your advice with Las Galeras lodging for single guy

elronaldo

Sep 7, 2009
I'm hopeful someone can recommend a moderately priced place (around $45 U.S.night) in Las Galeras for a single guy traveling solo. I'm not that that social but don't want to stay somewhere that's very isolated and boring--or around a bunch of cheerless, stuffy people either. Somewhere with at least a modicum of social interaction.

Also, is it possible to long-term lease or buy a small scooter or motorcycle in Las Galeras? I've got 3 months starting in February to wile away in Dominican Republic and don't want to hoof it entirely.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
Las Galeras

I'm hopeful someone can recommend a moderately priced place (around $45 U.S.night) in Las Galeras for a single guy traveling solo. I'm not that that social but don't want to stay somewhere that's very isolated and boring--or around a bunch of cheerless, stuffy people either. Somewhere with at least a modicum of social interaction.

Also, is it possible to long-term lease or buy a small scooter or motorcycle in Las Galeras? I've got 3 months starting in February to wile away in Dominican Republic and don't want to hoof it entirely.

Thanks for your help!

There are plenty of places available in that price range in LG. You can try La Rancheta (they have a website) Also there is Hotel Todo Blanco that is right on the beach and reasonably priced.... Gri-Gri has rooms upstairs, right at the 4 corners...Hotel El Marinique is also very reasonable, and close to everything.

As far as a bike or scooter goes, you can buy or rent one in LG, but I would suggest going into Samana, as you will find a much better selection and far better prices there...

Hope this helps.... See you in Las Galeras!

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I recently stayed at Costa Azul. 2000 RD a night. Very nice. Inlcudes a large breakfast. Has a great pool. I would go there without a booking and just look around and see what you like.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I've stayed at Todo Blanco and loved it. But if you are alone, you'll have to find social interaction elsewhere, maybe just a 5 (make that 2) minute walk into the village!

Have fun!

elronaldo

Sep 7, 2009
Much thanks all for your responses--very helpful. I had read about La Rancheta and Todo Blanco on Trip Adviser and this site but hadn't heard about Costa Azul or Gri-Gri.

I think I'll follow your tip, drcaycu, and go there without booking and look around. I've not been very lucky with sight unseen decisions.

Thanks again!

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Arrive there in the morning or around noon then you have the whole day to look around and choose a nice place.

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi,
As drcaycu said just turn up lots of nice places around LG, take a look at Hotel El Marinique.

Happy Days

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Las Galeras

Hi,
I have a place for rent about 5 miles out of town. I think it is the only rental advertised on this site, under "Las Galeras, Samana"

It is quiet during the day, allowing you to pursue a lot of different interests. I am a single guy, and I have ventured into town a lot, in a rented car, and yes, motorcycles are for rent also. The area has a lot of Europeans, so it was great to meet with many different people from many different countries. Many of the restaurants are quiet, and you can strike up a conversation with anyone there, assuming you know a little Spanish, German, or French. There are also a lot of open air discos that have mostly locals and a few tourists, dancing to loud music.

Should you rent a small car, or bike, you can venture down to Samana, or Las Terrenas, see the falls at El Limon, make the three day hike to the highest point in the Carribean; Pico Duarte, etc.

If you rent my place, I can offer it to you at a price in your range. You can reply back at reilleyp@yahoo.com or skype me if you are overseas.
Pat