Driving from Santo Domingo to Sosua

Joba62

Nov 16, 2009
I am planning on spending a long weekend in Sosua after concluding business in Santo Domingo. I will be flying into and out of the airport in Santo Domingo. I have looked at the bus schedules, and though they appear workable, they would be very inconvenient and not too compatible with a necessary early morning departure from Sosua.

I am American and in my thirties. I have plenty of experience driving and am able to operate a car in very hectic American driving conditions, such as DC, NY, LA, etc. I have also driven with some success, and no particular failures, in Mexico.

A few questions:

1. I saw the route on Google Earth. Looks generally like I would take Highway 1 to Highway 5. I would avoid the mountain route to stay on more navigable roads. Is the signage reasonable enough that it is fairly easy to remain on course if unfamiliar?

2. Are these roads reasonably paved the entire way? Can I get by with a car, or do I need an SUV?

3. How difficult are the roads around the larger towns?

4. Am I crazy for doing this? Should I just give up and take the bus?

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I always tell newbies to do the cab and bus routine the first time.
It is safer and you can certainly do early if you want to.
How about getting to Sos?a and then checking out your options for renting a car to get back to the Sto Dgo airport??? You can rent a car in Sos?a or Santiago if need be...

Be safe and learn a bit and then go for a rental. There are few places in the world with this traffic and drivers..

HB

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
How's your spanish ( in order to ask for directions ) ? In SD signs really suck so I almost always got lost on the way back to the NE coast, but once you're on the main highway you're almost there...I use the Santiago - Puerto Plata - Sosua route, and if you pay attention to the signs in Santiago ( which are better then in SD ) you should be fine...what I did in my early years I kept few 50 pesos handy just in case I got lost and then ask a motoconcho for directions asking him to lead the way...Just DO NOT drive after dark in the DR. Suerte!

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
As long as you stick to the main roads, you should be fine.......
Make sure you are insured up to the gills and avoid driving in Santo Dom as much as possible, especially in peak hours............

You'll see, once you get there............