Larimar real or fake?

kcheeky

Sep 17, 2009
Hi Everyone
I will be traveling to DR and would like to buy some Larimar jewelry.
My question is how can I tell if the stone is real or imitation?
Is there any signs to look for? Someone told me the real stone will feel cold to the touch and plastic imitations will feel warm. Is that correct?
Thanks for your help!

B

BettyDiamond

there is a thread about this subject somewhere- fake will probably have some sort of coating on it to make it seem shinier- if its cheap its fake ,but if its expensive it could be either fake or real lol- best to buy from reliable source like Harrisons the jewellers,on the other hand if you like it and its fake and cheap .....buy it

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Where will you be

Where you are at can make a difference on where you go to buy it, Santo Domingo has a larimar museum. plus some very good jewelry stores. other areas Harrison's is a good option.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
If you go to the museum I believe you can see how they make some of the jewelery and they sell it there and also at the Ambar museum.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Where you are at can make a difference on where you go to buy it, Santo Domingo has a larimar museum. plus some very good jewelry stores. other areas Harrison's is a good option.
Would the prices be better at the larimar museum or a jewelry store?

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
hum

Would the prices be better at the larimar museum or a jewelry store?

don't know depends on how you buy it, for instance a necklaces I would think cheaper as you can buy the pendant and get the chain where ever. There is a Japanese ran store on Palo Hincado that I normally use, never a problem and If they are closed for lunch or what ever will open for me. very nice older couple, lots of Lairmar and amber. Love some of their amber carvings. They are in the first block off Independenca, headed for the sea right hand side. But they close at 5-5:30

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
with larimar I don't think there is a way to tell, you could very easily pass turquoise for larimar.

Amber I have heard that if you rub it until it gets hot there will be an smell and none when its plastic,