Reverse remittances

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/16/world/americas/16mexico.html?_r=1&hp

"MIAHUATL?N, Mexico ? During the best of the times, Miguel Salcedo?s son, an illegal immigrant in San Diego, would be sending home hundreds of dollars a month to support his struggling family in Mexico. But at times like these, with the American economy out of whack and his son out of work, Mr. Salcedo finds himself doing what he never imagined he would have to do: wiring pesos north."

This article is about Mexico; I wonder if this is happening with the DR as well

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
It happens commonly with students in the USA coming from rich families in the DR. And I know of one case of a guy living here in the USA and has been helped a couple of times by his mother which lives in the DR.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
It happens commonly with students in the USA coming from rich families in the DR. And I know of one case of a guy living here in the USA and has been helped a couple of times by his mother which lives in the DR.

Extreme..... I don't doubt you for one minute, but throughout my years in DR , I have NEVER seen anybody standing in the "send money" line at any Western Union; the "receive money" line however is usually packed 5 to 10 thick.

I do not think this Mexico trend will be popular in DR.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Extreme..... I don't doubt you for one minute, but throughout my years in DR , I have NEVER seen anybody standing in the "send money" line at any Western Union; the "receive money" line however is usually packed 5 to 10 thick.

I do not think this Mexico trend will be popular in DR.

While you are correct there are exceptions, I have sent to the US, several times.

The reason why you don't see lines in the Western Union lines for the wrong way of the cash flow is Credit cards. Dominicans be it students, or immigrants when leaving the DR, always carry with them the debit card from the DR bank, and the credit card they had while in the DR. In case of emergency if they need the money from the DR, they just swipe the Visa card and then tell their "helper" to deposit the money in the BHD branch (as an example) that is closer to them, it is as easy as that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We sent some $$$ to a Dominican friend in the US who lost his job and was going through a rough patch, of course it happens.