• Thread starter Elias Rodriguez, CFA
  • Start date

Tourism within the Dominican Republic

E

Elias Rodriguez, CFA

I just arrived back from Punta Cana this weekend and I came back with an interesting question upon my arrival. I have most of my family in the DR (La Romana) and I was interested in knowing if I can purchase a package (hotel all inclusive) for my uncle in Santo Domingo to go to Punta Cana at the same hotel I would be at. I believe someone told me that the DR has a internal tourism program. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know since I am interested in the idea for my next trip next year.

Thank You

Elias Rodriguez, CFA

N

Natasha

There are tons of travel agencies and tour operators in the DR. What I do know is that many times a hotel/resort will offer a special rate for Dominican citizens. I am not sure if there's a major difference in price, but I have often heard of this "Dominican rate". I suggest that you take a look at ASONAHORES web page below. That should be at least a start. Hope this helps.

R

Roberto

Hi Natasha&Elias

the Spetials Rates for dominicans

are done on spetials Festive Days-weeks

but with the Agency Travel-Tours Operator
spetial Deals-Agreement with the all inclusive hoteles
many time even with the spetial rates that the hoteles sayd they have for the dominicans
still very spencif rates compair with the prices that the Tourits pay

unles that this dominican dont have a good positions with a big known companie in the country

I sujest Elias

to look firts in his local agency travel
and then after direct with the sales Reservations Departments
in the hotels and then compair the prices

the Occidentals Hoteles in Punta Cana seems to have the best rates compair
the melias-Riu-LTI-Iberostart,
but do not beleive me I am juts Telling you what my Friends told me after they holidays in does places

you should email them and check for you self

by the way
those hoteles are very good

the melias-Riu-LTI-Iberostart-+-the Occidental Flamenco
have a nice day

G

Greg

The prices for Dominicans are dramatically lower than for foreigners. Typically 1/2 the price. I have found that you can get Dominican prices though if you book and pre-pay through a Dominican travel agency. I used to use Emely Tours in Santo Domingo, though they seem to have closed.

My wife (a Dominican) recently called a Domincan travel agent to book some hotels for her stay in the DR and the agent asked her whether she had her cedula (Dominican ID card). Since she does, the agent told her she could get her the "Dominican" rates.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would disagree. The bulk of tourist packages are sold with cheaper rates than what Dominicans or foreign residents can get in the DR. This is simply because of the volume involved. Locals have to be constantly watching the newspapers to find sales at resorts. For hotels the local business is less attractive than the foreign tourists because foreigners will book for a week, while locals will fill rooms almost always only on weekends or long weekends.

A

Andy

Delores,

I would tend to agree with you that a week's booking by a foreigner who has a lot more money to spend is preferred to a weekend booking by an on-island person, foreign or Dominican, who just wants to get away for several days.

That is generally true but an over-simplification. I know of MANY hotels on-island that offer a year-round discount to island residents, 4 alone here in tiny Las Galeras. Yes we appreciate our foreign visitors, but I think we appreciate our local trade even more, especially in the low season when we tend to starve. If it weren't for our local trade, many of us would be forced to shut down for 6 months of the year and find a job off-island just so we could eat (like we have had to do in the past).

Do we appreciate our Dominican trade? You bet we do!

R

Roberto

this spetial
Rate dear Andy have nothings to do
with if you are Dominican ore not,like you sayd my Friend
it is a low season discount rate
but if you check on the total that the Tourits payd for they all inclusive package
Plane/Meals/Room/Drinks

you would see that this time we have to agree 100% with Dolores
we are not a Atractive Market for the hoteles
unles you know the managment,you have a good Presentation,
and know how to tallk
you would not pay lest then A Tourits that is fore sure

if you have friends in north america/europe
please ask them what are the global prices now to come over
for 08/15/21 days
and compair it withe oure local Rates

about Local Agencys Travel making good Prices
untill wher I know
the only solvente Companies that could make good prices

are Turinter/Prieto Tours

have a nice week end
peace:)

A

Andy

Roberto,

We appreciate ALL the business we get, both Dominican and our foreign guests. What I attempted to convey is that high season or low, we appreciate our Dominican business as much or even more than our foreign guests. Why? Simply because you live here and because most of our "local" resident guests become repeat customers. And as an added bonus, we've met some really great people who live in the DR and we appreciate that!