banana boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Has anyone gone on the banana boats in Sosua? I was wondering where they start out/where you pay and how much does it cost?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just wave the guy down, the Gringo price is as low as RD100/PP and as high as RD500/PP if you just fell off the platano truck.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
And be careful with these deals. It's not like they adhere to any safety rules. Even had a death not too long ago.
Also be aware of these boats and other surfers and such having little regards for swimmers and bathers.

... J-D.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
did it done it wont do it again......I dont know if they enjoy tipping everbody in the water but they do. its like this ....they leave from the beach going good all of a sudden they speed up and make a sharp turn and pow...everyone over. yes u have a life jacket but the trick now is to get on the boat with 5 or 6 other people moving and shaking the boat,....good luck

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
12 years ago, I was flipped off the very back of one of these rides in Cyprus. As I flew up, my spine and legs twisted in different directions, with most of my Gluteus Maximus torn out of the Illiac Crest in my right buttock. It took 2 years of physiotherapy and osteopathy to repair the muscle to about 80% of it's former condition and 12 years later, I have severe problems sitting for more than 20 mins at any one time. Perhaps you can have a blast on these rides but my body was damaged permanently for 5 minutes of fun.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
they are very fun.

if you choose to live life, and not be worried about all the things that MIGHT happen, yo ucan have a great time.

yes, i will agree posts above.. the drivers of the baots do have little regard for safety. they are crazy close to swimmers when in towards the beach, and they do love to crank the wheel and tip everyone off.

but, for most, its fun. and thats whay they do it.

we went on one at sosua back in 07 and most of us had a blast, my mom however was terrified. so he took it easy the rest of the ride.

last month, we went again, this time it was me, trig, and benjamin, along with a few locals.

the driver of course dumped us over in front of casa marina.

while everyone was getting back on the boat, in deep water, i tried climbing up. grabbed the wrong spot, and being the mucho grande guy that i am... i managed to pull the boat over and tip everyone off again.

once we were loaded up AGAIN, we took off. we all started bouncing// and benjamin fell off. funny thing is, the boat driver turned around togo back and get ben.. and thats when the rest of us noticed him... he didnt even realize he had fallen off :) not sure how the boat captain heard him and we didnt, but i give the guy credit for that.

of course, at the end of the ride, he dumped us all quickly up by the beach.

yes its dangerous.....

but so is surfing. skydiving. jet skiing. snow skiing. hang gliding. horseback riding.. hell, catching a ride on a motoconch.

some people ignor the risk for the sake of the fun.

btw: in 07 i think we got suckered for like 300 pesos each.

this time around we knew better and i THINK we paid 100 each.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
i am a bit more cautious these days ,last October i had a boggy board incident leading to very bruised painful ribs ,the last few days of vacation and then flight home were unbearable. so maybe banana boats are not for me after all.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Why is that all this stuff happens to tourist?? I have been over the banana boats like 18 times and I have never had or heard that anybody had an accident in it, they just shake it side to side with the leading boat so when it hits a wave everybody falls down to the water, is a lot of fun, and for what I can see not really dangerous, I believe riding a motoconcho is way more dangerous than that.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i hate the darn things! I've never been on one myself but they cruise very close to swimmers and are quite dangerous. I had to save a guy who almost drowned in the wake of a banana boat. Jet skiers are even worse. You get a drunk touriist on a jet ski and you have a dangerous situation.

I would personaly choose a different and safer source of entertainment.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
i hate the darn things! I've never been on one myself but they cruise very close to swimmers and are quite dangerous. I had to save a guy who almost drowned in the wake of a banana boat. Jet skiers are even worse. You get a drunk touriist on a jet ski and you have a dangerous situation.

I would personaly choose a different and safer source of entertainment.

You make it sound like if it was a 747-400 passing by. Ease up with the alarming tone, the wake is just a small wave, if some guy would have drown because of it, he had no business swimming in that or any beach in the world

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Why is that all this stuff happens to tourist?? I have been over the banana boats like 18 times and I have never had or heard that anybody had an accident in it, they just shake it side to side with the leading boat so when it hits a wave everybody falls down to the water, is a lot of fun, and for what I can see not really dangerous, I believe riding a motoconcho is way more dangerous than that.

Yes motos are dangerous, cars are dangerous, bicycles are dangerous - practically anything is 'dangerous' in certain circumstances. The truth is that we all already know that those things can cause death or injury if and when things go wrong.

Tourists get a chance to take a ride on a banana in the sea when they are on vacation and no-one blames them for doing it - it can be great fun. They should however also know that it can and does go wrong and then they can make an informed decision on whether or not to take the risk.

My Osteopath coined a new medical expression after treating me - he called it being ''bananerd'' and we had a good laugh about it. The reality for me is that I am still living with the damage being 'flicked' off the back of one of these rides. So apparently are other people IP -- Sign In Page

Read the facts, make the choice, whatever suits.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Yes motos are dangerous, cars are dangerous, bicycles are dangerous - practically anything is 'dangerous' in certain circumstances. The truth is that we all already know that those things can cause death or injury if and when things go wrong.

Tourists get a chance to take a ride on a banana in the sea when they are on vacation and no-one blames them for doing it - it can be great fun. They should however also know that it can and does go wrong and then they can make an informed decision on whether or not to take the risk.

My Osteopath coined a new medical expression after treating me - he called it being ''bananerd'' and we had a good laugh about it. The reality for me is that I am still living with the damage being 'flicked' off the back of one of these rides. So apparently are other people IP -- Sign In Page

Read the facts, make the choice, whatever suits.

I'm sorry about your accident, I really hope it keeps healing more as the time pass by so you can be 100% again. But I believe those types of accidents are really the exception, a really low percentage by the amount of people who ride it.

In regards to your accident, was the guy going too fast, or making really sharp turns?? because the ones I have ride in Boca Chica does not go or turn that fast for the passenger to get really twisted, it is most likely the wave of the leading boat that throw everybody to the water.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
I read that you should go at no more than 15 mph and it is so long ago I cannot remember the speed. I do remember that the water was very choppy and we were bounced so much I had trouble holding on. It was only 1 or 2 minutes into the ride and I was right on the very back so I got 'flipped' probably more than a meter up and twisted my spine. I agree, my accident is probably rare but perhaps the lesson is sit at the front for less impact and more control?

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
Unfortunately, I think the lesson is.....if you are paying, they will take you for a ride. If the water is choppy, it is going to be a rough ride. You have to be responsible for yourself and make your own decisions! Should they say something? Yes. Will they? No.
I think everyone needs to realize that they are worried about feeding the family. If a gringo gets injured in doing that, so be it! We are rich and can afford the rehab to get back to normal.
We all have to go into every situation there with our eyes wide open! It is up to each individual as to what they are up to doing and except the consequence's of those decisions!
I am not trying to be a d#*k, but, these people do not worry about our health, it is completely up to us to make responsible decisions!

As far as boats on the beach goes, heads up!

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Got to toss my two bits worth with the people who think the banana boats are fun and worth the small risk. Been on the ones in Sosua Bay and they go a lot slower than we do when water skiing or tubing here in B.C. Heck, for the teenagers, most of the fun is getting popped off the tube so they get a good dunking. Having said all that, the boat drivers really need to be careful when going anywhere near the swimming areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.