Barrels to the D R from New York

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I am tryingto get a barrel filled to send to some people I know in La Caleta outside of Boca Chica- but not sure what they would really want- they are very poor, so I was thinking food stuf I suppose , but what can I send? Has anyone done this before and which are reputable companies in New York to do this? I was going to use Econocaribe- I saw an advert in the paper..any advice much appreciated MIke /Queens

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
not sure what they would really want- they are very poor, so I was thinking food stuf I suppose ,

We have sent a barrel to my husband's family and included the following - tins of tuna, salmon, sardines (in tomato sauce), shrimp, corned beef, etc., tomato paste, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, tins of beans and bags of dried beans and lentils, powdered milk, tins of fruit, dried salt cod, toothpaste, various types of pasta, Kraft dinner, couscous, cocoa powder, powerdered drink crystals, bags of spices, ketchup, maple syrup, pancake mix, oatmeal, tins of Carnation evaporated milk, tins of coconut milk, flavoured coffee (since they arlready have the best coffee available), tins of corn, peas or potatoes, tins of canned pasta and soups, boxes of Liptons chicken noodle soup (powdered mix with dried noodles), chicken and beef boullion cubes, deoderants, baby powder, bars of fancy soap, anything from the dollar store (ie. plastic plates, cups, tea towels, candies, kitchen utensils, colouring books and crayons, coloured pencils, school supplies like calculators, bound three hole lined paper books, barbies, pens, pencils, stickers for kids, yoyos, chalk, tin foil, etc.), cheap flip flops from Old Navy, any clothes from my husband and I that are too small or we don't want anymore, sewing supplies like thread and needles, over the counter pills like Advil and Tylenol, Band-Aids, Glad resealable baggies, tape (scotch, packing and duct tape), resealable plastic microwavable containers, perfume or cologne, make-up, books in English and anything else that is non-perishable and you can stuff in the box! We did not send any rice or white sugar because it's widely available and weighs a lot in the box. Also, when buying things in the grocery store, remember that everything is going to weigh a lot and will crush things like cereal and crackers, etc. Buy oatmeal or pancake mix in a bag. Going to a bulk store to buy things like nuts, oatmeal and flour is also a good idea but make sure to double bag. Trust me, they will be over the moon with any of the above items. We also like to throw in a few items that they may not be able to get in the DR (food things) and they are excited to try new things.

The cheapest way to do a box (as we learned when we tried to fill it in the course of one week) is to get the box/barrel and leave it in your home for several months and every time you go shopping, buy a few extra things to put in the box otherwise you could easily be looking at several hundred dollars to fill it. If it's a box and not an actual barrel, make sure you tape it first before you put anything in it and just leave one end open that you can close and tape up once full. Use duct tape instead of clear tape because it's stronger.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Jan 9, 2004
Whether sending a barrel or a box....

this is an excellent list of items to send.

I would also add to your list those small one pound +/- canned hams that do not require refrigeration. These can be found in stores like Walgreens.

One tip about duct tape. If you do use it (I recommend reinforcing the bottom and top of the box with it) you also should go over it with packaging tape. Duct tape by itself will lift right off of the cardboard when exposed to heat. Using packaging tape over it insures it stays adhered throughout the journey.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

We have sent a barrel to my husband's family and included the following - tins of tuna, salmon, sardines (in tomato sauce), shrimp, corned beef, etc., tomato paste, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, tins of beans and bags of dried beans and lentils, powdered milk, tins of fruit, dried salt cod, toothpaste, various types of pasta, Kraft dinner, couscous, cocoa powder, powerdered drink crystals, bags of spices, ketchup, maple syrup, pancake mix, oatmeal, tins of Carnation evaporated milk, tins of coconut milk, flavoured coffee (since they arlready have the best coffee available), tins of corn, peas or potatoes, tins of canned pasta and soups, boxes of Liptons chicken noodle soup (powdered mix with dried noodles), chicken and beef boullion cubes, deoderants, baby powder, bars of fancy soap, anything from the dollar store (ie. plastic plates, cups, tea towels, candies, kitchen utensils, colouring books and crayons, coloured pencils, school supplies like calculators, bound three hole lined paper books, barbies, pens, pencils, stickers for kids, yoyos, chalk, tin foil, etc.), cheap flip flops from Old Navy, any clothes from my husband and I that are too small or we don't want anymore, sewing supplies like thread and needles, over the counter pills like Advil and Tylenol, Band-Aids, Glad resealable baggies, tape (scotch, packing and duct tape), resealable plastic microwavable containers, perfume or cologne, make-up, books in English and anything else that is non-perishable and you can stuff in the box! We did not send any rice or white sugar because it's widely available and weighs a lot in the box. Also, when buying things in the grocery store, remember that everything is going to weigh a lot and will crush things like cereal and crackers, etc. Buy oatmeal or pancake mix in a bag. Going to a bulk store to buy things like nuts, oatmeal and flour is also a good idea but make sure to double bag. Trust me, they will be over the moon with any of the above items. We also like to throw in a few items that they may not be able to get in the DR (food things) and they are excited to try new things.

The cheapest way to do a box (as we learned when we tried to fill it in the course of one week) is to get the box/barrel and leave it in your home for several months and every time you go shopping, buy a few extra things to put in the box otherwise you could easily be looking at several hundred dollars to fill it. If it's a box and not an actual barrel, make sure you tape it first before you put anything in it and just leave one end open that you can close and tape up once full. Use duct tape instead of clear tape because it's stronger.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Now that I've had more time to think about it, I would also add:

tins of cocktail sausages (those little mini hotdogs in a can), peanut butter, jam, jars of olives and capers, cormeal, honey, bottle of whiskey, olive oil (very expensive in DR) and vinegar.

Jan 9, 2004
Your list probably deserves...

sticky status.

Additionally, M&M's (plain or peanut), any and all paper products (bathroom tissue, paper towels, napkins, etc.) as well as laundry detergent are mighty expensive in the colmados/supermercado.

My shipper indicates not to ship alcohol as the boxes are routinely scanned and prohibited items (alcohol is one) are confiscated.

To the original OP, there are many shippers in NY, ask around for recommendations, or perhaps some of the NY posters here will respond with their suggestions.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Now that I've had more time to think about it, I would also add:

tins of cocktail sausages (those little mini hotdogs in a can), peanut butter, jam, jars of olives and capers, cormeal, honey, bottle of whiskey, olive oil (very expensive in DR) and vinegar.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Here are some New York shipping companies as posted by AlterEgo in another post from January of this year:

"We live near Atlantic City - we use either Bella Vista or Montero Shipping, they're both out of the Bronx - but they have trucks that come down all over south Jersey [and I assume north Jersey] and Philadelphia picking up the boxes or barrels. We like to use the tanks/barrels because we have a lot of land in the DR and we fill them with water for the 'down times' of electric or water, or if the water pump decides to be difficult one day. For us it's worth the extra $20, but otherwise the shipper will give you a giant cardboard box free of charge.
Name: Embarque Bella Vista Inc [my husband likes them best]
Street: 1170 Randall Avenue
Bronx, ny 10474-6216
Phone: (718) 378-5252
or
MONTERO Shipping [several locations in USA]
Toll free: 800.295.7710
Email: info@monteroshipping.net
New York:
2341 Hoffman St.
Bronx, NY 10458
Tel. 718-295-8149
Fax 718-561-6655
Wash DC:
6908 23rd Avenue
Hyattsville, MD 20783
Tel. 202-291-3411
Fax 202-270-6870
Santo Domingo:
C/ Los Trovadores 12 / Edificio Montero 1
Las Palmas Alma Rosa,
Santo Domingo, RD
Tel. 809-591-1107
Fax 809-593-3591
Miami :
3304 N.W. 38th Street
Miami, FL. 33142
Tel. 305-633-0205
Fax 305-633-0207"

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
the whisky made me laugh- thanks - some good ideas- and yes, olive oil is not cheap there.. cheers MIke

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the stuff

I know that it must be great to unpack the barrels of stuff really

but have you really priced this out?

all the things that you listed are readily available here in SD

would not the money be better spent setting up a fund for the kids to go to college?

just asking

just what we would do in my family

just a suggestion

i mean to ship pasta sauce?

when we EXPORT tomatoes?

this does not make ANY sense to me....

But, of course, perhaps you do not have to work for your money.

I know that it grows on trees over there in the States

at least that is the impression that you are giving

it is like Christmas every day

barrels of extra food which we do not really need arriving everyday

no wonder they have no work ethic

Jan 9, 2004
People ship barrels/boxes...

for a multitude of reasons.

This was discussed and a cost/benefit breakdown was done in another thread. Many times electro-domestics are added to the barrel/box and the net is a savings, with the barrel being put to later use as a tinaco.

As evidenced by how big a business this has become, many Dominicans would rather send food, etc., than send money and wonder if it was put to good use.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

would not the money be better spent setting up a fund for the kids to go to college?

just asking

just a suggestion

when we EXPORT tomatoes?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004

just asking

just a suggestion

when we EXPORT tomatoes?

In addition to what playacaribe2 said, I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Do you have family there? If not, let me tell you that buying items in Canada or the U.S. to send to the DR, including sending old clothes and some gifts, gives you a better feeling that just sending money. Back here in Canada we donate food to the local food bank at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter and I always like filling a bag with needed goods rather than donating a lump sum of money and not knowing exactly what it's getting spent on. Having no work ethic has nothing to do with friends or family abroad sending barrels/boxes. My husband?s family work for their money but having extra food really helps. My husband has been in Canada 4 ? years and we sent one in September and it was the first time we had done it. It felt good. His family was very thankful and excited to get a package from my husband and I. It made my husband feel good knowing that his money was going to good use to help out his family. As for helping the local Dominican economy, we do that every time we come on vacation and spend a couple thousand dollars at local restaurants, etc. and buying Dominican items to bring back home to Canada. Just my two cents.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Thank you Fiesta Mama, but I will not so respectfully respond to the foregoing from mountainannie- obviously she is looking to get me angry with these senseless rantings, and snide comments about the USA and life here; well congratulations- yes, mountainannie, you have succeeded in your little game. Who are you to criticize something like this- how dare you accuse me of being arrogant and casual with money when all I am trying to do is a little good in this world. How dare you assume that I am loaded and rich because I go out of my way to look to help someone in your country. Do not respond to my requests again. To consider my generousity as anything more than what it is,is the pinnacle of insensitivity. Do some homework and see how the people in la caleta and Campo lindo live near Santo Domingo and see if they agree with you that it is so easy for them on 5 bucks a day to buy the items above. Maybe you are someone with a bit of cash - help your own people out and give them a decent living- maybe then others like myself won;t feel compelled to act because you will not. I love the D R and will continue to do what I feel is necessary to make life a little easier for my friends there; you just take it easy and enjoy yourself while others do what is needed..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I am not suggesting

that you do not help your people

i am just wondering if you have actually sat down and figured out the economics of the shipping costs and whether the money is wisely spent

is it better for you to spend your money at the dollar store or the walmart in the states and pay the taxes there or

would it be better for you to just send the remesa to the mother here for her to spend the money on whatever it is that she needs for her family? be it rice and beans or school supplies or rent money or whatever.

I know plenty of people here who are just getting by.. just make the rent, and just put the food on the table, so with just the money that you spend for shipping, they would be able to buy the food for the family.

When you buy stuff in the States and send it here, you put money into the economy of the States. When you send money here, you put money into the economy of the DR. When your family buys local produce, they support the local farmers, the local growers, the local canners, every thing. When you send imported things down here, it is like saying that the things that we produce down here, like our local brands are somehow inferior.

That was my point.

Sit down next time and price out the shipping. figure out how much that can of tomato sauce costs to send all the way down here from NY or wherever and see if really this is a wise use of your money.

I can understand that this was a custom from a long time ago, when there were a lot of things that were not here on the island. But you have been back here... you know that we have lots and lots of used clothing here... it is where all the used clothing from the States ends up!! and if you send money, then you put the money into the economy and other Dominicans, as well as your own family prospers.

So I was not questioning the aid

Just the barrels.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
and sure if it Christmas

and yes, Christmas is Christmas

but please, we do export tomatoes.

just be mindful of what you send

and, no, I do not think that mine was a senseless rant.

I always buy the little local produce in the market which sits next to the flood of recent imports from the US .. now that we have DR CAFTA we have lots of veggies and fruits and jams and all sorts of other products which are coming in from the States and it is going to get harder and harder for the local farmers to stay in business.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I understand it puts money in the hands of local farmers and the economy. If that was your point- why didn't you state that dclearly instead of ranting and raving about how the U SA wants to show off its wealth and how I must be rich and want to throw my money around... you seem to have major issues with the USA.. My point isthat - for better or for worse- we have better deals here- I have shopped numerous times with my friend who only works with a motoconcho over there and Ole supermarket where he lives is so far out of this world when it comes to prices in comparison to here, that he can never shop there- I never see deals, I never see buy 2 get 2 free deals, or buy a chicken and get free cooking oil. Sorry to tell you -but yes, we do have deals here and very good ones which unfortunately as I see it your Dominican vendors do not offer the unfortunate poor. So please do not try to come off to me so world-consious and caring about the poor farmers and shopkeepers in the D R when all a family there is worried about is getting a meal which I can provide. Your own vendors can't care a damn about the people and if you think the farmers are getting the proifit think again. Your diatribes about the USA having no work ethic and us simply rolling in cash is simply not true. I have a heart and help my countrymen here too..maybe you should just look at things in their simplest form and get off your soapbox . Obviously you have some issue with the US and how you perceive we run our lives. Don;t write back to me again please-

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
yes I do have issues

First I have never written to you. I am only posting on a public forum.

Second, yes I do have issues with the USA. I am a citizen of the USA. I was born and raised in NYC. I carry the passport. I STILL pay my federal income taxes even though I have lived here in the DR for the last five years. So if I have issues with the US, I am entitled to voice them

Third, here in the Capital, we do indeed have two for one specials. I regularly buy my Axion soap on two for one. I often get two bottles of shampoo. And we do use coupons and specials and points. Now all these things are rolling out here in the Capital so it may take a bit longer for them to get to outer towns like Moca or even La Vega but they will get there. The locally owned super market chain owners are not stupid and they are pretty savy about marketing and all that.

Fourth, when you are sending your electrodomesticas are you bearing in mind the cost of electricity here and how you may be giving your relatives something that is only going to increase their monthly bills?

So I am not trying to object AT ALL to the generosity of spirit that Dominicans in the diaspora are showing when you send things home to help your families, I am just asking you to think harder about it and see the changes that have taken place here over the last 20 years ,,.,,, to help the people who live here understand that they have a

GORGEOUS and BEAUTIFUL and FERTILE country

and really

the last thing that they need is food from the STATES

since we are 85% food sufficient here and that 15% is only stuff that we want, not stuff that we need. All the foods needed for survival are grown here.

nor do they need to be taking yolas and risking their lives to sharks in the open waters to get to the paradise in the Bronx where the money grows on trees

here the mangos grow on trees

if your friend cannot afford to buy at the local supermarket because he only drives a concho, i would suggest that you work on helping him figure out a more lucrative line of work... like a colmado... they are not very expensive to set up..and a much better investment.

Last edited: