New question regarding childsupport

uptownblk

Mar 4, 2009
Hello all,

I have a question regarding the child support rate of payment. I'm a NY resident but the female resides in DR and I visit once a month for a week or so. If we were to get pregnant I'd take the steps to make the situation as comfortable and drama free as possible (make sure its mine). But being a NY'r I know females are FULL of game, smoke and mirrors. If it came down to me paying child support... What would the rate be? I mean would it be at a DR rate or a NY state rate. She lives and is a DR resident. Could the DR government enforce the child support rate and a NY level?

Thanks

Ramondon

Jul 27, 2009
I am not an attorney but I am talking about my own experience. They pretty much calculate how much it costs to support the child and they divide it since she is responsible for 1/2 and you the other 1/2. In my case it was $10,000 pesos a month they calculated so I was only responsible for $5,000.00 pesos a month but I believed that to be too little so I voluntarily give her $400.00 a month. Child support in the Dominican Republic is much more reasonable than in the States. And no they do not have jurisdiction to come after you in the states and make sure the money goes thru Tribunal de menores that way she can never stop you from leaving the DR if you choose to leave. If they find a sucker they try to take advantage as much as possible. And find a good attorney.

Sep 22, 2009
Hello all,

I have a question regarding the child support rate of payment. I'm a NY resident but the female resides in DR and I visit once a month for a week or so. If we were to get pregnant I'd take the steps to make the situation as comfortable and drama free as possible (make sure its mine). But being a NY'r I know females are FULL of game, smoke and mirrors. If it came down to me paying child support... What would the rate be? I mean would it be at a DR rate or a NY state rate. She lives and is a DR resident. Could the DR government enforce the child support rate and a NY level?

Thanks

Well, there's 2 ways to spin this

1) The mother petitions for support in DR
2) Petitions for support in NY

I am not aware of her rights to petition in NY, but you need check with an attorney. Here is the website: https://newyorkchildsupport.com/

The way it works for Interstate paternity cases is the following:

The petitioner applies in their resident state. The resident state, in turn, issue and order for the resident state of the father (in your case NY). The enforcement jurisdiction is NY State, but the orginating order is the state where the mother applied. All you "see" is NY for your part.

As I said, the mother may be able to petition for support which is enforceable in NY state -- or maybe not - I don't know.

As for DR, I am certain that you would first need to declare the child for it to be recognized by the courts.

If you have to pay in NY, the rate is a function of the respective INCOMES of BOTH parents.

Is there a way for an inter-DR case to be enforced in the US? I think this is a Hague issue and, again, need to consult an attorney.

uptownblk

Mar 4, 2009
Paying is not an issue I just know that NY will screw me if she could get it at the NY/US rate which is something like 17% of my gross, which in my case is almost $1500 US a month. If its a DR rate I would pay more than what the courts recommend anyway.

Thanks...

Sep 22, 2009
Paying is not an issue I just know that NY will screw me if she could get it at the NY/US rate which is something like 17% of my gross, which in my case is almost $1500 US a month. If its a DR rate I would pay more than what the courts recommend anyway.

Thanks...

If someone is filing a paternity claim, it is [generally] because the other party was either denying paternity or refused support.

Like my wife says: "Eres tu que sabes"

Hello all,

Thanks

Your best bet is to keep a good relationship with the mother of your child once you are sure its yours and take care of your kid as best you can 400-500 a month should be fine to support your kid in style and bring a suitcase of clothes for the kid when you come and you should never be brought into court, but always keep receipts of everything you bring or send.Always better to stay away from the courts.

tranquilogringo

Feb 26, 2006
DNA tests are available in Santo Domingo.

Patria Rivas do DNA in DR (US Embassy approved).

Tel: 809-685-0950

Cost is US$ 350 if walk-in, double that if sent by Embassy.