marrying a Dominican

T

trina

I lived in the Dominican with my boyfriend, and have returned to Canada because of my father's ailing health. My Dominican boyfriend and I have decided to get married, don't worry, we have been through a whole lot together, and I know what I am doing. I have heard all the warnings. He would rather not live in Canada, but I don't want to move back to the Dominican, because I need to be close to my family right now. I have searched all the archives, and haven't found much on what to do, or how to go about this. I am looking for similar couples who have already gone through this for advice - what to do, what not to do, etc. PLEASE HELP!!!
Thank you very much!

A

Angela

Dear Trina,

HI, my name is Angela and I too am going through something similar, only I am trying to bring him to Canada for a 2 week holiday and apparently, I am told it's nearly impossible, even if you get married it could take up to 2 years! HELP, is what I feel to, I'd love to e-mail you more, but not on the board, so please e-mail me at angeladou@hotmail.com and I'll give you more info about my scenario.

P.S. I am very glad to hear of a positive realtionship, between Dominicans and Canadian. I am tired of hearing the bewares, there are too many people that don't believe it's possible to find true love! I am glad I am not the only one!

Look forward to your e-mail,

Angela

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This topic has been extensively covered in the message board over the past three years or more. Try again searching all the archives, all the way back. Use keywords such as "marrying a Dominican", "marriage", "visa", "fianc?" and you should be able to locate the emails of several with whom you can correspond by email so as to get much more information. The information in our archives is especially helpful as one of the most important considerations on "how to go about this" is resolving the matter of his getting a visa to live in Canada.

R

Roberto

Trina
love can move mountain
keep the hope
with the time all will be ok

follow you heart

did you got my email?

B

Bob Saunders

Dear Trina. My wife received her Landed imigrant papers exactly six months and two weeks after the Canadian Embassy received her application to immigrate. The whole process, from the time I applied at my end, Canada, took ten months. Do not get discouraged
by others, if your boyfriend/husband is worth it, he's worth the wait. I know my wife is worth the wait. Our plan is for her to stay in Canada long enough to get a Canadian passport ( 3 years) then I apply to residency in the DR. THEN OUR OPTIONS ARE OPEN WITHOUT BIG HASSLES GOING THROUGH THE STATES. If you require specific answers to specific questions e-mail me.

N

Natasha

Trina,

Why don't you and your boyfriend have a frank dialogue about the situation. If that fails, perhaps you can talk it out with a member of the clergy, or a pre-marital counselor.

I married an American. I wanted to go back to the DR after completing my studies in the US, but we both came to the conclusion that the States would be a better option to live at this time. Plus, his career was difficult to transfer there (we now hear of American attorneys working in the DR though, so I might just entice him one of these days ;-)

As part of getting married in a Roman Catholic church in the DR, we had to go through the usual pre-marital counseling called pre-cana. This was extremely helpful and I highly recommend that you seek some form of counseling before getting married.

If you have love, then most things generally work out. I stayed here for love and now I don't think much about where we live as long as I am with my husband. I am sure all will work out for you. Good luck!

Regards,
Natasha

J

John

my god are you going to start with this again?

you all canadian women has nothing to do than just be thinking in married dominican men?
this topic has been debated over and over in last few years.
natasha, phillys, trina, etc, etc, and etc, please give me a break

N

Natasha

Re: my god are you going to start with this again?

Had a bad day at work, John? I suggest you read DR1's message entitled "Let's try again". It advises that we try to choose our words carefully before we post them here, for one thing.

Don't know why you decided include me in your message, I simply gave a suggestion that would apply to anyone getting married regardless of nationality. Chill out my man, and skip those topics you don't want to read :)

Regards,
Natasha

B

Bob Saunders

Where else would you seek advice on marrying a dominicano/a if not here, WHERE are you from John, obviously not Canada. You sound a little jealous of other people attempts to be happy.

R

Roberto

Bob/Natsha

many men from others nationalitys
hate the idea that a woman are interesting in a dominican men
and many negative mesage that are posting
about dominican men are not posting by woman
but by men

peace:)

M

Malgorzata

Compromise, compromise, compromise... I have gone through similar dilemma. My fiance is Dominican and I am Polish. We met in the US while studing here and both were planning on going back to our countries after comleting the degrees. But things got serious (you know love...)and it was difficult to make a decision. Actually, we had broken up few times throghuot our 4-year relationship because we were coming to a conclusion that it didn't make sense to stay together and go deeper into "it". He couldn't imagine himself living elswhere than Dominican Republic and I couldn't just forget about my family I left behind in Poland, especially my mom who's got chronic disease (luckily, my sister lives next to my mom so I know that my mom's being taken care of).

But we realized that we really do want to be together.We had talked a lot about alternatives, opportunities, pros, and cons. ...And we compromised. For now we'll stay in the US but we will constantly search for opportunities in DR and Poland. We agreed that we will be willing to try to live in either country at least for few years if we the opportunity comes by. We are getting married this August.

PS My fiance has been invited for interview to DR this coming week. I support him and agreed to go to DR if he gets this job. I did not promise to go forever but for a while... why not.

Regards,
Malgorzata

J

John

to natasha

natasha, i had a very good day at work. i have nothing against canadians, the problem is they are over and over with the same. as a dominican man i fell harrashed by canadians looking for horny men to have sex. just like the younger, sweet and little angel who is coming in june. she will find a big (you know) in sosua, she will marry him and next month she will be here in this board talking about dominican customs. do those guys have really dominican customs? i dont think so. they are the trash of this country. if you want to find and honest and real dominican man, you have to come to santo domingo, santiago or any other town away from touristic areas.

D

De Leenheer Corinne

I'm also going to get married with a dominican.
We lived togheter in Sosua for 7 months and it was wonderfull.

Well, for me it is different, I now came back to Belgium. I made the necesarry things for him to deposit a visa request so that we can get married here and then go back a little bit later to DR.

In my case, the process is almost over and it took about 3 months.
He is coming here mid-july or maybe sooner.

Please follow your heart, do not listen to people saying it will not work. If you love him, it is worth to wait.
And what are 10 months of waiting when you will have him by your side for the rest of your life?
I'm proud to see that I'm not the only one.

Some people told me I was crazy, but I never lsiten to that sort of comments. People are so jealous when they see that someone is happy and they are not...

Good luck

E-mail me if you wanna talk.

Corinne

K

katia

Hi !

I just got back from DR last Saturday. I got married on May 18, 2000 in DR with the most wonderful Dominican man in the world. It was the most beautiful day in my whole life.

Do not listen to what others say, follow your heart and instincts. It has worked for me. I am in the process of having him come and live in Canada. It is more difficult to have Dominicans come to Canada than Europe. I will be sponsoring him and this can take from 6 to 12 months. But I'm willing to wait that period if it means that I will spend the rest of my life with him.

If you love him, be patient and have faith.

If you have any questions, email me.

Katia from Canada

T

trina

Thanks to all...

Thank you all so much for your informative comments and advice, both in my personal mailbox, and postings on this board. I have gotten some really great suggestions, and hopefully, all will run smoothly with the paperwork. I am sorry I am late in returning the favor, have been really busy with family...

As for John, I really feel sorry for you...such a sad individual. Hopefully, you, too, will someday get a life, and stop trying to bring others down to your level.

M

michelle sauve

Oh dear, this sounds way too familiar...I went through the exact same thing. I travelled back and forth for seven years and thought I had all the answers and that he was being faithful. I moved back home to Canada because my dad has cancer and went to visit in March, only to find out that even though he still "loved" me he had cheated and the girl is pregnant...so he has decided to stay with her because she has his kid...he just couldn't wait until I was suppossed to move back in July..our wedding was suppossed to be on July 5. We has decided he was going to move here even after I took him back, and i sent him the money for the passport and haven't heard from him since. I know what you are going through it is not easy, but I just had to decide that my family is more important. Good luck, if you need someone to talk to e-mail me.. sosuasauve@hotmail.com

W

whatever

John, Don't read the post if it does mot interest you.
Some of us were not reading the board two years ago.

D

De Leenheer Corinne

For Katia in Canada

Hi,

congratulations for your wedding. I wish you all the best.
I see I'm not the only one who knows that Dominican men are respectfull and so sweet to us.

E-mail me sometimes and give me news.

Cheers

Corinne from Belgium