prepostions test - para/por

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
80%... #3 & #7 wrong.
I kinda feel good about that... if I'm getting 80% correct in daily usage, that's a big step forward for me. next stop, 100%! :)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Also got 8 out of 10 - number 2 and number 6 were incorrect. I, too, was quite pleased with that result! Only problem is that am not certain why they were right or wrong :)

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Took it again... 9 out of 10... still missed #7. :ermm:
Good thing is, didn't feel I was guessing at any of them. Even for #7, I had my reasons :)

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Also got 8 out of 10 - number 2 and number 6 were incorrect. I, too, was quite pleased with that result! Only problem is that am not certain why they were right or wrong :)[/QUOTE

#2, not a good sentence on a test. It could be either one, although the meaning changes:
El e-mail fue enviado para Roberto. =The e-mail was sent for Roberto.
El e-mail fue enviado por Roberto. = The e-mail was sent by Roberto.

In #6 you need para to indicate the use or purpose of a thing, even if the sentence is negative.
Estos zapatos son (no son) para correr. (These shoes are for running.)
Este vaso es para agua solamente. (This glass is only for water.)

Hope this helps.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
#2, not a good sentence on a test. It could be either one, although the meaning changes:

In #6 you need para to indicate the use or purpose of a thing, even if the sentence is negative.
Estos zapatos son (no son) para correr. (These shoes are for running.)
Este vaso es para agua solamente. (This glass is only for water.)

Hope this helps.

Yes, a great help, thank you.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Took it again... 9 out of 10... still missed #7. :ermm:
Good thing is, didn't feel I was guessing at any of them. Even for #7, I had my reasons :)

Use para to indicate a destination:
Voy para Madrid. (I am going to Madrid.) (OK: Voy a Madrid.)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Por = a passive construction

Hope this helps.

Norma,

I think the reason why the answer is 'por' is because it's a passive construction formed with ser + por (the agent) which should be avoided in Spanish anyway. I have never seen a passive phrase with ser + para.

Example- Fue escrito por xxx, fue abierto por xxx, fue hecho por xxx. This passive construction always requires 'por' not para.

-Marianopolita.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Norma,

I think the reason why the answer is 'por' is because it's a passive construction formed with ser + por (the agent) which should be avoided in Spanish anyway. I have never seen a passive phrase with ser + para.

Example- Fue escrito por xxx, fue abierto por xxx, fue hecho por xxx. This passive construction always requires 'por' not para.

-Marianopolita.[/QUO

It is a passive voice, and it should be avoided. However, if anyone wants to use it, that is the meaning it conveys.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I said that...

Norma,

Isn't that what I said in my post?

The passive construction with ser explains why the answer on the test is 'por'. However, the phrase construction should be avoided but not to say it's not seen in newspapers especially the bilingual ones. Tons of examples in el Nuevo Herald.

Norma,

-Marianopolita.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
10 outta 10! I was surprised, but my spoken spanish is definitely not as good as my written, but I agree #2 was worded funny and could be answered either way.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Active voice vs. passive voice

10 outta 10! I was surprised, but my spoken spanish is definitely not as good as my written, but I agree #2 was worded funny and could be answered either way.

Para is not an option in #2.

The only option for # 2 is por because the 'passive voice' is being used which is not a preferred construction in Spanish. It's used more often in English and even so in formal writing it's suggested that the sentence be reworded.

If you change the sentence to the active voice you will see why 'por' is the only option.

1/ Robert sent the email= active voice

2/ The email was sent by Robert= passive voice

-#2 is the equivalent phrase in Spanish and to express 'by Robert' it must be por Roberto. In a passive construction with ser + agent (of the action) it must be expressed by 'por'. Therefore, the answer on the test is correct- El e-mail fue enviado por Roberto.

This university course grammar link also gives a good explanation of what I have tried to explain in a simplified version.

The Passive Voice in Spanish (And How to Avoid It)

-Marianopolita.

Status
Not open for further replies.