Property Title Problems

Mercy

Feb 18, 2002
What does the Dominican Republic does with lawyers that manipulate the law to their own benefit?

I know of a few cases where certain property owners are losing their land to some thieves who are selling such property and acquiring fake titles from certain so called lawyers. What is the procedure to bring those (thieves and lawyers) to justice?

Thank you.

Mercy

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR does NOTHING

They're all in on it together. Its buyer beware. If you ever get entangled in the DR lawyer "system" you will regret it the rest of your life. Its even worse than getting involved with fffffffin lawyers in the US. Do your homework up front. Once $ changes hands here it very very rarely comes back to you ( I would have said never but I never say never, its as close to never as you can get).;)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Selling land that does not belong to one, is a favorite sport in the DR, almost as popular as baseball. On the North Coast (not limited to here I'm sure), there is a lawyer mafia that has great influence on the courts, judges, and title registery. People who fight the system, or make waves, usually become 'pariahs' or 'outcasts' of the system, and sometimes worse.

In Santo Domingo and Santiago, its not so prevalent, but in the smaller towns, corruption reigns.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There are lawyers outside the system (big firms from Santo Domingo usually) that can come into the system and shake things up, for a specific case. They will threaten the crooks involved with sanctions from the National courts.

The other option is to become part of the system, and pay off the right people.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
title

Well I say use title insurance !!
Stewart or First American !!!
Carib

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
The system is getting better and the government is trying to address the problem. That being said a good reputable lawyer is the best route to go. I was lucky as a friends sister is in real estate in Santo Domingo and she brokered our property purchase for us. We had a number snags relating to the title that were all resolved before ANY money changed hands.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Selling land that does not belong to one, is a favorite sport in the DR, almost as popular as baseball. On the North Coast (not limited to here I'm sure), there is a lawyer mafia that has great influence on the courts, judges, and title registery. People who fight the system, or make waves, usually become 'pariahs' or 'outcasts' of the system, and sometimes worse.

In Santo Domingo and Santiago, its not so prevalent, but in the smaller towns, corruption reigns.

Sometime I wish the North Coast would just break off and fall into the ocean. If it weren't for the fact that the daughters like to go to the beach once in a while I would never visit that place. I have never seen or heard of so many sharks in my life.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Like I said

I have purchased various properties... by the way, it is said that La Altigracia (Higuey, Bavaro, Punta Cana, etc.) is where most fraud occurs...... TITLE INSURANCE... and let them handle the closing and all papers....
Thats my opinion... in the USA and the DR !
carib:chinese:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I have purchased various properties... by the way, it is said that La Altigracia (Higuey, Bavaro, Punta Cana, etc.) is where most fraud occurs...... TITLE INSURANCE... and let them handle the closing and all papers....
Thats my opinion... in the USA and the DR !
carib:chinese:

I too have purchased various properties in La Altagracia ( in Higuey and close to Higuey) and never had any problems to obtain the title. I now have sold all of them, ca$h of course, without any problems either.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
Don't waste your time and money on a law suit the chances are very rare that you get a decent trial or even worst get a penny back. Even worst you would probably end up spend more on legal fees.

A decent lawyer would tell you the same....I been there not worth it!!!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Sometime I wish the North Coast would just break off and fall into the ocean. If it weren't for the fact that the daughters like to go to the beach once in a while I would never visit that place. I have never seen or heard of so many sharks in my life.

Don't be too hard on the north coast Chip, there are a lot of good hard working people here trying to do things right and to make it a good place to live. It takes time, don't write us off just yet :bunny:

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008

Totally agree!!!!

carib

Jul 16, 2002
lawsuit

FYI
If you use title insurance the lawsuit would be settled in the US...
The insurance company wants to avoid suits and will take actions to correct or settle.
This is my opinion ans experience
carib

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
From what I've read and hear (no personal experience, thank God), the scam usually involves not just corrupt officials and a criminally minded seller but apparently almost always a corrupt buyer's lawyer siding with the seller.
The first step, for a conned buyer, would thus seem to drop that lawyer and seek a reputable lawyer, knowledgeable, willing and capable to take on the system. I think that can be found here. There may be few cases where this will be extremely difficult when it involves going after high ranking government officials. But then, deals at that level are seldom and would also have required a more prepared heavier "investor".
As others pointed out, it's not just a typical North Coast phenomenon. There was a time not too long ago, where there was something similar to almost an "industry" of people picking up new "investors" and showing them around by helicopter and treating them to meals and nights in luxury hotels. Some were were even out of Santo Domingo and had ties to government officials. But these were "big" deals... for miles of coconut tree lined virgin beaches. Interestingly enough, even most shoe shine boys would know what was going on, and that these choppers were carrying "palomos" who were going to again "buy" some land and get stripped of all their cash.
Smaller deals, like homes and lots, seem to now have become quite safe to transact, as long as buyers lawyer up seriously from the get go on and do listen to their lawyer, even on the evil North Coast.

OP, seek a reputable, well connected and in the matter knowledgeable law firm with a good and long history and expose your case to them. Tell them EVERYTHING. Most cons involve the conned. In other words, the mark is usually manipulated in doing or not doing quite elementary things which at the end of the day, can make the conned look stupid... tell everything to your lawyer. Unless you are prepared to follow Hillbilly's suggestion, that's the only way I see.
Con artists also thrive in part from their supposition that once the mark is "finished" they generally will give up or continue doing things the wrong way. So, reorganizing yourself would be your first edge against them.

... J-D.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You cannot prevent somebody from suing you, even if that person has no rights at all. If your title is clear, your lawyer will have no problems in getting the suit thrown out of court.