Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Last edited:

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
It would be great if they do a London-POP, it will give some competition to Thomson and Thomas Cook (they are getting so greedy...... refused to include food in my flight saying I have to pay for it separately !!!? Since when long-haul flight don't include food !!? And they didn't say _anything_ online when I booked !).

British Airways already flies to Punta Cana with one stop in Caribbean somewhere (not sure if you change to another plane/airline, check on their website, prices not that attractive - and the stop is a pain....). But still an alternative.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I emailed Virgin And here is their answer:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Virgin Atlantic is constantly evaluating numerous new route opportunities. We've evaluated the Dominican Republic market from the UK. Although we are aware of the rumours, currently we don't have any definite plans to fly on this route in the near future.

We do monitor any changes in the market place and will re-evaluate our studies when the need arises. However, new route plans remain confidential until we release news to the press.

Kind Regards
Of course if any of you know Mr Branson personally you could always try persuading him!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I heard they had 17 members of the local press core at WTM (London) to feed back great press to the DR. I wonder how much that little group cost to take over?

I was at WTM (not part of the 17) and I never heard anything about the Virgin deal and it never appeared as an official press release.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
These deal with Virgin include as well, new funding for the already broke, Airdominicana, sources said that some "new" investors will came and try to save the bankrupt airline.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I was at WTM (not part of the 17) and I never heard anything about the Virgin deal and it never appeared as an official press release.

I'm glad you posted that. When the Minister's announcement first made the papers here, I went to the WTM site and scoured the press releases looking for something, anything, to back it up but...........zilch.

So now we have to wonder IF the Minister made the announcement or whether the 17 strong press corps fictionalised it. Nothing new for this government of course, if the Minister pulled this idea out of thin air but the email granca received was pretty clear that this isn't on the books nor even a twinkle in someone's eye.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Sectur did speak with Virgin and there was talk about a POP flight but if it comes at all it will no be before 2011 I hear from reliable sources. Often the press takes possibility to mean probably then becomes yes they're coming but it's way too early to say definitely.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
AD broke ?

These deal with Virgin include as well, new funding for the already broke, Airdominicana, sources said that some "new" investors will came and try to save the bankrupt airline.

Just wondering - how can it be broke already - if it never got an aircraft in the air even?