Bringing over Dominicans on the Canadian live-in caregiver program?

Charitin

Aug 28, 2009
Hi all,

My husband is Dominican and we have been living together in Toronto for many years. We really want to bring his sister here (my husband has no family here and we've explored several options over the years with no success) and since she doesn't quality under any other program we are considering the live-in caregiver one (We have one child and another on the way)...

But she has studied economics and is working managing accounts right now... the CIC site says that you need one year experience with kids or a 6 month related course as well as passable English/French.... We have tried to see if there are any courses offered that she may be able to take in preparation but it seems like all the early childhood education courses or similar are University ones requiring 4 years of study...

Has anyone had any experience with bringing someone from the Dominican or coming here on the live in caregiver program? I have no idea how strict they are in terms of the requirements or the English ...Any idea of courses that may help her?

Thanks for any information !

Charitin

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi and welcome to DR1. I don't have an exact answer for you but I read this section of the website;

Live-in Caregiver Program
The Live-in Caregiver Program is a special government program, whose objective is to bring workers to Canada to do live-in work as Caregivers, when there are not enough Canadians to fill the available positions. A live-in Caregiver is someone who provides care to children, the elderly or the disabled in a private household.

Do we have a shortage of caregivers in Canada at this time?

Charitin

Aug 28, 2009
Hi there,

I've read up on the program quite thoroughly and also have spoken to many women from the Philippines here on the program. I'm sure we meet all the requirements from this end and I am aware of the process. What I really need to know is if someone has come here on the live in caregiver program or sponsored someone from the DR to come and what the stipulations were and if there were courses that they took that helped.

Thanks! Charitin