Cost of Golf Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
My son will shortly be coming to Sosua for a year, he is a golfer - I know nothing about the subject. Is it easy to buy golf clubs in the Sosua area or would he be better off bringing his own clubs at the airline cost of $150 plus a travel bag?

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
May be you'll get a reply soon, Pansy. I guess that many golfers were at the Charity Tournament at Playa Dorada yesterday.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He can rent clubs at most of the courses. If this is a big deal for him, then pay the piper and bring his own..

HB

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Yeah what airline is that that charges $150.00 for a travel bag? I know that most of the airlines are charging extra for extra luggage, but $150.00???

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My son will shortly be coming to Sosua for a year, he is a golfer - I know nothing about the subject. Is it easy to buy golf clubs in the Sosua area or would he be better off bringing his own clubs at the airline cost of $150 plus a travel bag?

US $150 for your son's golf clubs seems a tad high so first of all you might like to check this with the airline - US $60 would seem like a fairer & more normal charge!

Wht age is your son? Is he looking for new or S/H clubs? If he goes along to one of the local golf courses & starts talking with the caddies or club pro I am SURE they would find him something he could buy .............. for an inflated price of course! :cheeky: ! :pirate: ! If that fails & he is prepared to put up with something 'not the latest model' I have three sets sitting in my car port area he can investigate for purchase!!! NONE of them will be more than just 50% of the above stated 'airline cost'!! PM me if he wants more info. ~ Grahame.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Thank you for the responses so far. We are likely to be flying Continental and they have very recently increased their charges for baggage and reduced the size. They are now counting golf clubs as an extra piece of baggage which is why the charge is so much more than most of you will have paid.
We are currently trying to do something similar to quadratic equations regarding seat prices, baggage allowances, excess charges and flight dates. It is useful to know that the golf clubs can be left behind if necessary.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Terrance Thomas

US $150 for your son's golf clubs seems a tad high so first of all you might like to check this with the airline - US $60 would seem like a fairer & more normal charge!

Wht age is your son? Is he looking for new or S/H clubs? If he goes along to one of the local golf courses & starts talking with the caddies or club pro I am SURE they would find him something he could buy .............. for an inflated price of course! :cheeky: ! :pirate: ! If that fails & he is prepared to put up with something 'not the latest model' I have three sets sitting in my car port area he can investigate for purchase!!! NONE of them will be more than just 50% of the above stated 'airline cost'!! PM me if he wants more info. ~ Grahame.

Sir,
I may be interested in those clubs - just some of them,not all , either left or right handed, depending on price :))

Can you tell me the condition of the "sweet spot"?

_____ well worn
_____ normal
_____ never used

Thank you in advance for your kind response to my query.

T. Thomas

dingdongdenny

Jan 6, 2007
was going to comment

:cheeky:eek:n t. thomas post;),but decided not to as grahame is such a gracious host on the golf course.
on the op question, if he's an avid golfer then i would say bring his own clubs
Myself i would leave my wife home before i would leave my golf clubs home.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Sir,
I may be interested in those clubs - just some of them,not all , either left or right handed, depending on price :))

Can you tell me the condition of the "sweet spot"?

_____ well worn
_____ normal
_____ never used

Thank you in advance for your kind response to my query.

T. Thomas

If they are bushbaby's clubs than sweet spot should be virgin like :bunny:;)!!!! ...sorry BB...tom

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
If they are bushbaby's clubs than sweet spot should be virgin like :bunny:;)!!!! ...sorry BB...tom

:cheeky: ;) :cheeky: You beat me to a somewhat similar response by about 5 Hours Tom. I HAD intended adding "WHAT, there's a sweet spot on the clubs???? Why didn't someone tell me that 30 years ago"!

I could respond with something relating to the Saturday Tournament ............... Nahhhhh, you're too nice a guy to do that to!! ;)

To answer your question somewhat seriously WW (TT for short) the grooves are in place on ALL the clubs (slightly worn on ONE sand-wedge only!).
Two sets are carbon fibre shafts one is True temper steel
One set has dented (but not cracked) 3 & 5 wood but comes with 3 & 4 hybrids.
One set is 3-pw irons only (but 3 & 5 wood could be added)
The True Temper steel set is virtually unused & is 3 - pw (but as above 3 & 5 could be added).

ALL sets have a (choice of) golf bag & putter of choice.

Why not meet me for a practice session on the driving range here in Playa Dorada one day & you can hit balls to your hearts content & find out which set suits you best? PM me with a suggested time date. Tom might care to join us as he too needs the practice! :cheeky: ! ;) :pirate: !! ~ Grahame.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Clubs here in the DR are grossly overpriced, especially in the tourist areas. If he is going to be playing frequently, it wouldn't make sense to rent clubs, as that won't be cheap either.

I recommend you look at changing your carrier at the connection that comes to the DR. Many airlines treat golfclubs as regular luggage. Try Spirit, American and Jetblue. This shouldn't be that difficult and I have done this before to save money. Just try to allow for at least two hours from arrival to boarding time.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
"Tom might care to join us as he too needs the practice! ! !!" ~ Grahame.

Practice? Each of you guys were on the 2 teams that shot 8-friggin under to win the thing. It's the rest of us needing practice.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Clubs here in the DR are grossly overpriced, especially in the tourist areas. If he is going to be playing frequently, it wouldn't make sense to rent clubs, as that won't be cheap either.

I recommend you look at changing your carrier at the connection that comes to the DR. Many airlines treat golfclubs as regular luggage. Try Spirit, American and Jetblue. This shouldn't be that difficult and I have done this before to save money. Just try to allow for at least two hours from arrival to boarding time.

Last I checked, Jet Blue = NO clubs allowed (to DR) at any cost
AA = Hard cover golf case up to 70 pounds counts as one ckecked bag (free)
Spirit = Clubs count as one checked bag (not free, I think $25, as they charge for all checked bags)

Status
Not open for further replies.