you should listen to on this! If you wanted to know about making a will in the UK you would go straight to a solicitor and do it properly right? It's the same here, so contact a reputable lawyer and then you can have peace of mind, priceless!

KD2415

Jul 20, 2009
Thanks guys - there's nothing like stating the obvious...the difference is, I'm not living in the Dom Rep!

Okay, I'll re-phrase it.

Anybody know of a Dom Rep Solicitor who can advice me according to the situation that I've already highlighted?

Many thanks in advance.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You could contact Lisa Ewest at Legal Solutions
She is German but speaks perfect english.
DR1's very own Fabio Guzman is always on hand as well of course!
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lisa is not an attorney, for God's sake!!

If you want an attorney, I gave you three of the best in the nation. Use one of them or pay for it later...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not unless she is a Dominican citizen, graduated from a Dominican Law School, she is not.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And to make things very clear to everyone, here is what i wrote to you.

Just get this straight: You CANNOT be a lawyer in practice if you are not a Dominican citizen.
She has graduated from a Law School (probably UTESA?), but she is not a "lawyer" until she becomes a citizen.
Being a Notary and Lawyer are different and one is not dependent on the other.
Your friend Lisa cannot sign a paper as a lawyer and anything she does in the legal field can be questioned. This is just a fact of life.
In fact, she can be sued for the illegal practice of law--until she becomes a citizen and requests admittance into the Dominican Lawyers College ( I think) -Colegio de Abogado de la Rep?blica Dominicana-THEN, and only then, she will have her law license (exequator) and be a "real" lawyer.

If this has upset you, you might think of the consequences of getting advice that is not correct and losing a fortune or your life...

Cordially,

HB

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
OK well lets show my message to you and make it clear that Lisa is a member of Colegio de Abogado de la Rep?blica Dominicana.

Now maybe Fabio could settle the dispute as these comments could effect her business!

My pm to HB

You have my utmost respect for your in depth knowledge of the DR and your contributions to this forum, however, I beg to differ on this and it is a very important point especially to the person concerned.

Lisa is German. She has graduated at dominican Law School and I have a copy of her certification and Lawyers ID Card.

She cannot be a Notary without being Dominican. She is on the way to
become a Dominican and then to get Notary license.

Germany does only allow in special cases the double Citizenship. She
got that authorization February this year, and is now starting
the dominican Citizenship.

Lisa a lawyer but not a Notary. She is graduated from Dominican Law School in Santiago. She is on her way to getting her citizenship and then she will be able to qualify as a Notary
I didn't want to put all this on the thread as it is partly personal but you may feel that with this info, which can be confirmed, you could change your statement?
Kind regards

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I repeat: Without Dominican CITIZENSHIP she cannot practice law in the Dominican Republic legally! No ifs, ands or Buts....

I called a lawyer who has been asked to be on the Supreme Court on this point.

Go ask Lawyer Guzman....

Hey, I don't really care, and I am not going to denounce her before the Bar Association...but this should be settled for all...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am still investigating this issue.
If there is a treaty of reciprocity between Germany and the Dominican Republic; If a Dominican lawyer can be a lawyer in Germany, then Lisa can request membership in the Colegio de Abogados.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Black Dog...this discussion could really clear up some important issues...

Be patient.

Hb

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Upon further review:
Not to beat this hoss to death...
1) Graduate from a Dominican Law School
2) Or any other Law School and have the degree accepted by a Dominican Law School
3) Apply for the "Exequator" to the Presidency! Now here's the thing: The President has the faculty to grant an exequator to a lawyer without being naturalized, BUT the normal requirement is that the person be naturalized.

So, if this person got her "Exequator" from the President, end of story and my apologies. If not...when she becomes a Dominican, then she will get it. Oh, and she can be a member of the Colegio without having the exequator...any Dominican law school grad can do that.

Let's see now...

HB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You can practice law in DR if you are a legal resident

A quote from Mr Guzman

The legal requirements are the following:

(1) A law degree from a Dominican Law School or the ?revalidation? at the University of Santo Domingo (UASD) of a law degree obtained in a foreign university. For graduates of common law countries, a revalidation is almost impossible. The candidate will have to take 90%+ of the courses.

(2) A decree from the President authorizing you to practice in the DR (?exequatur?)

(3) Obtaining membership at the Dominican Bar Association (?Colegio de Abogados de la Rep?blica Dominicana?).

(4) Swearing in as a lawyer at the Supreme Court.

(5) Registering at the local court.

Being a Dominican is no longer a requirement. You can practice law as a legal resident.

There is a bill pending in Congress instituting a Bar Exam and continuing education requirements.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is a bombshell!!! I just got off the phone with another lawyer and she says that what Fabio says is not correct. In fact her words were: "The right to practice law is a Dominican monopoly"

DR1, leading to way to the light....

I will soon have a copy of the Ley de Exequatur....

Stay tuned, this is exciting...

HB...