San Francisco de Macoris Baseball

rkeith

Aug 20, 2009
I am going to be doing a project on los Gigantes and how the team affects the city and people's lives in this city.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I may contact about baseball in San Francisco de Macoris: fans, business owners of bars or restaurants, players or ex-players that may be accessible, team officials, or anyone else.

Also, is it easy to get tickets to the games, and where do people watch away games? A popular bar?

I should be in SFM in two weeks.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
809-588-8882 / Fax 809-472-3504

English name: Cibao Giants

Address: Introca Building, Av. 27 de febrero

Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana.

Web: Gigantes del Cibao :: Club Baseball

Email: gigantes@gigantesdelcibao.com

Republica Dominicana.

President: Mr. Laurentino Genao

General Manager: Candido Maldonado

Incumbent Manager: Felix Fermin

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have a niece looking for you. She will call me back before the weekend. We WILL find you a place to stay...or at least a place to start your stay....

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I heard that SFM has been sold and may be moving to POP.

Anybody else hear this?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Cobra, the team that was sold was the Escogido. What the Giants did was hire Candy Maldonado as their General Manager. Haven't heard any rumors about moving to POP.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Talked to niece. A guy will be calling her this pm. She will call me.

Houses, expensive, apts, few.
families not yet.

Patience...this is the RD at work..

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Supposedly, there is only one good hotel in SFM, "El Cibao". However, studio apartments can be found with ac and rented for short terms. If interested send an email to my good friend Patricio patriciofalconi@gmail.com. He doesn't speak English too well but can read it and knows the SFM market. Typicall, here in the DR a security deposit of 3 months is required up front and this includeds all commissions.

rkeith

Aug 20, 2009
Thanks, but need contacts

Thanks for your helps guys,

but no one really answered the original post.

does anyone know of bars that may be popular for watching the games, or have someone i may want to contact such as a rabid fan, a journalist, a team administrator, a business owner that caters to the baseball fans.

no offense, but i am aware of the website and the location of the stadium.

anyway, thanks for your help
keith

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks for your helps guys,

but no one really answered the original post.

does anyone know of bars that may be popular for watching the games, or have someone i may want to contact such as a rabid fan, a journalist, a team administrator, a business owner that caters to the baseball fans.

no offense, but i am aware of the website and the location of the stadium.

anyway, thanks for your help
keith

I don't know SFM well, but being a somewhat small town that basically has no tourist industry I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any bars as such. Good luck.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
hmm, if i wanted info about a team even the bars that cater to fans, i would call the team. they've got public relations people who work for the team.

i go directly to the source.

rkeith

Aug 20, 2009
Thanks

Cool, thats what I am doing.
Starting with the team offices here in Santo Domingo and then heading to SFM next week. Thanks for the info.
Keith

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
This is probably too late to help but when staying in SFM the best budget hotel is Hotel Libano which is located right on central park. It's just under RD$1,000 a night as I recall and is really a good value. Clean room, AC, cable, secure and walking distance to all kinds of cafes (De Moya), diners (El Polo), restaurants (Restaurante Dorado) and shopping. Moving up in price, the nicest hotel is Los Caobos which is a bit more secluded & runs closer to $100 a night, but is very nice. Make sure to call for reservations because they're often full on weekends due to weekend groups (equestrians mostly) from Santiago/La Vega.

If you want to watch baseball I'd recommend The Cliff which is a ginormous baseball/colmado/dominos meet up spot on the main drag. There will be dozens of people there for any SFM game. Once you're at the The Cliff you'll see several other restaurants/bars on the same main street (Rancho Papa King, et al.)

Hope this helps...

rkeith

Aug 20, 2009
Already Back

Yea, I got back to the states. I was in SFM through Christmas, the end of the baseball regular season. Did a bunch of interviews with fans, business owners, people that work with the team or outside the stadium, and team officials. Good time, made some firends.

This is an extremely poor town, and I had major culture shock on my return. Stayed at the Libao a few times and I would also recommend it. Around 1000 pesos like you said. The Caobas is not really an option, being that it is like 20 minutes outside of town, and that it is pretty pricey.

I stayed in two other hotels that were like 450 pesos a night. One on Libertad and one near the Park. Both were pretty disgusting. No running water, and pretty dirty. Lol, but I was also staying with some fans in a shanty town on the edge of town for a few weeks.

Is the Cliff that colmado that is like two really big ones right next to each other. If so, we went there often. I also watched some games at Tanque, the big colmado on the highway out of town, and the big green colmado on libertad. But which one is the Cliff?

Are you from there?