chicago to samana questions....

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to get to Samana from Chicago. Fly to Santo Domingo and then drive? Fly to POP then take a gua-gua? Fly to PUJ? Help! Also, we want to see the whales in Feb., but want to spend most of our time exploring the peninsula. Any suggestions on the best ways to see the peninsula? Would like to get a few days in whale watching then see Las Galeras and Las Terranas. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best ways to get around and what would be the best order to do things. I've been to the peninsula before but only briefly. This would be a 9 or 10 day trip. Any and all suggestions welcome. We would like to keep travel costs fairly low, so flying across the island is not ideal. It cost quite a bit to do that the last few times we were there. We prefer busses/guaguas and will consider driving if it's not too crazy! Thanks, Rebecca

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
Samana LG/LT

Not sure if it is possible from Chicago as we are from Toronto, but try to find a flight to Samana, El Catey airport. From there you are close to both LG and LT. Other than that, either POP or Santo Domingo will mean about a 4hr bus ride to Samana, where you can catch a gua-gua to either destination. There is a bus from Santo Domingo that goes direct to LG twice a day, but not sure where to catch it. Punta Cana is the worst option due to the road infrastructure.

Las Galeras would be a good place to base yourself... Lots of accomodation at reasonable price and very close to whales, virgin beaches etc. However if you are looking for more of a party atmosphere, Las Terrenas would be a better base... Depends on what you are looking for.

Hope this helps..
T&K

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
since there are no flights from the US to el catay airport and since it is such a hassle to get from santo domingo to samana peninsula i would opt for the flight to toronto and there to el catay. to fly into santo domingo you would need a taxi to the bus station then a guagua or bus to las terrenas or las galaras then a taxi to wherever you would be staying. if adventurous you can rent a car at santo domingo airport and take the new samana highway which would only take 2-2.5 hrs.(a taxi from there will cost at least $200) to fly to punta cana you would need a local flight to samana and depending on your budget may be an option. i think it is around $150 pp good luck and happy travels, the search function may serve you as this topic is a fairly common one... ben

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
If you want to explore the peninsula you really should think about flying into SDQ, renting a car, and taking the new highway directly to Samana. Send a few days in Samana to go whale watching and exploring then head to Las Galeras for a few days. Take the boat over to Playa Rincon [a must visit], and then head out from LG early in morning to Limon and take a horseback ride up the mountain to the waterfalls [another must visit, IMO], have lunch at a local colomado [I know I killed the spelling of that word] and then head to Las Terranas. You can easily access the new highway heading back to SDQ from LT. As long as you don't drive at night the driving should be a piece of cake, much less costly than a taxi, and much more convenient than trying to navigate via guagua or Caribe Tours. The new Samana highway is beautiful. Have a great trip!

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Everything from the previous post (RonS) makes the most sense. Heed the note of "No Night Driving" & you will have a great trip...

Enjoy !!

lt

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
Hello my fellow Chicagoan (I now live in Atlanta so I am now a Southern Bell). Anywho, I lived in Samana and it is really cheap to travel by public transport. Fly into SDQ (Santo Domingo) and get a taxi to Caribe Tours. Caribe Tours is around 280pesos/9.50 dollars per person (but bring your winter coat because they like to ride with the air as cold as the lakefront in the middle of January). Just kidding, a sweater will do. The most expensive cost will be a taxi to/from the airport to Caribe Tours, around 800 pesos, but that was a year ago. And always remember to get the taxi price before you get in. Once in Samana you can get a guagua/bus or moto/motorcycle from between 10-20 pesos to travel in the city of Samana or if you are traveling the penisula from Samana to Las Galeras and Las Terrenas the most you will likely pay is 100 pesos/3 dollars. Please keep in mind that these are rough estimates, but should be pretty close. You have not experienced Samana until you have held a strangers baby or chicken in your lap riding in a crowded guagua made for 15 but packed with 25. Have a nice trip.

vonstier

Jun 20, 2009
I just spent last weekend out in Las Galeras..its just great out there...anyway I have a friend who has a small simple house for rent. Take a look at her website
La Casa Calliope de Las Galeras
see if this is some thing that will work for you....I know some others too.
G

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hi Rebecca--
I'm originally from Chicago (Evanston) and we own a small rental house in Las Terrenas (unfortunately we're fully booked thru the end of March)
I also agree with RonS' advice: Get a rental car at SDQ (Thrifty is only $180/week!) and follow his suggested itinerary-- Las Galeras is a great place to visit but too far away to serve as a good base-- Obviously, we prefer Las Terrenas!
Have a great time-
Susan