CDE Where are you

E

Eddy

Does anyone have an idea what's happening to the CDE electrical service in the Sosua area. 15 hrs/day without.

J

Joke!!

CDE Reason

Once upon a time there was a president.His name was Leonel.
He allways made sure that there was enough light for everybody.
Now times have changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a new president.Hipolito.
Both of them are standing infront of the CDE switch.
Like little kids they are fighting ,if the switch should be up or down.
And up and down he goes!!!
Thats why the electricity allways goes on and off.

Hope I could answer your question.

D

Depp4

Didn't you know that from now on platanos have priority?
Who needs electricity?

H

hillbilly

A bit more serious than that...

The situation of the Dominican electrical grid is much more serious then mere politics or politicians.
The system has had serious defects since the days of Trujillo and as the economy, population and government have grown, so have the problems.
#1-Government dependencies-any of them- do not budget nor are they expected to pay for their lights. Nor are high ranking military personel. Nor are the big politicos and their friends.
#2-the power grid itself. This national distribution system is antiquated(?) beyond belief, and only a BID sponsored program of renovation over the past 6 years has allowed some improvement.
#3-the fact that "poor" people do not pay for their lights. While there is some margin for error, perhaps 25% of the energy sent out on the lines is never paid for. A trip out to the countryside or into one of the "barrios" will show this. In the cities, perhaps 50% is never paid for.
#4-the production facilities, themselves, are quite antiquated.
A recent report showed that many of the thermoelectric plants are approaching the normal limits of life-expectancy. This, in a country where "maintenance" is a bad word. In contrast we have the system at Falconbridge which is over 25 years old and still capable of producing 10% more than its rating!!! Maintenance is carried out exactly, on the dot, every cycle. An insider story: Once upon a time, someone forgot to put the governor onone of the plants at Falconbridge and it ran for four days at +10% of capacity! Nothing wrong, just hummed along....DID YOU KNOW? That when Falconbridge installed the 186 megas, it more than doubled the national electrical output at that time? Fact.
#5-the government doesn't pay its bills. it is public knowledge that the present government has not and has stated that it will not pay what it owes to the private producers of electricity. While it is also true that there are some real sweetheart contracts out there, the CDE can afford to pay, it it stops channeling monies to other-political-uses.

There is more but this is just a nutshell.

E

Eddy

Re: A bit more serious than that...

Right on the mark Hillbilly. But taditionally the Sosua area was spared these long lasting "Apagones" Did you hear about anything recent?

J

julian

the thing is that the whole cibao region depends heavily on the smith-enron generator in puerto plata. this plant has been apparently a fiasco from the beginning, major structural and design flaws, etc. So every time that this so-called generator "gives up" because of its poor mantainance and design the whole cibao region is left in the dark.

H

hillbilly

Smith-Enron Design...hummm

?this is an interesting aspect that I had not considered. Especially since Enron is a very big and supposedly reliable generation company out of Texas, I think.
What were the flaws? Aside from expecting this or any government to pay on time??? The American Chamber of Commerce has just elected the Smith-Enron General Manager as their president for the next two years...do you think this has something to do with getting the bill paid???

HB

S

Spyque

Re: Smith-Enron Design...hummm

Hillbilly, if it were anyone else, I'd just let this go. You have been the most informed person on this site since day one and I think you need to know something from the inside. Before I go on, let me say that I am not a fan of "Smith-Enron" management. However, they did try, somewhat.....

The only design flaw that existed at the time of initial operation was the noise issue with the forced draft fans. These fans are loud and add significantly to the background noise of the area. Now, having said that, let me address the equipment failures that occurred in the first few months of this plants existence.

The first failure was that of boiler tubes in west boiler. This failure was caused by improper water chemistry. There were subsequent failures in the other boiler as well as in the Heat Recovery Steam Generator that were caused by the same water chemistry issue. These failures were repaired by the original EPC contractor. Later, there were unscheduled outages due to corrosion in the compressor section of the combustion turbine. This was found to be caused by sea spray. I do not know who made these repairs. Later visits to the facility showed that some "jury-rigging" of control devices had led to additional failures.

Now Hillbilly, you are armed with pertinent information. I will let you draw you own conclusion.

C

Canadian Bob

Re: A bit more serious than that...

Great nutshell Hillbilly! The people who pay are being targeted and the bills are astronomic! Even if I ran an electric welder at my place the bills should not be so high. Smith Enron ruined the Bayside Hotel in Costambar with its noise and smoke.Sure they settled for a pile of money, but the shell of a hotel still stands as a reminder of what these people can get away with, even when they are financed by the World Bank!! Canadian Bob.

H

hillbilly

Re: Smith-Enron Design...hummm

Thank you for a very well informed summary of the structural and ADMINISTRATIVE failures of Smith Enron. It seems to me that the right hand (S/E) doesn't know what the left hand (Falconbridge perhaps)is doing.
All these problems withwater, and we have Calgon right here to help out! Seems that Smith Enron need to get better consultants. Shame on you Smith Enron.
HB