Re: Safe swimming beaches

S

Susanne

I will go with most of the advice you have been getting, especially about Samana where Playa Blanca (I think it is called) just to the right of Playa Las Galeras itself is very safe as well as lovely.

Don't stay away from Playa El Valle - it is an amazing sight - but don't go swimming there, even if you were a superb swimmer this could be dangerous. Big waves, strong undertow and rocks to both sides of the beach. But it is definitely worth spending a day there. It is very desolated, surrounded by dense, tropical forest.

Some other beaches on the North Coast: Cofresi and Cabarete are probably not your best bet, although Cofresi on a calm day should be OK. Cabarete is windy and excellent for surfing but not a good choice for an untrained swimmer. Playa Dorado is fairly shallow, Costambar is shallow and protected by a coral reef (bring sandals, corals in the water). Sosua is supposed to be great for both adults and children. Further West I am out of my depths...

A word of advice: NO beach is totally safe. You could drown in a puddle. So if you are not a trained swimmer, never go further out than untill the water reaches your waistline. This will make for plenty good swimming and playing and you won't panic when all of a sudden you cannot reach the bottom and you are far from the shore. Panic is probably the number one cause of drowning. Don't swim alone. If you have problems you are less likely to panic knowing there is somebody else to help.

And DON'T go drifting on floaters unless they are securely tied to the shore. In Denmark where I come from a couple of tourist drown every year because they do that, not realizing the danger of drifting out into the open sea before it is far, far too late. You have to be a strong swimmer - and a coolheaded one - to make it back in if you are way out on a tide. Learn how to float on your back and how to swim on your back (it is easy and enjoyable). This is energy saving in case you in spite of everything have gotten too far out and need a little rest on your way in.

Enjoy yourself. I am sure you will be just fine.

Regards,
Susanne

R

Rick

Thanks to all of you for your most helpful ideas. I have printed them all out and will take them along on the trip with us.