Couch Surfing in the DR

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I have been interested in the concept of couch surfing for a few years now. It has been around for a while and I know people in the U.S. who have done it.

If you don't know what it is, check out the website:
CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time

The website says there are quite a few people registered in the DR, and most are in Santo Domingo:
CouchSurfing - CouchSearch!

I was wondering if anyone has done it or is interested in couch surfing in the DR. It's a beautiful country, and personally I haven't been able to see all that I would like to because of how much some hotels can cost. I've never even been to Punta Cana (what kind of a gringa am I?!). Plus I think it would be a fun way to meet people. What do you think?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
on thinking about this concept, in general i wouldn't really recommend you do this. dominicans can be a little rough with people they don't know or have a family relationship with. it might be ok, but i suspect it will be far more likely to lead to problems than you would find in other countries.

Last edited:

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i am a couch surfing member. have only hosted 1 person ( i am rather off the beaten path) and have answered a few questions for other members that were in my area. have never surfed though but i like the concept and it would be convenient if you were in an area you did not know and need some suggestions or if in need of accomodations. back in my 20's i'd have been all over it:)