Should we be afraid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Hello all! I am a longtime lurker on this forum but am planning a trip to POP (finally) and need some honest answers. By the way, I am a NYC native but my parents are both from POP and I grew up shuttling between NYC and PP. I am very familar with how things work and was once considered a "native dominican" , since i went to part of elementary school and all of HS @ the local run of the mill schools and whatnot.....but i'm not sure what to expect now, since I know how finnicky my people can be.

Long story short, I haven't been in DR for about 5 years. Since then I have acquired several very visible tattoos and a very, very heavily tattooed husband.

So I have 2 questions/problems to ask about:

1. I have had some pals tell me we shouldnt even go out if we go, since my husband and I will surely be arrested for suspected drug-trafficking simply for being tattooed! Mind you, we have never had trouble with the law anywhere and have done nothing illegal ever. However, I know the local police and their ways. They love to arrest people for no reason and then they require ridiculous amounts of money and influence to let you go.

They said my husband will look Puerto Rican and thus guilty to them (he is actually native hawaiian) and I'm the typical dominican "morenita" except I know I will attract much attention what with the tattoos my enormous Chaka Khan mane.

Are we really going to have to hide out? Are we not going to be able to sit on the malecon on sundays like everyone else does, from fear that we will be detained for simply looking "suspicious"?

2. Last time I was in POP, the people in customs tried to steal stuff from my bags. I had to give an overseer a $10 bill so they would leave me alone. Now I fear I will not only have to deal with that, but also some hardcore harrassment for looking "suspicious". What do you think?

This is nerve-wrecking.

Please tell me anything you know!!!! I would be eternally grateful!!!

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Should I keep worrying and bracing myself?

Hello all! I am a longtime lurker on this forum but am planning a trip to POP (finally) and need some honest answers. By the way, I am a NYC native but my parents are both from POP and I grew up shuttling between NYC and PP. I am very familar with how things work and was once considered a "native dominican" , since i went to part of elementary school and all of HS @ the local run of the mill schools and whatnot.....but i'm not sure what to expect now, since I know how finnicky my people can be.

Long story short, I haven't been in DR for about 5 years. Since then I have acquired several very visible tattoos and a very, very heavily tattooed husband.

So I have 2 questions/problems to ask about:

1. I have had some pals tell me we shouldnt even go out if we go, since my husband and I will surely be arrested for suspected drug-trafficking simply for being tattooed! Mind you, we have never had trouble with the law anywhere and have done nothing illegal ever. However, I know the local police and their ways. They love to arrest people for no reason and then they require ridiculous amounts of money and influence to let you go.

They said my husband will look Puerto Rican and thus guilty to them (he is actually native hawaiian) and I'm the typical dominican "morenita" except I know I will attract much attention what with the tattoos my enormous Chaka Khan mane.

Are we really going to have to hide out? Are we not going to be able to sit on the malecon on sundays like everyone else does, from fear that we will be detained for simply looking "suspicious"?

2. Last time I was in POP, the people in customs tried to steal stuff from my bags. I had to give an overseer a $10 bill so they would leave me alone. Now I fear I will not only have to deal with that, but also some hardcore harrassment for looking "suspicious". What do you think?

This is nerve-wrecking.

Please tell me anything you know!!!! I would be eternally grateful!!!

p.s. im sorry i posted this in the government section too. i wasnt sure where to put it!

Go enjoy your city from where you came from, You will most likely not even encounter the police during your visit unless you are going out with known criminals from the Puerto Plata area.If by chance you do encounter the police don't speak spanish to them, only English and they will know you are a tourist, Resist the temptation to speak spanish with them and they will get frustrated and move on. Stop worrying and start packing!!!!

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
hey relax a little, as long as you have us passports, they wont mess with you just for your tats. ive lived here 7 years and have sleaves, they dont look twice, however in the general publics eyes tats are the markings of tigres...which is a benefit. the local tigres leave you be and maybe not steal you cell phone.......but still be on your toes, the economy is way down here with tourism failing, so crime has been and will probably continue to be on the rise.......

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Go enjoy your city from where you came from, You will most likely not even encounter the police during your visit unless you are going out with known criminals from the Puerto Plata area.If by chance you do encounter the police don't speak spanish to them, only English and they will know you are a tourist, Resist the temptation to speak spanish with them and they will get frustrated and move on. Stop worrying and start packing!!!!

Excellent advice Badpiece. To the OP; what the hell is "Hardcore Harassment"?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
omg thats a great tip!

badpiece, I didnt think that would work! But you're right. I am so gonna just pretend I dont know wtf is going on lol "what? im sorry. i dont speak spanish."

vacara, since the drug and secuestering problems have gotten worse in the last couple years, they have been actively harassing a great number of dominicans everytime they want to come in or out of the country.

the last time i was there, they questioned me for 20 minutes stating my passport must be false because my spanish is too good.

last time my sister went, as she was leaving, she was held at the airport in a tiny room and they wouldnt let her see her son, stating she couldnt take him out of the country. mind you, this child is born and raised in NJ and was only there on vacation. They tried to make her pay an exhorbitant sum unless she got his father, who was in NJ to write a letter saying he can leave DR. The child had an American passport! She almost missed her light after talking to 6 different people and having to get loud.

Not to mention when she arrived, her stroller didn't come out with the rest of their bags and she had to go searching the airport for it, only to find it behind some sectioned off area. the guy guarding it wouldnt give it to her, despite the name tag on it and her showing ID. he tried to charge her to give it back. She started yelling for a supervisor and he changed his tune immediately once a higher up came to see what the problem was.

Also, my bff, who had a fiance in NY and traveled back and forth a couple times a year was held and questioned for hours when she tried to leave. They said they were 100% sure she was trafficking. Nude search and everything. (Physically she looks like the average uppity, light skinned local girl, nothing to draw attention to her at all). They made her miss her flight. She had to pay the difference to change it. Ludicrous. I think this time she didn't have problems but it seems they only treat the "gringos" nice...well...a better part of the time anyway lol

So you see..I am sort of expecting something to happen...but I will instead play dumb and hope for the best. No sense in drawing that kind of energy to us, right?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
no sure where the tats are...but perhaps wearing long sleaved shirts will hide most of them?

and yeah. Dont speak any spanish if you are stopped. Make sure to also keep a photocopy of your passport with you when out and about (just in case).

I really dont think you will have a problem...but it is always good to think ahead just in case.

Now start packing and have a presidente for me!!!!!!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
LOL!!!

Yup. Act like you can neither speak nor understand Spanish. Works like a charm, unless you *look* Dominican.

We've been stopped by PN and Military on tour. They come to the window of the van and ask for money.

I smile enthusiastically, nodding and agreeing with everything they say ("Si! >nod nod< Dinero! >nod nod nod< Si! >nod nod nod nod<").

Alida just sits there about to explode in laughter (she doesn't *look* Dominican, and plays the dumb gringo well.) Eventually, they tire, get frustrated and move on.

I did once nod enthusiastically and give a piece of beef jerky to an AMET officer who wanted to ticket me for a gray-area red light violation. I pretended I thought he was hungry. He waved us on...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don't live there so do not have as much experience with this as those that do reside there full time...but, I agree, relax. Just carry a copy of your passports. You'll hvae a great time. And within a few hours you'll realize your worries are unfounded.

Not to say there isn't scams and theft, but don't sweat your appearances. You'll be fine.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
castleburger, thanks for the tips. my concern is because we all know gringos and locals are held to different standards...... as in, a gringo can have all the tattoos they want and do whatever they want in general, and its ok because youre a "foreigner", but if youre from there, you will be pegged as a tiguere, maleante, ex con...you get my drift.

ctrob, yeah....i will just carry my paperwork and try to relax! lol

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
jrzyguy, poor hubby would have to be in long pants and long sleeved turtle necks 24/7 lol sounds hellish! we will def keep copies of our documents with us, just in case.

cobraboy, thats hilarious! will def do that as well. i do look dominican, though..and my husband looks hispanic though he isnt. *sighs* maybe i can pretend im african american..after all, most dominicans here in the u.s. usually peg me as such since i dont really adhere to what they "think" a dominican-york looks like.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
speak on english

We had the same thing happened to us in Brahona and my husband is dominican.

I was driving and he told me to not "practice" my spanish and he was not going to talk.

I just kept yapping in English and smiling.... and the guy was on a radio saying that my husband looked dominican but didn't speak any spanish at all... the guy was calling my husband all kinds of names trying to get a rise out of him and I just kept yapping in english. Finally he got fed up and waved us on.

It was hilarious, I could not believe my husband kept a straight face through it all.... but it saved us some money and a lot of aggravation

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Is this harrassment going on only in POP airport? seems like many people have complained about this when using POP.

I've never heard anyone in my family having problems at STI or any other airport.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe tie your hair back and wear a pink gingham pinafore dress, thats what I do when I dont want to be looked at

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
and yeah. Dont speak any spanish if you are stopped. Make sure to also keep a photocopy of your passport with you when out and about (just in case).
Good point.

I make a color photocopy of my passport and DL, cut it down, laminate it and use that for a money wallet

Never let go of your passport.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tattooed people will always attract attention in DR but not to the point of arrest :)
just be aware that some people may take you for a prostitute - since many dominican prostitutes here have visible tattoos. do not get into arguments or fights and you will be fine.
take care.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
lol everyone knows me and my parents and all our business in Puerto Plata so them thinking I am a "prostitute" is not really something I need to worry about. Its only the police and their bias I am thinking of. We don't consort with anyone shady nor do we seek trouble....but they dont care how good you are sometimes... I actually do know a guy who was detained in Bonao for being heavily tattooed and nothing else. It does happen. They are just fickle.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
M.A.R., i think you may be right...my mother usually flies to STI and has never had a problem. seems to be POP for the most part.. no clue as to why...

jhartley, lol I wouldnt care if they put me under a spotlight and the whole town ogled me. long as i dont have to deal with the stupid police, i could care less!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for piece of mind you may try to have travel clothes covering your tattoos. and keep your cool if police stops you. you are dominican, you speak spanish. take advantage of that. do not get upset, do not argue, be nice. let the police know that your family is local and well known. they will think twice about bothering you.
have fun in POP and take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.