rent increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
can someone give the rules and laws on getting your rent increased. is there a time given, is there a amount or % allowed.

in canada, i know we have to give 30 days notice from the first of the month and the amount for residential is prescrbed by law each year as a % allowed.

Sep 22, 2009
can someone give the rules and laws on getting your rent increased. is there a time given, is there a amount or % allowed.

in canada, i know we have to give 30 days notice from the first of the month and the amount for residential is prescrbed by law each year as a % allowed.

Generally speaking:

When the lease is up, you give the renters a heads up that you're going to jack the rent. Or, one may go to renew and find out he's jacking the rent and never warned you. You can stay or you can go rent elsewhere.

You can't touch the rent rate during the a given contract term.

A management company "may" have their own policy, so you need check that out ahead of time. Individual owners do more or less as they please in terms of raising/lower rents between contract periods.

There "may" exist caps on rent increase %s, but I personally have never heard of such a thing.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I can't tell you the figures but rentals have gone sky high over the last year. I lived in a nicely secured appartment self contained, pool, gardeners, laundry services, private parking etc etc etc. This same property this year has gone up %25, plus bills ontop that were inclusive before.

People can't handle it, hence lots of people moving down the coast now before the prices go crazy there also.

I'm not going to say where it is as this is unfair to those scrapping a living from this as we all seem to be these days.

wow,
surprised to hear.
while rents skyrocketed here in PC during 2007 and 2008 in 2009 they went downhill like crazy.
last year it would have been a lucky shot to find a 2 bedroom house with garden not-furniched for less than 600-800US$.
now you can get 2 bedroom houses with commune pool, partly and sometimes full furniched, starting at $360.- per month, and many are empty, so they will not get up soon.
i seem to remember to read a longer while ago on an other thread that rents can be increased by up to 10% per year, but couldn't find the posts with the search function now.
basically, law or not, it is handled like described above:
the landlord informs you about a increase a month ahead of time and you have the option to accept or move, independend on%%% of the increase.
Mike

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Mike is right. Rents can go up, up to 10% by law, but only if BOTH parties agree! And one would also like to think that this would be meant for rents in local currency (which depreciates historically).
As I have dared to wonder before, nobody has yet been able to tell me what happens if the tenants show a lack of enthusiasm for a rate hike, in other words, a mutual agreement is not reached.
Many landlords misinterpret the law thinking they can hike the rent 10% just automatically. They can't. But they could make a tenant's life miserable... and on the other hand, a tenant can make being a landlord a loosing business too.

Prices: Some landlords have eventually started to read the numbers on the wall and lowered their rents, as Mike indicated. Others, mainly some misguided local would be landlords, have raised them, arguing that they haven't made a buck in years and now need more :tired:.

Rents have gone up in the past 18 months in some regions hardest hit by the mortgage crisis raging in other countries like the US, where a lot of people lost their homes and had to become tenants. More tenants = higher rents. But that's not an explanation which fits this market here.

... J-D.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The law restricts rent increases. This is from a former post.

Dominican law is very protective of tenant rights. The owner cannot just raise the rent at will. He would have to go through a lengthy administrative procedure. If the owner refuses to accept the rent, the tenant can deposit it at the nearest Banco Agricola.

Sep 22, 2009

Dominican law is very protective of tenant rights. The owner cannot just raise the rent at will. He would have to go through a lengthy administrative procedure. If the owner refuses to accept the rent, the tenant can deposit it at the nearest Banco Agricola.

Doctor, is this to mean during the lease term or between lease terms for a "renewal"?

Thanks,
G

The landlord can not raise the rent unless you agree to pay the raise!!! Read what Fabio has posted. If the landlord refuses to accept your rent,you simply deposit the funds in the banco agricola and the landlord will spend months or years attempting to collect this rent.

Sep 22, 2009
The landlord can not raise the rent unless you agree to pay the raise!!! Read what Fabio has posted. If the landlord refuses to accept your rent,you simply deposit the funds in the banco agricola and the landlord will spend months or years attempting to collect this rent.

Yes. However, that's not the WHOLE story, because it cannot possibly cover major capital improvements during a multi-year lease.

It depends.

Telling someone to "go read" another post is a waste of time. Better to say nothing than to contribute rhetoric.

But thank god you were there to advise. Sorry, the issue stands still.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
what issue stands still|?
for a raise of the rent there need to be the agreement about the max of 10% per year rent raise between landlord and tenant.
that agreement is not been reached, so the tenant pays still the old rent to the landlord.
if the landlord refuses to accept the payment b/c he thinks he is entitled to more, the tenant can deposit the rent(old amount, not the raised one) to the banco agricular stated by Sr Guzman, that means he paid his rent according to his existing contract and by following all rules.
what the landlord can do aboput it?
he can try to cancel the existing contract, to do so he needs to notify the tenant by written letters about that and there are timeframes etc etc involved to get a punctually paying tenant outtha house.

and the landlord gets a heck to get his rent deposirted at the banco agricula.
Mike

Reactions: badpiece33
Yes. However, that's not the WHOLE story, because it cannot possibly cover major capital improvements during a multi-year lease.

It depends.

Telling someone to "go read" another post is a waste of time. Better to say nothing than to contribute rhetoric.

But thank god you were there to advise. Sorry, the issue stands still.

Ok why dont you just pay your rent increase while the rest of us who know the rules keep paying our cheaper rates.If you dont like the answers dont post the questions.

what issue stands still|?
for a raise of the rent there need to be the agreement about the max of 10% per year rent raise between landlord and tenant.
that agreement is not been reached, so the tenant pays still the old rent to the landlord.
if the landlord refuses to accept the payment b/c he thinks he is entitled to more, the tenant can deposit the rent(old amount, not the raised one) to the banco agricular stated by Sr Guzman, that means he paid his rent according to his existing contract and by following all rules.
what the landlord can do aboput it?
he can try to cancel the existing contract, to do so he needs to notify the tenant by written letters about that and there are timeframes etc etc involved to get a punctually paying tenant outtha house.

and the landlord gets a heck to get his rent deposirted at the banco agricula.
Mike

Thanks Mike I didnt have the time earlier this morning to post all of that, I thought people would understand.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha,
great BP,
let's hope it got understood now, lol.
Waytogo,
the answers above been all ment to "Rentals",
iif that rental is a room, a appartment, a piece of a house or a whole house doesn't matter, it is a rental with a prior agreed rate written down in a rental contract for that rental.

just curious,
you are not the same Waytogo who is a destination expert for the punta cana forum on the Tripadvisor travel bord?
the same bordname may be just a coincedence.
happy eve
Mike

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
ha ha,
great BP,
let's hope it got understood now, lol.
Waytogo,
the answers above been all ment to "Rentals",
iif that rental is a room, a appartment, a piece of a house or a whole house doesn't matter, it is a rental with a prior agreed rate written down in a rental contract for that rental.

just curious,
you are not the same Waytogo who is a destination expert for the punta cana forum on the Tripadvisor travel bord?
the same bordname may be just a coincedence.
happy eve
Mike

Nope, just a coincedence. He's probably younger and better looking.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Ok why dont you just pay your rent increase while the rest of us who know the rules keep paying our cheaper rates.If you dont like the answers dont post the questions.

Badpiece. Slow down. There is a valid point here.

If you read what gringobiz' question was, you see that Mr. Guzman's answer could be seen as ambiguous.

The question implied, I think, by gringobiz was.... "How much can the rent be jacked up at the start of a new lease cycle?"

A new lease cycle means a new agreement, which means new terms etc. If the landlord would like to increase the rent in the new agreement I would think that the renter’s options would be either to accept the new terms and pay the new rent OR move out. What is unclear is if there is a third option of not renewing the lease with the new terms thereby SQUATTING on the property, while at the same time making deposits of the old rent value to banco agricular.

The first time I read Mr. Guzman’s response, I interpreted it to mean only that a landlord cannot raise the rent inside the time of a lease cycle.

Do you now see how this can be seen as ambiguous?

Sep 22, 2009
Badpiece. Slow down. There is a valid point here.

If you read what gringobiz' question was, you see that Mr. Guzman's answer could be seen as ambiguous.

The question implied, I think, by gringobiz was.... "How much can the rent be jacked up at the start of a new lease cycle?"

A new lease cycle means a new agreement, which means new terms etc. If the landlord would like to increase the rent in the new agreement I would think that the renter?s options would be either to accept the new terms and pay the new rent OR move out. What is unclear is if there is a third option of not renewing the lease with the new terms thereby SQUATTING on the property, while at the same time making deposits of the old rent value to banco agricular.

The first time I read Mr. Guzman?s response, I interpreted it to mean only that a landlord cannot raise the rent inside the time of a lease cycle.

Do you now see how this can be seen as ambiguous?

I wasn't going to respond, but I just have to:

This is correct. As well, my question was a point trying to get across. I was not seeking advice on the matter.

The irony here: Mike Fisher and Badpiece were very happy to make it personal with the typical DR1 expat old-timers "throw out a cheap stab at a poster or replier" which is simply a waste of humanity. It was even said that "I", gringobiz, was not clear on the issue, what that was never in question. Simply take pot shots at a replier. There's value in that!

Mike and Bad, feel free to email. I would love to see how would follow through on this.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
GringoBizAdvisor, I think there is one thing you may not have yet come to realize:

- WE value Attorney Fabio Guzman's contributions on this board very much. -

As you may know, Mr. Fabio Guzman, not only heads the offices of the well known law firm Guzman Ariza and also is a paying advertiser on dr1 but also has a long history of having taken time to clear up legal questions as a host, and consultant in a professional manner on this board, pro bono. Given Mr. Guzman's occupation and thus most likely tight time schedule, most here have come to appreciate even his shortest comments.

The subject of rent increases has been discussed here several times, as Mr. Guzman pointed out. I don't think there is anything wrong about inviting the OP and other interested readers to use the search function of this board by indicating the presence of potentially further information.

WayToGo: As I have come to understand from previous discussions on renting real property on this forum, the local law would not differentiate between, house, apartment and EVEN commercial leases.

... J-D.

Sep 22, 2009
GringoBizAdvisor, I think there is one thing you may not have yet come to realize:

- WE value Attorney Fabio Guzman's contributions on this board very much. -

As you may know, Mr. Fabio Guzman, not only heads the offices of the well known law firm Guzman Ariza and also is a paying advertiser on dr1 but also has a long history of having taken time to clear up legal questions as a host, and consultant in a professional manner on this board, pro bono. Given Mr. Guzman's occupation and thus most likely tight time schedule, most here have come to appreciate even his shortest comments.

The subject of rent increases has been discussed here several times, as Mr. Guzman pointed out. I don't think there is anything wrong about inviting the OP and other interested readers to use the search function of this board by indicating the presence of potentially further information.

WayToGo: As I have come to understand from previous discussions on renting real property on this forum, the local law would not differentiate between, house, apartment and EVEN commercial leases.

... J-D.

Ok, JD, you too.

WHERE does it indicate anything contra the input of Dr. Guzman. You're so way off base here. This is insane. Let's YOU and I go through the Legal Forum together, shall we buddy??

Oh, I already did, looking for valuable info many times. What did I find BESIDES very very helpful comments from Dr. Guzman? A bunch of rhetoric, banter and gossip from many, many other members.

Don't worry pal, This is some failed attempt to put me on the spot in a more serious light by invoking the name of Dr. Guzman.

I have dismissed your comment as well. Please save yourself time in the future and show me empirical data before unhinging the bat cave.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Others, mainly some misguided local would be landlords, have raised them, arguing that they haven't made a buck in years and now need more :tired:.
How true. I suppose Adam Smith didn't have the DR in mind when he formulated his economic theories.

J D Sauser said:
Rents have gone up in the past 18 months in some regions hardest hit by the mortgage crisis raging in other countries like the US, where a lot of people lost their homes and had to become tenants. More tenants = higher rents. But that's not an explanation which fits this market here.

... J-D.
Not always the case. My family is deep into the real estate rental market in a couple of US cities.

What we're seeing is an erosion in rental rates because there is a new flood of properties on the market, many former foreclosures. The demand for rentals has increased, but the supply of properties has also increased...and many of them rented at levels ~below~ the former stasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.